Author Topic: keltec p3 verses beretta tomcat 3032  (Read 785 times)

Offline bigfish5

• Trade Count: (0)
keltec p3 verses beretta tomcat 3032
« on: July 07, 2004, 10:14:04 AM »
i am looking to buy a pocket pistol,, i love the looks of the keltec p3 , but having no extra safety's makes me worry a little.   I have 2 young sons who are gun crazy so i started looking for other options.  I found the beretta tomcac .32.  This gun has plenty of safety features,  full thumb safety, popup barrel , 2 positionhammer, also it is single and double action,   Here are the cons,  It is substantially heavier and wider.   Any ideas??/   Help would be appreciated.  this is first post, thanks in advance.

Offline Savage

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 03:28:34 PM »
Let's see----------the kel tec is smaller, lighter, and more powerfull. Hard choice! I would respectfully suggest that you not rely on any mechinal safety to make a gun safe. Just maimtain control of the weapon at all times, as you should with any weapon, especially around children. The kel tec is quite safe to carry. Keep your finger off the trigger till you're ready to fire and you"re good to go.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 07:20:55 PM »
I've owned both the Beretta .32 and the KEL-TEC .32. I still have the KEL-TEC because, within the ranges it was intended for, it is a true "point and shoot" gun. Just point and pull the trigger and all 8 rounds hit center of mass. The same wasn't true for the Beretta..... that thing shot all over the place... even at less than 7 yards. That Beretta got traded off.

Also the KEL-TEC is a lot lighter and slimmer than the Beretta... and conceals much easier.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline dovetailthis

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 09:14:05 PM »
I have a kel-tec .32 and I'm going to be the first to tell you that it has a long trigger pull. It isn't going to go off by accident. If a child picks up a gun unsupervised it doesn't matter if it has a safety or not. You are dealing with a potentialy deadly situation. A two year old can push a saftey to the side. A two year old can not cycle a slide and can not probably manage the long hard trigger pull of the kel-tek. I let my 14 year old brother shoot it supervised. He pulle the trigger back three times and stopped two times to start over before he finally pulled it far enough to discharge the round. You must make a very assertive decision to fire this gun and you can count on its double action only function.

Aaron

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 09:20:14 AM »
I agree with CK; DA revolvers have been around a long time without additional safety devices. Just don't remind the anti-gun nuts about it!

I found the P3's trigger pull more manageable than the S&W 642 I used to have; I traded it because I had to be holding it just right or I had a problem getting that trigger all the way back. You can get used to it, but in a pinch and under stress I just couldn't trust that I could use it so I traded it off.
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 06:44:30 AM »
I'm concerned when you say your kids are "gun crazy".  Do you mean they'd love to go shooting .... under your supervision ... or they're likely to get into your gun(s) and start fooling around?  If it's the latter, no combination of "safety" devices will necessarily prevent a tragic accident.  A kid will just start pushing & pulling things until something happens.
Safety mechanisms are a tricky thing; we want them to absolutely prevent the gun from going off at the wrong time (dropped, hit, etc.) ... no matter what; but ensure/allow that it absolutely WILL go off when we want it to.  That's why I'm nervous about the so-called "smart" guns; who knows if it will be "in the mood" when the need arises?  The only sure-fire (oops ... probably the wrong term) "safety" device that will prevent a gun from going off once it's in someone's hands is a full-blown trigger lock.  You can't count on the gun's mechanical complexity to stop a kid.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 10:57:42 AM »
I have had both, also and still have the Kel-Tech .380. Once you get used to placing the front sight over the rear, you will not have trouble with accuracy. It goes with me every day, a lot of times as the second gun, but it's always there. My Beretta shot all over the paper, too, and was as wide as some of my full size pistols. Have a Kel-Tech 9mm, also and both have been reliable.
Romans 8:38,39