Author Topic: Concealed Carry Gun for the Missus  (Read 756 times)

Offline Stan_TheGunNut

• Trade Count: (0)
Concealed Carry Gun for the Missus
« on: July 04, 2004, 12:34:57 PM »
I've been thinking about what options my wife has for concealed carry and would like to hear others opinions.  I bought her a little Beretta 22 cal pistol to shoot, and she enjoys it and is comfortable with it, but I don't feel this is really adequate for a self defense gun.  She is petite, only 5'2" and 105 dripping wet.  While she has handled full sized 1911's, she doesn't want to carry one around all day.  As an example, she also has a Sig P239 in 9mm that she likes to shoot, but she feels it's "too heavy" to carry all day.  I recently bought myself a Kel-Tec P-32 that I could give her, but it's not yet proven itself reliable.  Basically, I'm wondering what other options I have.  I think Beretta makes a 380 with a pop up barrel, and there is the new Kel-tec in 380 (which I'm somewhat wary of given my experience with the P-32).  I think sig makes a nice 380 also.  She does prefer autos to wheel guns, but let's not rule those out.  

I guess I'm really looking for something that she's willing to carry, reliable, lightweight, relatively powerful, with controlable recoil, that she will enjoy shooting.  Not too much to ask for is it?  Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Stan
Stan

Offline patm41

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 02:59:36 PM »
you may not agree  but consider a Makarov ,, cheap, all metal so a little weight to it,, small size, but not a compact,, but most important reliable. and accurate!!

My wife shoots one and is the same size as yours,, recoil is tame , she likes it and is confertable with it...

They are avaliable in 9x18 or 380...

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 05:55:40 PM »
In a wheel gun, I would recomend one of the Tarus ultralite's in 38spc or in 32H&R mag. The 38's are 5 shot and the 32 is a 6 shot the same size and weight.  They are both reliable guns and decent stoppers. I favor the 32 just because it holds one more round in the same size package, but eather is a good pick. They are light enough that she will be able to carry one easily and all the time.

In an auto, Berreta hase a good name, and I would use nothing smaller than a .380. Mu wife has a very tiny Davis .380 that is the same weight as my PPK. easy to hide and shoots well.

Greeenriver(Just my rambling thoughts on the matter. My next carry gun will be one of the Tarus ultralits in 32H&R Mag for myself, 'cause I use the 32H&R for Cowboy Shooting and am set to reload it.)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline BamBams

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 06:40:26 PM »
My advice is to take her to a good gun shop and let her pick out her own pistol.  Start with 9mm and go up.  Let her work the actions, practice her grip, etc.  My experience has taught me that, most times, when a husband brings home a gun for the wife it just doesn't work out well.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline strider72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 07:55:14 AM »
A Taurus Ultralite in .38 Spl. or a Bersa .380 would be my choice. I am actually going to acquire both for just that reason. That way they could shoot both and pick the one they like and the other goes in my safe. Win-win situation.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 08:54:50 AM »
I've got a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 (aka "9mm short") that has proven reliable after I put 350 rounds through it to "smooth" it up.

It jammed (failed to extract or failed to feed) 5 or 6 times during the first 150 rounds, but I was using Blazer ammo with aluminum cartridge cases.  I bought another 150 rounds of PMC .380 ammo with brass cases and most of the jamming stopped.

I ran about 140 rounds of brass cased ammo through the gun and had only 2 jams during the first 20 rounds, then no more jams during the next 120 rounds and I notice that the slide was also a lot "smoother" after finishing 300 rounds than it was after just 150 rounds.

Since then, I've had no more jamming problems... not even with the aluminum-cased Blazer ammo.

I think it was just a matter of shooting the little pistol enough to "smooth up" the action and get everything "loosened up".

My wife really likes the little Kel-Tec due to it's small size and weight... not really much (if any) larger than the Kel-Tec .32 caliber pistol you already have.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 09:15:43 AM »
My wife carries a 3” S&W M19 .357 with full boat loads.  I have seen the failures of trying to stop an attacker with a .22lr..  The wife also isn’t too comfortable with an auto loader that is why the revolver.  As stated take her to the store and let her try the different weapons there and see what she likes the feel of and then to the range and practice, practice, practice.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 09:35:46 AM »
For revolvers I would look into the SW 642 or 640. For autos I’d check out the Walther PPK/S, NAA Guardian, Sig 239 or one of the small Khars. Either way I’d let her choose what she wants but guide here towards good quality fire arms.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 06:24:44 PM »
:cb2: When I was selling guns I saw an awful lot of husbands buying what they thought was the best thing for their wives. Most were automatics, and some of the ladies couldn't even operate the slide. As many of the guys here have said, let her handle everything in the store if she has to, and pick the one that she feels comfortable with.

My wife wanted the Sig P232 (.380), but back then Tennessee handgun permits were issued by each county, and each county had different rules, and regulations. Our Sheriff wouldn't allow .380s, so she wound up with a Ruger SP101 in .357. (Now the handgun issue is run by the state, and you can carry anything.

Try the little Sig. The ergonomics are terrific. It's light, and the .380 in that very gun outperformed .38+Ps in snubbies in the Strousburg Tests.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 10:28:29 AM »
What the others said about letting her pick out her own gun is right. That's how my wife wound up with the little Davis .380 auto. She picked it out herself and learned to load and shoot it herself. I showed her years ago how to shoot, and she is proficient with both autos and revolvers. I didn't like the Davis, but she did and to date, after several boxes of full house JHP ammo, it has yet to have it's first jam or misfire. It also cost her $99.95 plus tax and $10.00 for the 3rd mag. It came with one extra and a lifetime warranty.  She got it at a gun show about 4 years ago. Good gun.

My .380 is made in Hungary, a direct copy of the Walther PPK series. This is a well made gun that uses Walther mags and shoot great. A little heaver that I like but still lighter that any of my 45SAA's, the gun is easy to hide and points well. I purchased it at the same gun show where my wife got her Davis. Mine had a 1 year warranty on it and that is long expired.

When I bought these two pistols, I purchased 3 boxes of shells loaded to factory levels with JHP bullets. I also bought dies ordered 1000 Starline cases and 1000 Remington 88grn JHP's. I loaded  500 rds for my wife, and 500 rds for me. My wife is down to her last couple of boxes, and I have about 3 or 4 boxes left from my THIRD loading of my 500 cases.

Her Davis has not had a single misfire or jam, and mine had 2, counted them and wrote them down, 2 stovepipe jams in the first 100 rounds. Both of them were on the last round from a clip.  After the first 100 rounds, nothing, not a single jam or misfire, not a problem of any kind. That, to me is the kind of reliability I want in a carry gun. Her Davis has a safety to disengage to shoot, mine has a decocker to drop the hammer and then flip back to the fire position, Double action on the first shot, single after that, no safety, just pull, point, and squeeze. Goes bang every time.

This pistol cost me $210.00 out the door at the gun show with 2 extra mags. I have since bought 5 more mags and rotate them.

My point is, take her shopping and let her pick out what she wants, it don't have to be a major brand name, it don't have to cost a lot, it just has to work for her.

My next carry pistol will be a taurus Ultra-lite in 32H&R mag, 6 shots instead of 5 in the same size package as a 38 snubby.

greeenriver( Only thing is, shoot it enough to be real sure it will work when you want it to)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Stan_TheGunNut

Thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 01:49:37 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  You're right, I do plan on taking her to the store to at a minimum handle any potential gun she might want, or better yet, take her to the range and let her shoot some more things before she picks one out. Mainly, I was just looking for what options might be available for someone who is looking for a small, lightweight, light recoiling self defense pistol...

Thanks again.
Stan
Stan

Offline jimmyp50

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 02:29:53 PM »
one thing to consider if the gun is how the gun might be carried.  If it were to be carried in a purse similar to my wife's purse which always has an assortment of loose makeup, grit, powder, dust, etc.  you might opt for a revolver.  Even though all guns work best when clean, if push came to shove two fingers on the trigger can make a wheel gun spin and go bang even if somewhat dirty.  An auto might turn into a single shot if not kept clean, so again how the gun is to be carried might matter somewhat.  Jimmyp
Jimmyp50Georgia