Poll

What caliber do you carry more?

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: July 03, 2004, 09:55:10 AM

Author Topic: What caliber do you carry more?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline strider72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« on: July 03, 2004, 09:55:10 AM »
Take a second and vote on this poll and let us know what caliber is carried more. I carry a .32 ACP more than my other calibers. Also, you don't have to post to vote, for those that did not know.

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 10:56:49 AM »
Of all the cal guns I have available to me for carry, mostly it's my Hungarian copy of the Walther PPK in .380 that is in my belt.  On days I'm going to a Cowboy shoot, I carry one of my Single Actions, either a .45lc or a .32H&R mag, and I never feel ill equipped with one of them, but that little .380 is my normal companion.

Greeenriver(It's about the only autoloader I've ever found that points well for me)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 02:25:32 PM »
Kel tec P-3AT 24/7. Usually as backup, but sometimes as the only weapon.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline patm41

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 02:33:24 PM »
Mine is not listed  9x18 Makarov !!!

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: What caliber do you carry more?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 03:52:09 PM »
S&W Mdl37 Airweight® 38 Special; backup when on duty, & off duty carry. Thus it's with me; 27/7, everyday & every way. Check your six..............

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 01:43:42 AM »
I can't vote on one as I carry a .380, 357sig, .38, and a .45 is generally in the truck.
I rotate the carry depending on a lot of situatuions--the 38 and 380 are rotated as a general rotation--the 357sig if I am traveling and the 45 just lives there.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 08:14:59 PM »
.40S&W in a Glock 22 or 27 the most.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 01:06:52 AM »
I alternate between two .357's and two .45's
Taurus Ti 357 and SP101, 3" or Kimber Ultra CDP II and Para P-12.
A little S&W 317, 12oz 8 shot .22 is usually close as a back up.
It's only primary when attire dictates.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 06:44:58 PM »
:cb2: The gun I carry on my person the most is a Glock 21, however, my backup is an excellent little East German Makarov in 9x18.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline mellow_1

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 08:03:39 PM »
I am Canadian and sadly I cannot carry legally :cry:  I think I would like a SA .357 blackhawk if I could though, I don't even think I would care too much about concealing it.
More than carrying for protection I wish we could hunt with handguns though.... Sometimes it sucks to be canadian.

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 09:49:07 AM »
I'm somewhat surprised, but not a lot. The .380 that so many people disregard as a defense weapon is running strongly in second place here.
I really figured the pole would be running stronger to the larger cal.'s.

I firmly believe that a large cal is better than a small cal, but a small cal that you can hit with beets the hell out of a large cal that you miss with.

It is gratifing to see that I'm not alone on using the .380 the most. I also like the 32H&R Mag if loaded right.

Greeenriver(I have been known to also carry a .45lc SAA. But I can hit with the first shot from it REAL good.)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 03:27:25 PM »
I picked up a couple of those Hungarian PA-63's in 9mm Makarov, one of them shoots my reloads and the Russian steel cased ammo without malfuctions, I even ran a couple boxes of .380's through it without problems. The other has issues using the Russian ammo, but fires my reloads reliably, I think the chamber might be slightly under sized. The pistol has a nice slim design that sits comfortably in my waist band ( don't care much for holsters ) That's what I carry all of the time.

Offline strider72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 04:18:13 AM »
I did think there would be more .32 ACP votes than there is with all the Kel-tec P32s, Beretta .32 Tomcats, NAA Guardians, and Seecamps that are out there now. I just don't see toting a 1911 around all day. Hell, my Glock 19 gets to be a drag to carry all day on occasion. But my P32 stays with me anytime short of sleepytime and I don't even know it's there. Backpocket carry of course.

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2004, 02:46:04 PM »
Packing the new S&W 325 45 acp or the old Kimber Pro CDP.

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Packin'
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 07:33:50 PM »
For CCW when I go where I'm licensed, I pack a Colt Combat Commander worked over by the Gunsite gunsmithy or a Glock 36 with night sights. Many times I'll just slip a S&W 642 into a pocket. :wink:
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline Totin'a10

A.C.T.-always carry two!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2004, 02:23:03 PM »
If I'm clothed I'm wearin' a .44 spl and a surefire flashlight minimum. 99% of the time I carry two guns. Either two .44 spls or a .44spl and a 10mm. I can't stress enough the importance of the surefire!!
What goes around comes around!!! 8)

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2004, 04:28:01 PM »
Like another post here stated, my Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP is my constant companion outside my home.  I have a CCW Permit and take full advantage of it.

There is no handgun as small in size (approx. 3"x5"x.76") and weight (approx. 10 oz fully loaded), as powerful (221 ft/lbs M.E. using +P loads) and with the capacity (6+1 rounds) of the Kel-Tec .380 semi-automatic pistol... and that's why it is the one I carry.

I have a dozen other handguns ranging from a couple of Colt 1911A1's in .45 ACP all the way down to a North American .22 rimfire "mini-revolver", but the Kel-Tec P3AT is the "best compromise" for CCW purposes.

As with any firearm used for self-defense, totally reliability is a "MUST"!!!  Always make sure you THOROUGHLY test your weapon of choice... your LIFE might very likely depend on it!!!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2004, 04:33:15 PM »
I pack a Colt Defender in 45ACP. I also have a NAA 22MAG tucked in the pocket 24/7.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline encoreshooter

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 12:50:44 AM »
Well, depending on what I'm wearing and what mood I'm in, it could be a Glock 19, 26, Ruger GP100, NAA Black Widow (.22 mag) or a Springer 1911A1.  Man, it's great to have choices!

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 03:04:06 AM »
Quote from: Ron T.
Like another post here stated, my Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP is my constant companion outside my home.  I have a CCW Permit and take full advantage of it.

There is no handgun as small in size (approx. 3"x5"x.76") and weight (approx. 10 oz fully loaded), as powerful (221 ft/lbs M.E. using +P loads) and with the capacity (6+1 rounds) of the Kel-Tec .380 semi-automatic pistol... and that's why it is the one I carry.

I have a dozen other handguns ranging from a couple of Colt 1911A1's in .45 ACP all the way down to a North American .22 rimfire "mini-revolver", but the Kel-Tec P3AT is the "best compromise" for CCW purposes.

As with any firearm used for self-defense, totally reliability is a "MUST"!!!  Always make sure you THOROUGHLY test your weapon of choice... your LIFE might very likely depend on it!!!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Ron: To the best of my knowledge SAAMI only recognizes three (3) +P cartridges:

257 Roberts, 38 Special, and 45ACP. ALL THE REST; ie: 380ACP, 40S&W, etc.......  are just marketing ploys of the individual manufacturer.

I'm not trying to flame you or throw you under the bus!!!    I did my research in several loading manuals, Sierra, Speer, & Nosler to name a few as well as "Cartridges of the World". If you know of other documented evidence to the contrary; please share. Regards to you & yours........

Offline Totin'a10

minimum of .44 spl
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 06:27:51 AM »
:wink: A second .44 spl or a 10mm 98% of the time! :-D
What goes around comes around!!! 8)

Offline S.S.

HEY MELLOW_1
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2004, 03:10:21 AM »
HEY MELLOW_1 ........ Migrate South !!!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jhm

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2004, 04:24:27 AM »
well a 9mm all the time.   I usually see several people on a daily basis and was surprised to see the 45 ACP leading in the poll as most of the people I know who do carry all the time usually carry a lighter caliber, I have and still carry a officers model 45, but as a rule its a 9mm for me. :D    JIM

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2004, 02:53:06 PM »
Either .38 special or .44 special snubs.  Both with Hornady JHP/XTP loads.

Offline jimmyp50

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2004, 03:06:46 PM »
I guess I just trust 5 shot S&W 38's to work all the time....
Jimmyp50Georgia

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2004, 05:42:00 AM »
Dawei & Cknight98...

I am not "flamed", but it seems odd that Kel-Tec was fooled as well that, as you say, there is no such thing as a "+P load" for the .380 ACP.  On page 3 of Kel-Tec's P-3AT's instruction manual, Kel-Tec has the following sentence after the word "AMMUNITION"... "The P-3AT will accept +P ammunition, however not with continuous use."

You'd think the manufacturer of a firearm would have researched the subject completely and would "know" what ammo is available for the firearm they manufacture, eh?

Thanx for the "heads-up".

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Doc RD

• Trade Count: (4)
Self-defense and CCW
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2004, 04:49:25 PM »
I carry a Kimber Ultra II in .45 ACP in town and in the bush a Taurus 5 shot snub nose wheel gun in .45lc with stout loads and hard cast FP 260 gr. pills.  Good bear medicine or other smaller vermin.  I have a CCW but here I DON'T NEED IT!!   :-D   AK and VT are places that you don't need one for your 2 Amendment Rights. :-D  :-D  :wink:

My wife carries a Colt Detective loaded with Win. .38 +P STX.  She has a Bersa in .380 but I trust the Colt more and she goes along with that.  

:D  Luego, Doc RD
Doc Red Dawg

Life NRA & NAHC;  SASS.

Offline Malamute

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 03:26:47 PM »
I didn't see the 45 Colt and 44 mag catagories? These are my first 2 choices. Why are folks having a trouble believing that carrying a 45 all day is difficult? A 7 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawks are heavy for all day, but a 4 5/8" 45 Blackhawk is pretty easy, as is a 4" Smith 29.

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2004, 03:52:05 PM »
1911's are unbeatable for close to one hundred years,John Browning hit it dead on with the Colt 1911.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline inluvwithsara

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
45, 44, and 38
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2004, 04:03:28 AM »
My main carry is my Glock 30...then in the woods and around the house, 44 SBH 4 5/8s...and for those, "I'm running to the store/taking the trash out, just a quick drop in the pocket is my 38spec  model 36...

My glock is the most practical for most city and suberb things...though someday I'll get me a double action 44mag or 45colt in a 4-5 inch barrel...then the glock would be a city only gun...maybe a (shame on me) smith mountain gun...but more likely a ruger redhawk...
I know that autos are faster in most hands...but...past 50 feet, I am so much better with a wheel gun...and I can shoot anying as fast from the leather then a single action...

MALAMUTE gets an AMEN!!!!

In a GOOD rig...a steel gun is not a problem...I often spend the day in the woods with a ruger super redhawk with a 7 inch barrel...barely notice the weight...I will never understand the ultra lights...a shot one of them 357 ultra lights...hurt alot worse then a heavy load in my ruger 44's
I'd rather carry a shooter then shoot a carrier...
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.