Author Topic: rifle scope conundrum  (Read 565 times)

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
rifle scope conundrum
« on: June 24, 2004, 04:35:04 PM »
OK, here is the deal-I have an old k-7 series scope I sent to weaver, who is now simmons. Simmons states that my weaver is not "fixable" and are offering me 1/2 off suggested retail on a list of scopes. The two scopes that interest me most of what is offered are:

1. Classic V series 2-7X32 to put on either a Ruger #3 in .223 or a Ruger #1 in .243 for out of pocket cost of $95

or

2. Grand Slam 3-10X40 to sit on a sporterized springfield A303 in 30 06 out of pocket cost of $165

If i go with choice #1 then I'll probably get the a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 for the springfield, or maybe a Burris Fullfield 3-9X40, or maybe even a Leupold Vari-II.

If i go with the Grand Slam then I'll probably get a 2-7x32 bushnell 3200 for one of the rugers.

Now, problem is I have NO reference point for ANY of the Weaver scopes I am being offered, but I do know Burris and Bushnell, so I am not sure which would be best for my purposes?? Now, if weaver scope are not that great I have a list of weaver optics to choose from including tactical scopes, bino's, and spotting scopes.

My first thought is to go with the choice #2, the 3-9X40 and save the $50 that it would cost for either the Bushnell or the Burris, but I am unsure of the quality of Weaver vs Bushnell/Burris. BUT, if Weaver stinks, then maybe I'll get go with the 2-7X40 or bino's/spotting scope???

So, what would YOU do? and how do these scopes compare with on and other???

Thank you

Dave

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
rifle scope conundrum
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 04:59:39 PM »
I've seen a lot of recommendations for the GS at RFC, everyone that has one has much praise for it....I checked prices, the best buy is $250 so you're gettin' a heck of a good deal.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline akpls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
rifle scope conundrum
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 05:04:29 AM »
IMO the Grand Slam is one of the best buys out there.  I've had a 1.5-5 on a Marlin 1895M for awhile now and it's taken a beating without a problem.  Optically, it is as good as any of the Leupold, Nikon or Burris scopes I have.

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
rifle scope conundrum
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 10:55:40 AM »
I'd jump on the GS for that price!  :eek:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
rifle scope conundrum
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 04:22:34 AM »
Another option if you like the old scope and the problem was not  lens or major parts busted is
Mike Sexton
3324 South 76 west ave.
Tulsa, O.K. 74107  
Phone : 918-445-2286
  to have your Weaver repaired.
I had reticles replaced, the scopes cleaned and resealed in a Weaver and a Redfield for about $60 each, he does a nice job. The GS would be a better scope, but I have to have a blue steel scope on a classic  rifle.
NRA Lifer