Author Topic: Winchester 180gr Ballistic Silvertips  (Read 492 times)

Offline Spess

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester 180gr Ballistic Silvertips
« on: June 26, 2004, 01:37:45 PM »
What are your opinions for deer. normally I would use 150- 165 but this year I will be hunting black bear at the same time as deer, and wouldn't have enough time to switch bullets on sighting a bear. I want to make a clean kill and wouldn't want anything less just in case I didn't hit him just right and had to follow him into the bush. How Does this bullet perform on deer, and does it waste alot of meat?
Always know what's behind your target, it could save a life!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 04:24:24 PM »
I have had excellent results, in the past,  using the Silvertips (in 165) out of my 30-06.  I do not know what caliber you will be using or what velocity you are talking about.  I have no doubt that this bullet, especially in the 180. will kill a black bear (if this is what you are hunting).  As far as expansion/fragmentation goes  I have taken a couple of medium sized bucks thru the shoulder and have not experienced alot of fragmentation.  However, as you know the bear is of tougher bone structure.  I would look strongly at a Partition or one of the bonded bullets for this type of hunt . . . if it were me.

LW
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 10:49:57 AM »
Spess,

Forget Ballistic Tips of any type or weight.  Go with Nosler Partitions, 165 or 180 gr.,  or Barnes TSX bullets.  You don't want to fool around with cheap bullets when Black Bears are in the mix.  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 12:10:33 PM »
Spess,
If you are set on shooting plastic tipped bullets I'd try one of the ones that is bonded (like Hornady's SST interlock).  They don't expand as violently and they will prenetrate much better than the BT.  If your not set on the plastic tip there are several bullets that would be much better for bear and still work great on deer.  (nosler partition, barnes, trophy bonded bear claw, core-lokt, core-loke ultra, etc.) A good quality controlled expansion soft point would be a great choice for bear and deer.