Author Topic: Question for GB - Bushnell, Weaver, or.........  (Read 1580 times)

Offline John (Rojo)

• Trade Count: (0)
Question for GB - Bushnell, Weaver, or.........
« on: January 13, 2003, 06:41:54 PM »
GB and anyone who wants to put in their opinions,

I put in my order for a Savage Varmint 12BVSS in .223 with the new accu-trigger.  Had to see if it is going be everything they say it is.  Since I need to scope the rifle,  I contacted a well known optics discount website.   They really pushed the Weaver "V" series scopes.....the V24 6-24,  and the V16 4-16.   Since I have not seen any objective tests on these scopes,  and since they are seldom mentioned on the "optics discussion,"  I was somewhat leary.  I know the Weaver Classic has been around a long time.  Since I own a Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24 dot and am thoroughly pleased (thanks to your input and others),  I purchased the 4200 Elite 4-16 PLX.,  instead of the Weaver.

For my future reference,  here is my question;  In your experience and the experience of others,  how does the Weaver stack up to the Bushnell 3200/4200,  Burris and NIkon in optical quality, mechanics,  and ruggedness?

John (Rojo)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Question for GB - Bushnell, Weaver, or.....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 08:25:02 PM »
I've tried two of the new Weavers. I can't give either of them my endorsement. I'd rather use irons awhile longer and wait until I could afford a better scope myself.

The Leupold scopes especially the Vari-X III are still excellent scopes with customer service to back them up. I like them. But these days I generally turn to a Bushnell Elite when I need a scope. Nikons have never impressed me. I know lots of ya like them but I'm not a fan. Never owned one only looked thru those belonging to others on the range. I'm not likely to be owning one either.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 03:08:13 AM »
I own Leupold Vari-X IIIs, Burris Black Diamonds, Nikon Monarchs (and Pre-Monarchs), Nightforce NXS, and Bushnell Elite 4200s.

I am one of those folks that really likes the Nikons.  As I own both Nikon Monarchs and Elite 4200s, I believe, in my opinion, that optically speaking, the Monarchs and 4200s are very similar - I simply can't tell much of a difference, with an "ever so slight" edge to the Elite 4200s.

The Burris BDs are rock solid, but their optics are not as good at the Monarchs or ELite 4200s.

The Vari-X III are very good scopes but overpriced.

The Weavers?  Well, I never owned one, but I would be leary about any seller "pushing" this product.  I have been told that there is more of a profit margin on Weaver scopes than most other brands.

If you are seriously considering a Weaver, then you would still be much better off with an Elite 3200.

Zachary

Offline John (Rojo)

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 12:23:14 PM »
GB and Zachary,

Yes Zachary,  that is how I felt.  The person I spoke with was really high on and pushing the Weaver,  and kept telling me how it would be a "excellent choice"  for my style of shooting,  and caliber of rifle.  I told him I needed to think about it and would call him back in a few minutes.  After about ten minutes,  I called him back.  He acted a little surprised that I called back and I told him that one of my best scopes,  was a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24.  I said that for the money,  they are hard to beat.  I then ordered the 4-16x40 as I mentioned in my original post.  His response was,  "for your style of shooting and caliber of rifle, excellent choice."   That sounded familiar.

I would like to hear from anyone that has any personal experience with the Weaver "V" series.  I would like to know more about the quality of their lenses, mechanics, and durability.  The "T" series seems to be somewhat popular.   There has to be someone out there using it.  

Thanks GB and Zachary for your input.
John (Rojo)

Offline MF

• Avid Poster
Weaver Scopes
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 05:33:42 AM »
Hey Rojo!

I started with a Weaver K6 and now have a K8, classic V24, Grand Slam 3-10, and two 2.5-8 pistol scopes. All perform well for me, the V24 gets a little grainy up at 24x though. I guess if you are used to a certain quality you don't expect more. I'd better not look through any Swarovski or Leupolds though or my wallet might empty out in a hurry! :)

Offline Bridger

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 04:55:21 PM »
I  have a V16 that I bought cheap when they were closing out the silver colored models. I use it on a Ruger varmit rifle and its okay but I wouldn't buy another one. My tastes have gone to better optices I guess. I do like Weavers Grand Slam scopes though which I think are significantly better than the V series.

Offline John (Rojo)

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 08:53:00 PM »
Bridger,

In case you happen to monitor this forum,  what is it you don't like  about your V16 ?  Is it the quality of the lenses,  construction, or overall quality.  Based on what I've heard so far,  I'm feeling much more confident in going with the 4200 Elite.

Offline Bridger

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2003, 01:27:23 PM »
John
I just don't think the optics are very clear or bright. I paid about $180 for this scope when they were on clearance and I guess that's about what I think its worth too. I happen to have a 4200 on order in 4-16 for another rifle ( my tastes have escalated a bit) and if it's as nice as I hope it is I probably will end up replacing the V16. Oh well, its only money!!

Offline John (Rojo)

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2003, 03:59:36 PM »
Bridger,  I put a Bushnell 4200 6-24 on a Remington Varmint  many months ago.  I didn't give Bushnell much of a thought,  until I started monitoring this forum.  So far,  the scope has held zero,  and the optics are excellent.  I just received my 4200 4-16 today.  I'm  going to put it on a Savage 12BVSS .223 with the accutrigger when it comes in.  If it is anything near the 6-24,  I will be very satisfied.

If you want to read an interesting scope comparison,  go to Outdoor Life magazine.  They did a test on the 4200 4-16.  They compared it to the Zeiss Conquest,  Cabellas,  Redfield,  and Leupold.  The Bushnell tied with the Zeiss for the best brightness and resolution.  

I've been happy with my 4200.  I'm reasonably sure you will be happy with yours.  When you can,  let the forum know what you think about the 4-16.

John (Rojo)

Offline rimfire

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
weaver optics
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 05:30:36 AM »
I have tried the Weaver V series and was not that impressed with the optics.  However, I think their fixed power K-series are the best scope value out there.  I have Leupold VX-II variables and several Weaver K-4 and K-6's.  The Weaver fixed power scopes are much clearer than the Leupold VX-II's and I have yet to see a variable under $500 with as good optics as the fixed power Weavers.

Unless I really need the variable for a long range gun I use the K-series.

Have a K4 on one muzzleloader and a K6 on the other.  Have a K6 on a rimfire rifle I shoot long range for fun.  Gave my dad a rifle last year with a K6 on it.  He loves that scope.  Would buy more in a heartbeat.

Anyone have any comments on the Weaver fixed power 20X compact spotting scope?
Be honest with yourself.  Can you guarantee you would hit a paper plate at 250 yards...100 yards...50 yards?  Then you have no business replacing the plate with a live animal.