Author Topic: Best Red Dot under $100?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Best Red Dot under $100?
« on: June 28, 2004, 06:35:35 PM »
I know that this was kinda of covered when handirifle asked about the Bushnell ones, but here goes.  I just bought a Magnum Research Lone Eagle 44 mag. handgun.  I also realize that this has nothing to do with NEF rifles, but I figured that what better place to ask then here, and with all the knowledge and experience I have learned on here for the last 2 years or so might help me out on this one too.  Anyways, this is the first big bore handgun I've used besides my dad's smith 66 357, and I am looking for the best reddot sight on the market for under 100 bucks.  I'm looking for the best in durability, consistancy, 5-6moa dot or smaller, and preferably with a sunshade to cut down the glare on bright days.  It has to be able to withstand the recoil from a 44mag(I don't really know how hot the loads will be, but it will most likely be factory rounds, and some cast bullet reloads that my uncle can hook me up with).  From what I've seen, Millett, Tasco, and Bushnell all fit the criteria I'm looking for.  Help me out on what has worked for you on 44mag, 45/70, etc... rifles, or pistols that you have.  I forgot to add that out of all the deer I have harvested, only one has been around 100yds, so I guess that 100yds. is the upper limit on what I would expect to use it...most shots are <50yds.  Thanks in advance.

~~~Cattleskinner
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Best Red Dot under $100?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 02:56:14 AM »
Simmons #80078 (?), 30mm red dot for $28.00 at Wholesale Hunter with a year great guarantee. Works for me. If somethings happens to it (it won't) they replace it for you. For the $100.00 figure you could buy almost 4 of them!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline marv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Red Dot
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 03:13:35 AM »
Hello MSP Ret
 Does  Wholesale Hunter have a web page or what is address,
 I am interested in a Red dot , at this price I am real interested.
 Thanks Marv.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Best Red Dot under $100?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 04:11:05 AM »
Marv,

Here is one of those red dots that MSP was talking about
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=20014643

~~~Cattleskinner
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Best Red Dot under $100?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 07:06:24 AM »
Marv they have the BSA red dots at  Wally World in Durant for $29. I've got one on my 45 70 ,and so far its holding together. Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Red Dot s
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 07:26:05 AM »
Thanks to all posters above, Digger I will Prob go to Durant in next few days see about it. Want it go on my 44 Mag ( I Think) If I don't back out
 Marv. PS Thanks again.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Best Red Dot under $100?
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 10:10:57 AM »
Marv, in case your still interested the website is www.wholesalehunter.com ....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Best Red Dot under $100?
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 10:11:33 AM »
I have a BSA red dot, it fogged up on me the first time I used it in bad weather. It's hardly worth it to me to pay $5-$8 to send it in for warranty when I only paid $30 for it to begin with. I'd spend a bit more for a more quality unit if I were doing it again.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Web Sight
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 11:35:22 AM »
MSP Ret
 Thanks a million for posting the web sight Marv.

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
Best Red Dot under $100?
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »
The only red dots I have a lot of experience with are Tasco's.  I have a pro point on a Ruger GP 357 mag which has held up very well (1000's of full power loads) I believe it has a 3moa dot.  I also have a tasco on a 45-70 handi barrel.  I think its a pro point 3 or a aim point I can't remember its been a while since I bought it.  It has a 4 or 5 moa dot and has held up to about 300 rounds so far.  They are nice but I'm always afraid the battery will die while I'm bringing the gun up on a buck of a lifetime.  I keep spare batteries with me but I still get concerned.  Other than the batteries (which are supposed to last like 80-100 hours) they are great, quick target aquisition, no concerns about eye relief, and with 11 brightness settings they work under just about any weather conditions.  I was concerned with how accurate I could shoot the 45-70 with that dot covering 4 or 5" at 100 yrds but I was able to shoot 1.5-2" groups with it.  Some of the newer red dots (Bushnells) have adjustable reticles which give you options for dot size and an option for a cross-hair type reticle.  I think they are around $100 maybe slightly higher.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Best Red Dot under $100?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 09:34:27 AM »
I use a Millet 30MM reddot on my SBH. It's worked great for 9 years and still going strong. I totaled a BSA with one box of hunting loads, and a Simmonds lasted less than a month on the same gun. Midsouth Shooters Supply has them for $72.00 for the 1 in. and $77.00 for the 30MM.
www.midsouthshooters.com
Dave375HH