Author Topic: Westinghouse M3 1943 6x30 binocular value?  (Read 3462 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Westinghouse M3 1943 6x30 binocular value?
« on: January 13, 2003, 06:40:04 AM »
I don't have a value for you but do have some history of them.

Back in the mid 60s I reworked binoculars for the US Army at Anniston Army Depot for a couple of years. Binoculars both the 6x30s and the 7x50s came in black from the manufacturers. All we reworked were painted OD green. So if yours are still black there is a fair possibility they are still factory original but if OD Green they have been rebuild.

Now it is possible that prior to the time I was doing this work some were rebuild and not painted so just because they are black if they are doesn't mean they are still original just enhances that possibility. If rebuild then chances are slim any of the original componets went back into them. The way we did it was we totally disassmbled them and sent the bodies to be painted in one operation and the end caps and rings and such in another. Generally the glass was pulled and refinished in the glass shop there. So if ever reworked at the depot few if any original parts got put back together.

Now I'm not sure what happened to all of those old binoculars when the government stopped the rebuilding and went to buying new ones only. They may still be in a warehouse somewhere. They may have been sold at auction from the DPDO. Unless they were in fact sold at auction none of them really should have legally gotten out to the public.

I know many did get out but not always legally. Some soldiers kept theirs when returning home from war. Not legal but not uncommon either. Some we salvaged if the hinge on them was too loose to be repaired or if the case was cracked. Few other reasons but that was the most common. Those went to the DPDO for sale. BUT the fellow who was our supervisor in those days had some kinda contacts over at the DPDO and he always ended up buying those junk bodies. He then brought them back into the shop and swapped them out for good bodies and assigned one of us to rebuild them to new specs for him. He then sold them at a profit to himself. OH YEAH very illegal but he did it nonetheless and is now long gone so he can't be prosecuted. This process was repeated over and over each time a new SN was salvaged and sent to DPDO and when he brought it back the SN place on end of hinge was swapped out.

So you may have a pair that was purloined by a soldier returning from duty or a pair that was illegally rebuild and sold or you may have a pair that actually was legally sold thru the DPDO after the Army stopped using them.

Value? I don't have a clue. Back in those days of the mid 60s they sold for about $50-$75 usually. When rebuild to new specs they would be as good as the $500-600 binoculars today are. So base your value on that. Most I've seen at gunshows since then are in pretty sad shape optically and I've seen them listed for anywhere from $50-200.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ba_50

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Westinghouse binoculars
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 12:45:59 AM »
Bill,

Thank you for the interesting information on the 6x30's. I got these at an auction out in the country. The owner may have passed away, can't remember for sure. The screw heads don't look like they have ever been tampered with.

There is one German outfit that has a pair for sale at around $200-250. They are apparently hard to find. Maybe because of what you said about possibly not being released to the public.

It won't cost me anything to let them sit on the shelf. Thanks again. RA

Offline taxmiser

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 10:09:39 AM »
I wouldn't let them "sit on the shelf".  I have a similar pair, which is one of about 25 pairs of binoculars that I currently own.  All my glasses are high-end optics and if there is a sharper imaged pair it is undectable.  The newer pairs have improved coatings which allow more usable light to reach the eye but again not by a great margin.  They are about as durable a binocular as has been manufactured by anyone.  They are users imho.

God Bless and good shooting!   :D

Offline ba_50

• Avid Poster
Westinghouse M3's
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 01:49:18 PM »
Taxmiser,

Maybe mine need some work done on them because they aren't all that sharp and fog up.  Leupold Wind Rivers are a lot better.

Any suggestions on a good binocular repair station? I also have a pair of WW 2 Japanese navy's that need major work. Thanks. RA

Offline taxmiser

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 02:23:30 PM »
I have had Brian Osterberg, 2425 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92106 (619-222-8096) rebuild many pairs of binouclars.  Unless they are in need of parts the cost has been running around $50.00 plus postage.
They are sure worth the expense in rebuilding them.

Dale

Offline ba_50

• Avid Poster
Binocualr repair
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 01:48:44 AM »
Dale,

The price sounds reasonable.

There was a positive response from Chris at Riflescopes.com on Herb Koehler and a very negative one from a customer.  (shooters.com)

Thanks.

Offline taxmiser

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 09:47:40 AM »
This vintage of binocular were sealed with a wax type material that if mistreated can and will allow moisture into the interior.  Chat with Brian and let us know what develops.  I have complete faith in his abilities and integrity.  Keep us posted to developments.............

I could spend the rest of my days very comfortably with my US Military 1940's 6X30 and nothing else.  "cept that I have this nasty and expensive disease called binocularitis.  Not fatal though!

Offline ba_50

• Avid Poster
Westinghouse
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2003, 01:01:26 AM »
Taxmiser,

I talked with Brian and he said about $65.00. Haven't done anything yet.

Offline taxmiser

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2003, 11:39:11 AM »
It's about time Brian raised his pricing schedule, I've been paying around that $50.00 figure for years.  German optics always ran about 50% higher.  If you decide to have them refurbed you will have some good binoculars however.

There have been improvements in coating but not anything noticable in clarity.

God Bless and good shooting!