Author Topic: New barrel fitting charge?  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
New barrel fitting charge?
« on: June 28, 2004, 03:55:28 PM »
I just looked at the barrel accessory program and saw where they are charging $15.00 to fit barrels.  That seems a little odd, since they won't let you fit your own barrel.  In fact, they won't even sell you a barrel they don't fit!  It's beginning to look like the masked man wasn't Clayton Moore, but NEF.   :roll:

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 04:12:11 PM »
Maybe the charge is to fit a barrel they didn't sell you.  Buy one off a forum member and it doesn't fit.  $15 is a small fee for that.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Wlscott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 04:32:56 PM »
I just bought a 45-70 barrel from them about a month ago.  At that time they were charging a $10.00 "handling fee".  

I figure that the price of the barrel was $82.00, and with the ten bucks it was still only $92.00 for a barrel to be fitted.  

Of course, if they keep going up,  it's gonna get kind of expensive to have a barrel fitted.  I wonder if maybe they're trying to phase out the barrel accessory program :(
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 05:12:19 PM »
I got a .357 barrel a couple of months ago and the total bill was $92.  It looks like there is an additional $15 added to the charge now that makes the total $107.

Maybe the only thing worthwhile now is the barrels you don't find on many store shelves, like the .410/45 barrel.

Offline Thunder38849

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 06:41:16 PM »
I just looked at an order form on the NEF website.   They charge 10.00 for handling, 15.00 for barrel fitting, and of course, the cost of the barrel.

Add a few with all that and just buy the gun.   Would be about as cheap.
Livin' Life, 3000 fps at a time.

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 07:28:25 PM »
Thunder,

I can get a new gun with all the pieces at Wallie World for about $187 plus tax, so the receiver and stock is only worth $80?  Maybe they're just trying to sell more guns and cut back on the amount of labor they are paying for fitting barrels.  Or, maybe they are trying to cut out the accessory barrel program by making it too expensive to add barrels.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 11:20:28 PM »
I just looked at the barrel accessory program and saw where they are charging $15.00 to fit barrels.

Add $7-$15 more to ship your receiver and foreend and that is just too bad. :cry:  These guns are designed for working class middle income folks like myself who can't afford a Browning or Winchester. The barrel accessory program just sweetened the deal and made them even more attractive. Looks like barrel addition costs for H&R/NEF have gone the same path as steel prices and gas prices.
                                                           ^
                                                           ^
                                                           ^

It's like Busta'yote says..."corporate greed is ruining America"
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 11:44:06 PM »
Alright --- This just TICKS ME OFF!!!! :evil:  The more I think about it the more it TICKS ME OFF!!! :evil:  :evil:  I was thinking about adding a 280  barrel to my Ultra down the line sometime so here's the deal. They went up on all the prices at the first of the year, ya'll remember that? Now they want to add a $15 charge to fit the barrel!?!? What's the $10 charge for?!?!? I asked recently and was told that it was for smith and fitting and returning the gun. :?  So if I add the .280 its.......
$100 barrel
$10 ship and handle
$15 barrel fitting charge
$13 to send my receiver (roughly)
$148 Total
Heck I could save another couple weeks and just get a Brand New Synthetic Handi at Wally World for $195 plus tax. Maybe that is the point huh? :evil:
Maybe Busta should change his quote to read "corporate greed is ruining Americans"
I'm HOT......Can't go to the woods as much anymore because of gas prices.....in danger of losing accounts at work because of ridiculous steel prices.....and now an extra $15 for a new barrel for my gun....Maybe I oughta just go back to fishin'.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 01:49:26 AM »
It used to be $10 a barrel for shipping/handling. Now it's $10 a gun, plus $15 a barrel for labor. Looks like the actual price increase is $10 a frame plus $5 a barrel. Percentagewise, it can be really painful if you were going to order a single shotgun barrel, but it isn't too bad if you order 5 rifle barrels.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 03:09:46 AM »
Good point Mitch, Lets not get carried away here until we have some hard facts. I just looked at the barrel accessory program section of the NEF website and saw none of this. I had a .357 barrel fitted a couple of months ago also and was not charged anything extra (in addittion to the barrel and extra Ultra scope rail) except shipping and tax. I had a trigger job done also and it was free as usual. I see no facts here, lets reserve judgement until we get to the bottom of this. If there is just a $5.00 per order increase increase thats reasonable and understandable in these times of rising prices....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Thunder38849

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 03:54:49 AM »
Look at the barrel accessory program, then click the link to bring up and order form, you'll see it plain as day there.

Offline Thunder38849

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 04:04:27 AM »
Better yet... I'll post it here....

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 06:33:33 AM »
So there ya go.....What if I wanted a Tracker 2 barrel.....$25 is almost half the cost of the barrel ain't it......What if I just wanted a .410 barrel or any other single shotgun barrel.....$25 is 2/3 the cost of the barrel......or even an Ultra Slug barrel....$25 is almost a fourth the cost of that barrel or a muzzy barrel.......I could go on and on. Sorry Mitch but not all of us are rifle exclusive shooters nor do all of us have the $$$ to order five barrels at a time. Oh yea, I could tell ya a horror story about that so-called "barrel fitting" but I'll save that for a later post.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 06:35:41 AM »
So that would be a $15 increase on the first barrel and $5 increase for each additional barrel, not to mention they keep raising barrel prices.  I can see them passing on increased expenses but this seems like a strange way to do it.  Maybe people were complaining about the $10 per barrel shipping charge.  I got 4 barrels the last time my action was at H&R the shipping should have cost H&R about $15-16 and I paid $40.  If people were complaining they may have decided to restructure their fees to reflect labor instead of shipping and at the same time increase the price a few $$.  Pretty soon they will be darn close to T/C prices especially when you factor in the value of down time while H&R has your action.

Offline Thunder38849

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 07:49:11 AM »
That's about the size of it.   I was getting ready to order a .280 barrel and when I was printing the order form saw that 15.00 issue.   I have decided to just buy the complete rifle if I can find one.

If I can't find a .280, I guess I'll look for a .308.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 07:55:03 AM »
Here's something to think about.......if they wind up either pricing us out of having differnt barrels put on...or as I suspect  entirely drop the barrel  program...would you still consider these rifles"good buys" and end up buying one...or as what has been said...move on to a Encore???

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Mitch in MI

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 08:05:51 AM »
I'd still rather have a whole Handi than a T/C barrel. Especially since the chambering/throating problems on T/C barrels seem worse than on NEF barrels.

Thunder:
You can probably get a 280 w/wood stock from your local wallymart for less than $200. Seems like a good deal compared to $125 plus shipping your gun to NEF for the barrel.

Offline Thunder38849

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 08:42:39 AM »
Thanks for the info.   I had it in my mind that the .280 was a limited edition.  Dunno where I thought that up from, guess I have too many guns on my mind...LOL

I would like to have the .280 in synthetic.   I hate those dang synthetic stocks, but I plan on making the .280 a "keep in the truck" gun.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 10:08:46 AM »
Whoa!!! I stand corrected, it is there on the order form, (I did not look that far). I must have been lucky and got my .357 barrel Pre-increase. I wonder when it was added? If they charge to "fit" the barrels I wonder if they will sell them for the "barrel" price alone without fitting? I think not, but that means each barrel is now more in cost than the barrel price, they could have/should have just increased the barrel price!!! Is there any documentation regarding the reported change of charging for trigger adjustments? I agree that a whole new gun sounds better than adding a barrel with the added costs involved.....<><.... :roll:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Thunder38849

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 10:35:53 AM »
After thinking about it, that could have been their intention.  To make it to where a person would buy another gun instead of a barrel. Ya never know how those marketers are thinking.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 10:44:23 AM »
They're supposed to ship my .243 and .25-06 barrels this week, I suppose they'll add the $15 charge to my order even though it wasn't on my order form when I sent it in. Even with minor price increases and the $15 "fitting" charge, it's still less than buying another complete rifle.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 10:45:59 AM »
Whay they need to be careful of is to not price themselves out of business.  When these guns start aproaching bolt gun prices, I'm done.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Thunder38849

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 11:06:55 AM »
quickdtoo,
  It would still be less, but ya have to think in terms of economics.

$100 barrel
$10 ship and handle
$148 Total
Heck I could save another couple weeks and just get a Brand New Synthetic Handi at Wally World for $195 plus tax. Maybe that is the point huh?

At the price for the barrel and everything associated with it, you could get the stock, forearm, receiver, scope rail and hammer spur for a mere $47.00 if you bought the rifle instead of an extra barrel.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 12:39:44 PM »
Quote from: Thunder38849

$100 barrel
$10 ship and handle
$148 Total
Heck I could save another couple weeks and just get a Brand New Synthetic Handi at Wally World for $195 plus tax. Maybe that is the point huh?

At the price for the barrel and everything associated with it, you could get the stock, forearm, receiver, scope rail and hammer spur for a mere $47.00 if you bought the rifle instead of an extra barrel.

Yes, a handi, but I like the Ultra Varmint laminated stock which sells for ~$240 so there's ~$100 difference, almost another barrel.... :grin:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline VarmintController

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 12:54:02 PM »
What a SAD day this is, just when i thought this company could not get much worse, here is another kick in the BUTT!!!!!!!!!!! they BETTER be ready to sell me unfit barrels now, or not charge me to fit them. because this is REALLY starting to sound like a way to HIDE a price increase to me. sorry, but i am really starting to think TC. alot more money, but no BS, and just great single shot guns. yep it sounds better everytime they do something like this. sorry i got carried away, but this is just not nice at all. think about it, all the new barrels are do out later this year, and low and behold, and big raise in cost. HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2004, 01:12:28 PM »
this is definitely getting out of hand !

i have bought at least 10 barrels through the barrel accessory program, three since february 2004. they have NEVER charged me $15 above the cost of the barrel to fit it.

if you buy a barrel from your buddy and send it to NEF to fit it to your receiver they will charge $15.00, i've done that, you can't blame them for charging you for that.

shipping is a different story, a necessary evil, but i don't recall any other gun manufacturers doing what NEF/H&R does, that is, supply good quality low cost fun firearms with extra barrels if you want them. i don't think browning would give me a shiny new barrel for under a $100 !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline VarmintController

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2004, 01:36:45 PM »
SG<----------- it says right here, yes its from the H&R page. DO NOT SEND YOUR BARREL!!!!!!!!!! this is some way to make us pay more i will bet, and just before all the new calibers come out, HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Open the firearm by pressing the release lever, and be sure the chamber is empty.
Remove the forend screw and forend.
With firearm fully open, lift the barrel off the hinge.
Carefully package the stock, forend and frame (receiver) for shipping. (DO NOT SHIP YOUR EXISTING BARREL.) Send by U.S. Mail or U.P.S. insured to the following address (DO NOT MARK CONTENTS ON THE OUTSIDE OF SHIPPING CARTON):

H&R 1871, LLC
ATTN: Barrel Accessory Offer
60 Industrial Rowe
Gardner, MA 01440

Enclose with your parts, a check, money order or credit card information payable to H&R 1871, LLC (no cash accepted) in the amount indicated for the barrel(s) requested, along with the completed order form. Please include the serial number of your firearm, your name, mailing address (no P.O. Boxes accepted) and your daytime telephone number.
Keep a record of the serial number of the returned firearm.
All prices are in U.S. funds and are subject to change without notice.
Due to licensing requirements, this offer is only available to U.S. residents.
During periods of high demand, please allow six to eight weeks for delivery of your additional barrels or accessories.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline JBKERNS

Do they still throw in the trigger job?
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2004, 01:45:20 PM »
Do they still throw in the trigger job?

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2004, 01:46:42 PM »
hi vc - i've seen that on the form but have never paid it.

my last barrel through the accessory program was in late march a new 410 barrel, the part number was 041. i sent a check for $49.00 along with the receiver, and in a few weeks i was blasten quail with it.

maybe it is a brand new charge ?, i'll test it out in a few weeks, i'll be sending in a receiver to be fitted to a 28 gauge barrel. let's see what happens.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Mitch in MI

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2004, 01:56:23 PM »
Quote from: Thunder38849

To be fair, you also get the scope rail and hammer spur if you buy a sightless barrel like the 280, so the extras are a receiver, stocks, gun lock, swivels, and a $2 sling.
If you buy a 30-30 barrel, you get $40 worth of sights. (I believe H&R charges $40 for the sights alone)