Author Topic: .44 Mag barrel w/barrel band and ramrod/cleaning rod? What?  (Read 659 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
OK guys here is an oddity for you to figure out. There is a barrel for sale on E-bay (item #3686051025) that is supposed to be a NEF or H&R .44 Mag barrel. It looks to have a regular collapsible NEF ramrod beneath the barrel and the forearm is held on with a barrel band. It has a scope rail on it. The seller says he thinks it is a .44 Mag barrel and that it is definitely not a muzzleloading barrel. What it it???....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
.44 Mag barrel w/barrel band and ramrod/cle
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 02:47:21 PM »
Sounds like a Shikari. H&R made them like that in the '70s. Ones I have seen were .45-70. They may have made them in .44 Mag, but if the seller only "thinks" it is a .44, I'd wonder a bit.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 02:50:14 PM »
Before the old Harrington & Richardson went belly up, they marketed a Topper in 45-70 and 44 Mag with this curious barrel. They also were available as combos with 20 and 410 barrels. Why, who knows. They were built on the old cast frames, and I do not know if this barrel would ever fit the current frames.
Good shooting..mt
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I was stumped on it and thought it was a bit to much money ($95.00 plus shipping) but I really wanted to know what it was. I knew someone here would have that info. The membership/brotherhood here is a wealth of knowledge....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Thunder38849

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 06:08:36 PM »
MSP, I came across that barrel this morning while doing a search for barrels on Ebay.   I was stumped too.   Glad to have found your post here.
Livin' Life, 3000 fps at a time.