Author Topic: much work involved in rechambering a .22 H to .221 fireball?  (Read 970 times)

Offline thelaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
i read in another post where it was possible. would the extractor/ejector have to be modified? what about rechambering to .222?

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
much work involved in rechambering a .22 H
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 04:41:53 AM »
If you want to rechamber to K-hornet, you can do that by hand with the proper reamer, just stop when the reamer touches the rim cut in the barrel.

Anything larger like 221 or 222 should be set up in a lathe, you will surely get an out of round or crooked chamber if you do it by hand. The hardest part is getting the bore (not the outside of the barrel) perfectly centered in the lathe. Then it's a matter of stopping when the headspace is correct (I believe there is a 0.004" difference between the go and no-go chamber headspace gages, so very soon after the go gage will fit, you will have gone too far and the no-go will drop in.
The only way I know of to salvage a no-go chamber is to rechamber to a longer cartridge like 223 or shim your reloading dies to make slightly longer cartridges to fit the nonstandard chamber.
The extractor is the easy part, just buy a 223 extractor from Brownell's. H&R might sell you the extractor also.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 05:20:39 AM »
you can get a new 223 extractor and then rechamber to 221 fireball.a smith should be the one to do this for you.this is a good rechamber,the hornet to 221 fireball.the 221 fireball reamer just cleans up the hornet chamber.i have seen my gun smith do the rechamber job on a couple bolt actions and on a friends Thompson Center TCR.the fireball is a great caliber

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Recambering
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 07:11:55 AM »
It should be just a hand job for the 221 fireball you would need to get a 223 extractor for it. If it was me I would go ahead and recamber to 222.
 I recambered 22H to a 219 Zipper, More work, It was a hand job. I did have to get a 30-30 extracter and widen the extracter grove in the end of barrel for the wider extracter.other wise It would be easier and cheaper to go to K= horrent. my 21/2 centavos. Marv.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 10:13:53 AM »
Everything I remember is that it is a LATHE job only. I wanted one if I could do it with a hand reamer, but was told it was lathe only.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!