Author Topic: How Do You Pick Your H+R/NEF Rifles?  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
How Do You Pick Your H+R/NEF Rifles?
« on: June 22, 2004, 03:29:26 PM »
With so many rifle calibers to choose from, how did you pick the ones you have? I tried to run the range from the available calibers, the .223 for varmint(groundhog) hunting, the .243 for longer distance varmint up to deer size game, the 7mm-08 for longer distance deer, the 45/70 for closer range deer on up big game. I'd love to have one of each caliber, but reality keeps getting in the way!
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 03:35:53 PM »
Start with the one you'll use the mose in the short term and add barrels later for the other calibers.  If you need a combo consider the 243 or 25-06.  Both are proven varmint guns with a slight edge towards the 25-06, unless you factor in the Hornady Light Magnums in 243.  The 25 can push a slightly heavier deer bullet, but the 243 can use a smaller varmint bullet.  Both are probably all round effective with 80gr and up bullets.

Keep in mind that the shots have to be well placed with either on deer.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 03:36:22 PM »
buy one of each over a period of time, or buy one and then get extra barrels in other calibers !

i like my 30-06 (cast bullets), it's versatile, shoot 110 grains up to 220 grains lead or jacketed.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline DAD

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Why
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 03:53:24 PM »
I wanted a centerfire to shoot cheaply. I bought a 223 bull in the nef. I was and still impressed with that. That rifle will shoot 1/2 groups with 45jhp if I do my part. I don't like a lot of recoil and I needed a 2nd dear rifle. I sent the rifle back for a 7mm-08 barrel. Why that caliber? That one has not much more recoil than the30-30 but I could do more with the extra energy. You might want to consider the 308. When you compare the 150 gr and the 270 in 150gr there is very little difference out to 250yards. Now the 308 has less recoil 15ft vs 17ft of recoil. Most experts and regular Joes agree anything over 15ft of recoil causes flinching and other shooting problems Hope this helps.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 04:29:17 PM »
If I were to start over, I'd get these:

1. A .280 is probably the most capable long range Handi available. You can shoot an antelope at 500 yards if need be.
You can load it with 100gr hollow points if you want to explode a woodchuck, and there are plenty of big game hunting bullets from 120gr to 175gr. Not ideal for Moose or Griz, but anything else in the USA is within its capability. .270 is pretty much the same cartridge, but in a Handi the barrel is 4" shorter than the .280.

2. A .22 hornet barrel would be nice for the times you don't need the .280, and you can get 600-700 shots from a pound of powder.

3. 45-70 will put a big hole in a Moose or Grizzly, and with black powder, it's just plain fun.

If I didn't reload, I'd probably get a 223 Ultra and add a 30-06 barrel to it.

Offline JPH45

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 04:52:22 PM »
Years back, I bought an H&R 158 30-30 for my wife. Turned out she didn't like it, and I played with it for a while then traded it off.  December of '02 I was in a local gun shop and they had both a 44 and a 357 on the rack. These are Limited Editions with straight wristed camo laminated stocks. I liked the feel and they seemed just right for something to plink with. The 357 Mag morphed into a Max, and I have done lots of plinking and deer getting with them both, but I was left unsatisfied with the accuracy I was getting from cast bullets at full velocity, so I traded with a friend for a 45-70 Handi, figuring that if I couldn't get high velocity, I could throw a heavy bullet. I also traded for a 30-30 Handi. My thinking has been that my hunting is woods oriented, so I don't need a long range rifle. I feel at this point that I have the bases covered for my hunting and plinking needs, but I'm still thinking on a 38-55 barrel............seems that it fits right in with my other choices and using 375 Win brass,  I should be able to get modern performance from it safely too.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline NMUltra

• Trade Count: (1)
My Plan
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 05:45:24 PM »
I started with an Ultra Varmint in .223, since I mostly shoot small rodents at long ranges.  I planned to add a 25-06 barrel to this gun, once I get the
second rifle (.17 HMR) dialed in. This gives me one toy on hand while the other is back at the factory.

I may change my mind to the .280 or the 7mm-08, as I may have the opportunity for an elk this fall.

If I ever get off the wish list, I'm getting a .22-250 in stainless, which will go back for the .243 barrel in time.  

Too many choices can make this tough!
Always dally thumb up

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 06:33:01 PM »
thats a easy one    when i got my 357 pistol i got a 357max h&r rifle        when i got 44 got 445 super mag in h&r   got 32 long pistol made a 32 mag in h&r  my latest is 762  25 pistol yep got a 762 25 h&r

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 01:38:50 PM »
I started with a 20 ga-3030 H R combo for $40.at a bargan table at a gun show I got a 22hornet barrel for another $40. just by luck it locked up purfectly.Later I found a handy in 243 for $150.This started the colection.I later added a 410, 12, and 28 guage guns.I also found a promotional case that had a pocket for a recever and 4 barrels. most of these were lost in a garage fire. but Im back up to 6 with the case still in my safe.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 03:39:27 PM »
My introduction to H+R/NEF came courtesy of Marlin Talk. They had a forum on their site for H+R/NEF, and after reading a few posts, it peaked my interest in the BC. I already had a 30/30, .44 mag, and 45/70 Marlins, but I followed a lead to H+R/NEF Talk, and by reading posts there, I got interested in and bought the Ultra Varmint .223. I bought a limited edition laminated .243, by chance when I saw it at a local gun shop, and when I ordered the BC, I noticed an uncheckered laminated 7mm-08. I went back and visited that 7mm-08, several times before taking it home.  I always liked to tinker or modify rifles, and these rifles fall right into that. Trigger jobs, camo for the Ultra, shortening the BC barrel, and refinishing the stocks with an oil finish. I'm having a ball!  Right now, I'm considering adding a .308, or 30/06, I'm leaning towards the .308 Survivor heavy barrel. I'm not crazy about the Survivor stock, but it's the only heavy barrel .308. I'd like to keep the foregrip from the Survivor, but replace the stock with a monte carlo synthetic. Another reason to lean towards the .308 is because I already have loaded ammo, loading dies and brass for that caliber. Lastly, at some point I would like a .17 mag. rimfire. Many of my rifle choices are based on comments and reports from those here, so keep 'em comin'!
Don

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 06:32:48 PM »
Big Blue:

I know what you mean about that Survivor stock...that's why I restocked mine to look like this.....

I like it much better this way :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 02:48:56 PM »
Mac,
  Is the Survivor's heavy barrel worth getting, performance wise? I did price the .308 Ultra Hunter-$234, and the .308 Handi Rifle-$195, both prices from a local dealer. I imagine the Survivor would be somewhere in the middle of those two. I believe the Ultra gives an extra 2" of barrel, but I'm wondering if it would make all that much difference.
Don

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 03:06:59 PM »
Mac,
  Thanks for sharing your experience. There's nothing like asking someone that owns one. I sold a great .308 a few years back, and it's one of the few regrets I have in selling guns. It was a Remington Police Sniper, special ordered with heavy barrel, and oil finished stock. I was able to keep groups inside of a quarter, at 200 yards. I've been wanting another .308 shooter, and yours sounds like it would fill that bill.
Thanks,
Don