Author Topic: 1895 Win, .405 Win., developing load for 350 gr. LBT  (Read 353 times)

Offline The Shrink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
1895 Win, .405 Win., developing load for 350 gr. LBT
« on: June 21, 2004, 05:17:02 AM »
Gentlemen

I've never developed a load without data, never developed a smokeless load, and never shot cast in smokeless rifle calibers.  So you can see I'm a complete novice at this end of the process.

I have the Hodgdon data for the 300 gr Hornady and the 400 gr. Woodleigh bullets.  Is there anything wrong with taking a mean of the powder charges between these two bullet weights and use these as my starting point for the 350 gr. cast?  This would give me a start with IMR 4895 of 41.0gr and a hypothetical max of 46.5 gr.

I'm assuming that at these velocities, probably running from a low of around 1800fps to a high of around 2200fps that I can use cast bullets the same as jacketed, i.e. there will not be a substantial difference in loads.  

Someone tell me if I'm heading into trouble with this plan.  

Does anyone know the safe pressures for this rifle.  Hodgdon data keeps them down to under 45,000 psi.  Over on The Accuratereloading.com forums there is a guy talking about taking the 1895 over 60,000 psi.  I sincerely question if I want to do this.

Wayne the Shrink
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!