Author Topic: Backup Gun?  (Read 710 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Backup Gun?
« on: June 25, 2004, 05:03:16 PM »
After reading truckie's post, I got to thinking about backup guns. Seeing how we hunt with single shot rifles, I was wondering if you guys carry a backup gun. Here in my area of Pennsylvania, we have some pretty big black bears. The local game warden told me about a 500 pounder he has been dealing with right in my township. While they are no match for a grizzly, black bears account for the majority of bear attacks. I always carry a .45 Colt with 300 gr. Cor-Bons as a backup. It won't take the place of a well placed rifle shot, but can be used quickly in a close up situation. It wood be nice to think your prepared for this situation, but if your in the woods hunting squirrel, odds are the same rifle won't fit the bill for a bear. Unless of course, you subscribe to Mortie's idea of a 30/06 for squirrel.
Don

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Backup Gun?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 05:41:38 PM »
Don,

If you hadn't sawed the barrel off of that BC, you could at least keep that bear 3' away! :roll:

Offline Deadeye47

Backup Gun?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 07:01:17 PM »
Quote from: Paul5388
Don,

If you hadn't sawed the barrel off of that BC, you could at least keep that bear 3' away! :roll:
:mrgreen:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
Backup Gun?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 11:16:41 PM »
I dont carry a back-up gun.....we do have some black bears here in va. but sightings are rare.
however last fall while tracking a bow shot deer the coyote were howling all around us.....it was a deafing roar.....I dont think they were a real threat but sure will make you nerves.

TCB

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Backup Gun?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 06:51:53 AM »
Quote from: Big Blue
After reading truckie's post, I got to thinking about backup guns. Seeing how we hunt with single shot rifles, I was wondering if you guys carry a backup gun. Here in my area of Pennsylvania, we have some pretty big black bears. The local game warden told me about a 500 pounder he has been dealing with right in my township. While they are no match for a grizzly, black bears account for the majority of bear attacks. I always carry a .45 Colt with 300 gr. Cor-Bons as a backup. It won't take the place of a well placed rifle shot, but can be used quickly in a close up situation. It wood be nice to think your prepared for this situation, but if your in the woods hunting squirrel, odds are the same rifle won't fit the bill for a bear. Unless of course, you subscribe to Mortie's idea of a 30/06 for squirrel.
Don

I have TWO Backup guns.

First:

In the Pacific Nothwest there are lots of bears (which I respect but don't fear); and really a lot of cougars (which I respect and do fear).   Many times you aren't aware of a cougar until it's only a leap away.  Because of this I ALWAYS carry a handgun when in the woods. What WORKS FOR ME (not neccessisarily others); is a 2¼" barrel Taurus® Mdl 617; 357 Mag, full of Federal Premium 180gr CastCore® Bullets. Later this year I plan getting a Taurus® Mdl 415, 2½"barrel, 41 Rem Mag for this role.

Second:

I deer hunt with a 30/30 & elk hunt with a 444. Each serves as a backup (actually as a sprare) should I have a weapon malfunction or breakage of some sort.

Others; in different areas of the country, will have different needs & experiences. Regards.............  

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
Backup Gun?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 07:44:01 AM »
We have cougar in many parts of AZ and black bear up North, and while they don't get as big as their Eastern cousins, they're still big enough to ruin your day. I carry either a .45 ACP with 230gr CorBons or a S&W 686 .357 with 158 JSP for backup if I think I'll need it. One of the guys I usually hunt with carries bear spray when he knows I have a sidearm; it's the real potent stuff, but I don't know how well it'd work on a black bear.

One Canadian Web site did a study on the effectiveness of bear spray, mostly for the BC area over several years of encounters, and said it's more effective with grizzly than handguns. But they acknowledged it may have more to do with the fact that grizzlies often charge to "test" a threatening animal, and using spray or a pistol forces you to hold your ground for a moment. People often miss when they're panicking over a charging bear, so a poorly-placed pistol bullet will anger a bear that's bluffing, whereas the spray has a suffocating effect and confuses them. A black bear charging you, on the other hand, is rarely bluffing.

As I think about it, if you're in REAL DANGEROUS bear country, take two friends, and make sure you can outrun at least one of them. Have one carry bear spray, one with a 45-70 levergun or a 10-guage, and keep a .44 mag on your hip.  :shock:
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Backup Gun?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 11:55:08 AM »
Quote from: Paul5388
Don,

Paul,
  That might work with those hogs that are rootin' up your yard, but bears have a longer reach. I keep that 5" piece of barrel I cut off in my pocket. At least I can knock myself out if they get me. :)
Don