Author Topic: Where do they come from? Ebay gun parts that is.  (Read 514 times)

Offline Prof. Fuller Bullspit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Where do they come from? Ebay gun parts that is.
« on: June 17, 2004, 11:06:52 AM »
I browse eBay occasionally and I am amazed by the quantity of partial guns for sale. Where do these parts come from?

For instance I often see three or four slide assemblies for a Ruger semi-auto. Did the owner lose the frame?

Any ideas?

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Where do they come from? Ebay gun parts tha
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 11:59:33 AM »
Somebody in on a "BUY BACK" scheme selling everything that does not have a serial number? I've wondered about that myself.
NRA Lifer

Offline unspellable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
eBay gun parts
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 07:30:15 AM »
eBay does not allow the listing of complete guns or the frames.  On the other hand you can sometimes get more money parting something out.  You can buy a Ruger Old Army around here for $250.  On eBay I've seen the cylinder alone go for $150, the grips for $20, etc.

On the other hand, if you wanted to dispose of a "hot" one you could sell the parts and toss the frame.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Where do they come from? Ebay gun parts tha
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 09:44:04 PM »
Here's a little note I got from eBay that may interest some of you:

"New Guidelines
The following guideline changes, which limit what can be sold on eBay, will take effect June 8th, 2004:

-The sale of any assault weapon-related parts or accessories will not be permitted (applies to all parts and accessories related to any firearm defined as an "assault weapon" by federal or California law).

-The sale of any firearm receiver or firearm frame will not be permitted (whether complete receivers and frames, components and parts of receivers and frames, or "cut," "80%," or "partially complete" receivers)."

I understand eBay's unwillingness to sell receivers, due to the federal restrictions on their transfer.  However, the sale of "parts and accessories" for so-called "assault weapons" shouldn't have been banned, in my opinion.  It especially shouldn't be subject to California's interpretation of the law.  That's why I cancelled my eBay account, and I encourage others to do the same.  My wife is a member of the NRA, same as me, and she was all to happy to give eBay the heave-ho as well.
NRA life member