Author Topic: Spider Webs N Quail  (Read 626 times)

Offline oldgunr

• Trade Count: (0)
Spider Webs N Quail
« on: July 05, 2004, 02:52:18 PM »
On one of my first deer hunts, using a $15 303 enfield(what was called at the time a barrel gun) a borrowed tree climber, that had to weigh 50+ lbs. and advice from an experienced hunter I began my hunt. About 5am I entered the woods, gun on one shoulder climber on the other. After about 50 yds. of pushing through gallberry bushes I encountered a spider web, Not your typical house spider but one of those garden variaties about the size of a simi tire. It still amazes me how far I can throw a gun and climber when faced with a gigantic spiderweb, all wet and clingy. After my heart rate returned to normal and I had removed the spiderweb from my face, found my gun and climber I continued to my stand. Or so I thought. I had finally reached the planted pines in the area I was gonna hunt(did you know quail like planted pines, neither did I) Still spooked from the spider web and kinda pawing with my gun to clear anymore from my path I stepped into the middle of what had to be the largest covey of quail to have exsisted in the state of Ga. or anywhere else. Well when those hundred or so quail took off I set a new record in gun & climber throwing, and probably one in running through the woods briars, vines etc. Sometime after the sun had come up, & I kind figured out what had scared me so bad I did go back and collect the gun and climber. and even went hunting again some years later...

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
Spider Webs N Quail
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 03:26:37 PM »
oldgunr,

That is a great story.  I am still laughing!  Those quail will make a heart stop. :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Spider Webs N Quail
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 08:43:22 PM »
oldgunr,
Thanks for a good story. :)  :)  :) .  I've hit spider webs and quail coveys, but never on the same morning...I don't think I could deal with it either.
LOL,
TnNuc

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
Spider Webs N Quail
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 02:51:28 AM »
You think quail are scary? I flushed a turkey out of a tree while trout fishing. That'll make your heart thump! :shock:
JM :lol:
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.