Author Topic: Cabelas 1862 Army Police 36 cal ?  (Read 970 times)

Offline Hancock

• Trade Count: (0)
Cabelas 1862 Army Police 36 cal ?
« on: June 21, 2004, 03:23:16 PM »
Does anyone have one of these?I ran across it on the Cabelas site,and since then,I can;t find much more information.Was there such a thing (in 1862 I mean)?
Thanks
Kip

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 05:06:02 PM »
Yep, there was such a critter. Five-shot, fluted cylinder, .36 cal.

The originals had 4 1/2, 5 1/2 and 6 1/2" barrels. The shorter barrel was the less-common variant, I believe. There was also a super-rare "trapper" variant with a shorter barrel and no attached loading lever. Colt stopped making the 1872 Police in 1873, I think. Some were converted for rimfire and centerfire metallic cartridges.

There are a lot of reference books detailing the percussion Colt revolvers. Dixie Gun Works is a good place to start looking for them.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903

Offline Flint

police
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
Yes there was, but Cabela's version is really just a short barrelled Navy, 6 shot.  The original was built on the small 49 Pocket frame with a rebated cylinder similar to the 1860 Army to make room for the 36 Caliber, and it was a 5-shot.  The two sister guns were the 1862 Pocket Navy, with an Octagonal barrel like the 1851 Navy and the 1862 Pocket Police with a streamlined round barrel and creeping lever like the 1860 and 61 Colts. As mentioned some, and I might venture most, were offered in conversion form by Colt.

The advantage, if you're so inclined, to Cabela's Police is, because it's really a Navy, it will accept the Kirst conversion cylinder for 38 cartridge.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 07:35:29 AM »
If you can find a source other than Cabela's, I would suggest shelling out a few extra bucks for better quality.  I have been somewhat disappointed with the quality of the '58 Army replica I got from them.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 08:36:17 AM »
For the money Cabela's aint bad, but you have to be able to do a little smith work.

I've got the 62' police and it was a sweet shootin' and handling gun.  But before shooting I had to remove a bur in the hammer slot in the frame, new hand and spring and indexing/triger spring, and had to remove a little metal from the recoil shield to alow the capped cylinder to turn.  I'ts now been converted to 38 long colt with a Kirst and an extractor rod, and will soon get a loading gate cover.

So far this has been the worst on function I've gotten from cabela's, but they all have needed a little work.  The fit and finish has generaly been pretty good, especialy for the price. From now own I'm getting Ubertie's directly from the factory, the local gun shop is a Ubertia dealer, and there not that much more money wise.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Hancock

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 03:46:16 PM »
Thanks guys,what I was looking for when I came across this one ,was, any shorter barreled 36 cal to go along with the Pietta 51 Navy that I also got from Cabelas.I plan on switching over to Frontiersman class for Cowboy Action Shooting,(from Frontier cartridge). Going into this project,I knew that I wanted to shoot 36 cal, and the first gun was easy to figure out because I was used to a long barrel in cartridge,but the Frontier class must be shot duelist, so I wanted my 2nd gun to be a short barreled 51 to use in a crossdraw holster.The only 51 style that I could find with a shorter barrel, was the "Frontiersman" offered by Navy Arms .After calling Navy Arms, I found out that they don't sell to the public any more, and there was just to many hoops to jump thru to get one, so Cabelas got my money.They were more than happy to take my order.And if I do have trouble with it, I'm sure that they will make it right.And altho it isn't a perfect match to the 51, it sounds like it will be close enough.
Thanks again
Kip

Offline tomjw3

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 04:57:05 PM »
Hi all; :D
 I purchased the 62 police from cabalas. Went through three of the things before I gave up. Pietta was not boring the nipple chambers deep enough so that when you put a cap on the nipple it would bind against the recoil shield. Took me 6 months to figure out what exactly was wrong and ended up getting a .36 Cal 58 remington. Real happy with that pistol.
Tom

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 04:55:58 AM »
The main problem with mine was the the cut out in the frame for the hammer looked like they forgot to mill an eigth inch off the left inside corner all the way and the hammer wouldn't fall far enough to bust the caps.  The ring around the ratchet/index on the frame was just a little too wide to let the capped cylinder turn(rubed the sides of the caps), a little work with a dremal and both problems were fixed.

Agrivating, but a very sweet shooting gun once all problems were addressed.  Hope yours turns out to be a good one.

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 05:45:34 PM »
Yes, for the money, Cabela's is decent.  However since I don't like having to do 'smith work on a new gun, I would rather save up a few more months and buy better next time.  Mine has several problems, most related to visible defects in the milling.  It tends to bind up a lot between shots, unless every moving part is LATHERED in crisco/grease.  Kinda makes it less fun to shoot.
   If that's all the money you have, they are functional and mine is fairly accurate as long as I use Buffalo Bullets and not balls.  Better some gun than none!  :wink: