Author Topic: used reloading manuals  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
used reloading manuals
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2004, 12:26:24 PM »
JPH,

I didn't bring up the .257 Weatherby, Mac did and I was trying to use data that fit his scenario.  Which kinda makes me wonder what you know about scientific methods, if you can't even keep your information straight.

As far as comparing the max load in a .25-06 with his Weatherby, all I said was, Hornady was giving him the equivalent of a max load in another caliber, which is certainly safe, since it would be a greatly reduced load in his gun.  If he keeps on listening to them, he will end up with a high dollar .25-20!

You certainly wouldn't want to use .300 Win Mag loads in a H&H, since the H&H holds less powder, but it would work the other way around, according to Speer #13, i.e. with a 180 gr bullet, the H&H holds a max load of 70.0 gr IMR 4831, but the .300 Win holds a max load of 73.0 gr of IMR 4831.  That's pretty much a no brainer.  Of course, one would have to figure out why they should burn 3.0 gr more powder in the .300 Win to get less velocity than the H&H.  

BTW, you are the one that brought up another chambering, even though you complained about referring to different calibers, I didn't do it!

ScatterGunner,

stoi·chi·om·e·try

1. Calculation of the quantities of reactants and products in a chemical reaction.
   2. The quantitative relationship between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

Nitroglycerine is normally a liquid (l), it under goes a specific reaction when it explodes and produces specific gases (g) in specific (stoichiometric) quantities.
4(C3H5N3O9) (l) -> 6N2 (g) + 12CO2 (g) + 10H2O (g )+ O2 (g) (Chemistry, The Central Science, 1997, page 841)
The percentage of nitroglycerine a powder has is going to influence the amount of gas the powder can produce and that gas production can be calculated precisely.
The reaction of cellulose with nitric and sulfuric acids may give the mono-, di-, or trinitrate, the degree of nitration being determined by the percentage of nitrogen in a sample of the product.

Nitrated cellulose containing more than 13% nitrogen is explosive and is extensively used in smokeless powder under the name "guncotton".  The "double-based" powders are mixtures of guncotton and nitroglycerine. (Organic Chemistry, 1964, page 472)
I suppose I shouldn't have used the term "oxidation" since the compounds in question have the O2 needed without externally supplied O2.  However, since glyceryl trinitrate only gives 90-95% yields and the rest can be mono or di, the purity of the compound is going to vary depending on the "batch" that was used in the actual production of powder.  Even in a continuous process, the final product is rarely the exact duplicate of the last tank shipped out.  Even in USP Propylene Glycol that Dr. Pepper uses in their products and you eat in your potato chips.  I believe we were allowed from 0 to .04 ppm water and that range alone is going to affect the final product, just like a range in component compounds is going to affect each batch of powder.

If we are talking about nitrocellulose, with cellulose being a natural occuring substance in cotton or wood pulp, it has to be remembered there are numerous site to attach the nitro groups and as already quoted, there can be more than 13% N2 or there can be less than 13% N2.  We also have to remember cellulose is dextro rotatory and if there was an attempt to use a synthetic cellulose, the racemic nature of the compound would have to be taken into account.  I don't even know if levo (sinister) rotatory cellulose has ever been determined to have the same properties as dextro.  It should also be recognized that cotton and sawdust, both sources of cellulose,  aren't exactly the same.

I'm actually getting weary of talking about this.  If you think the older manuals are dangerous, send them to me and I'll continue to use them.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
used reloading manuals
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2004, 01:09:51 PM »
hi paul -

no need to quote webster on definitions, i was trying to figure out what you meant in general terms. i was puzzled because you stated the chemical process was oxidation. be precise, accuracy is important !

i would prefer that you stated your answers in your own words instead of cutting and pasting quotes from old science books. however, you also didn't comment on geometry.

i may be wrong but we may be in violent agreement with each other.

anyway, today was a great day, i hopped on the harley, enjoyed the sunshine, and toured the village of liverpool, ny for a few hours.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
used reloading manuals
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2004, 02:57:19 PM »
ScatterGunner,

I didn't cut and paste, I typed those quotes in from my own personal books.  I don't consider 1997 to be that old.  In fact, it's much newer than my 1964 text book! :lol:   Besides, there are other people who read these threads who may not be familar with the terms.

I'm going to assume you mean the physical geometry of the powder particles, instead of the structure of the molecules.  So, we won't discuss whether it's 1,3 glycol dinitrate or 1,2 glycol dinitrate that is the biproduct of glyceryl trinitrate.

Certainly the surface area exposed to the influence of the primer has a lot to do with the burning rate, but Hodgdon doesn't seem to think there is any difference between H4831 and H4831SC.  By changing the length of the tube, the surface area has been changed for a given mass of the powder.  Even if the area changed the characteristics of H4831SC considerably, Hodgdon has had the powder blended to their specifications for burning rate and composition, so it is the same as the longer cut tubes.

Going back to the propylene glycol example, we didn't have any problem blending the products that were out of spec on water content, if that was the direction we wanted to go.  Other than that, we could reject it and it would be run through the fractional distillation unit again to remove the excess water.  Out of spec ethylene glycol usually ended up in the anti-freeze plant, since the water content wasn't critical for that application.  (There were only 2 tanks of anti-freeze, one red and one green.  Other than that, it was all the same, regardless of whose name was on the can.)

To state the composition of a particular powder has changed would only be a claim made by someone unfamilar with production processes for chemicals.  The same formula and reaction conditions always result in the same product within a specified range.  If it doesn't, it is scrapped, recycled or renamed.  Some of the newer Alliant products claim to be "new cleaner" powder and yet it burns and performs just like the old Unique, even though there is obviously something different from the old formula.  Whatever is different, it isn't the geometry.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
used reloading manuals
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2004, 03:42:10 PM »
i asked a simple question and wanted a simple answer and all i got was a peeing match . i just wanted to know what your feeling are about old manuals and thats it . if one person doesn't like someone else feeling then get over it God gave us freewill so we can't make anyone else agree with us.

mac you got a pm
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
used reloading manuals
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2004, 05:33:25 PM »
Mitchell,

You didn't actually ask a simple question, you just thought it was simple.  

The major problem with the older manuals is the discontinued powders they list and if you don't do enough research, the powders that don't have designations like "H" or "IMR".  They haven't made Alcan powders in about 20 years and N205 has been discontinued longer than that.

You aren't going to get hurt if you use the new manuals correctly, which is probably the best course for you to take.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
used reloading manuals
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2004, 03:12:37 AM »
paul:   i asked for your opinion on the subject and that was it . i didn't ask for you to try to change someone else's opinion.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while