Author Topic: Was given a LEE PRESS today!  (Read 1318 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Was given a LEE PRESS today!
« on: July 09, 2004, 02:11:18 PM »
Yep.....looks like this one

only the shaft is a bit oily/rusty.....no dies or any other accessories, just the press. Now to just figure out what to get for loading my .223 and 25-06 and any other accessories I might need and how to use it all.......hint, hint. :wink:
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 03:08:02 PM »
Your well on your way! You need dies...lee comes with a shell holder...powder trickler,scale,can get by with scoops but suggest saving up for a scale....loading manual....primer seater...powder , boolits,primers...your good to go...enjoy the addiction.... :-D
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Flingarrows

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 03:44:03 PM »
a set of lee pacesetter dies is a good place to start. they come with shell holder, sizer die, seater, crimp, dipper and a basic load data sheet. Cabelas and others carry them: http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1089423638.2219=/html/index.html

Offline JPH45

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 04:05:27 PM »
First things first, get a loading manual, the Lee second edition will work just fine, about $12.00 or so. Or the Speer #13, or the Lyman #48, each cost about the same, but the Lee has the most data, it is a collection of powder manufaturer data, but it is good data.

Go ahead and get some primers, Small Rifle for the 223, Large Rifle for the 25-06. You shouldn't need Large Rifle Magnum for the 25-06, though a few powders might perform a little better with it, at present stick with the standard stuff. They come 100 to a box, 1000 to a carton, 5000 to a case

Go ahead and get the dies, get Lee because they do come with a dipper and you will be quite safe loading with that, but a scale is the next absolute purchase,unless you go ahead and get it at the same time you get the dies. I use the Lee scale at present, but much prefer the RCBS 1000. Hornady makes a good balance scale inexpensivly, Cabelas has one also. While the Lee works, I do feel there are better products of this type available.  

I don't think you will find a good compromise powder. H-380 ought to be about right for the 25-06, but 760 should perform well too. 4350 is about as slow as one should go here

BL-C2, 748, H-335 would all be good places to start with the 223, but my money would be on BL-C2.

Hodgdon is currently offering 4, 1/4 pound samples for the price of a pound cannister. Check out this deal, an exellent way to figure out what powder you or your gun likes (we do prefer to shoot what our gun likes  :-) ) so be sure to ask what others here are shooting and getting good results from.

If there is a compromise powder it is IMR 4895, but it is a stick powder and cranky to work with (It doesn't meter well in a powder measure)

For a while many beginning reloaders weigh everything. (Not a bad practice actually, just slow) I mounted a Lee powder funnel with a small c-clamp on the shelf my scale is on. When I weigh a charge, I can simply hold a case to the funnel, and pour the powder out of the weighing pan right into the case. This may not make much sense toyou at the moment, but remember it, it will save you a bit of time trying to figure out how to hold three things at once. It also allows you to easily segregate charged cases from uncharged cases. Keep us informed, JP
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline JPH45

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 04:08:53 PM »
Just remembered, you will absolutely have to have case sizing lube, otherwise you will stick your first case in the die and feel really silly, if not stupid (I've had a few of those duh moments myself) Again, the Lee lube is a very good product.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 04:10:33 PM »
I've downloaded the instructions for this from the Lee site. Looks like I do already have the shell holder but I'm gonna need a lot more stuff ain't I? I already have bullets, primers, and powder for the 25-06. This is gonna be a slow aquisition process for all the right accessories to get good at this unless I get blessed real good (my wife lets me spend like mad) or my ship comes in.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 04:13:40 PM »
Lik2hunt, beginning to feel like a fish? Your hooked now!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 04:22:13 PM »
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 04:45:28 PM »
Don't forget the priming tool..your press doesn't have a priming arm....Again the lee is a good one to start with and is relatively inexpensive and to ecco JPH45 don't scrimp on the scale....a good scale will serve you for a long time and YOU want to know what your powder weights are and you want them consistant....other wise...whats the point? :roll: I still use a Lyman M-5 I bought 40 years ago...works perfectly today.....and I've started using the spray lube...works very well with minimal clean up....
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 06:59:03 PM »
like2hunt:

You got mail :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 09:21:08 PM »
I started with RCBS press and dies.  I've now converted to three Lee presses, all Lee dies, Lee powder measure, Lee priming tool, Lee case trimmers, and I prefer the Lee lube over the RCBS.  I still use the RCBS scales.  I have a new Lee scale, but I like the RCBS scale better.  That's the only thing RCBS that I like over Lee.  

As for powder, my Handi .223 likes IMR-3031.  I seem to have the only one that likes that powder, but it works well for me.  My 30-06 Handi also likes IMR-3031, and I use it for long range shooting.  I can easily drop a wolf at 400 yards with the 30-06, with 165gr boattail.  I have knocked them over at 600yards, but I've missed a few too at that range.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
IMR 3031
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 02:03:13 AM »
Sourdough, Another vote for IMR 3031, Great for 308 Win.
  Marv.

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 03:30:58 AM »
i bought their anniversary kit 2 years ago. it came with the basics that i needed to get started, and came with the Lee reloading guide. i read through the book and all the instructions before i started, and still had a few questions, that veterans reloaders were able to answer for me. The kit comes with another press, but thats good. here is a link to that kit. i think i got it for 75.00 on sale at Cabelas http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1089465881.4666=/html/catalog/anivers.html

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 03:35:54 AM »
Think that press will flex FL sizing the 25-06 cases?  I bought one to use with the Lee push thru boolit sizers and ended up changing to an 'O' Press because it would bend when sizing 45 colt slugs and cause the punch to scrape the side of the sizer.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 03:54:42 AM »
Quote from: Haywire Haywood
Think that press will flex FL sizing the 25-06 cases?  I bought one to use with the Lee push thru boolit sizers and ended up changing to an 'O' Press because it would bend when sizing 45 colt slugs and cause the punch to scrape the side of the sizer.

Ian
:shock: Uh-OH!! Well since he will hopefully be loading for his 25-06 only he won't have to FL resize...Man I was just thinking of getting one of these too as a portable to take to the range...corse I would only be using it to seat a bullet at the bench....

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 04:10:03 AM »
Well these are some great posts and it looks like this might turn into a long thread so I just wanted to say before it did that I'll probably be picking up manuals, scales, dies, etc. a piece at a time along for a while until I get enough stuff to start with and that I can feel safe and efficient with. I have a Lee Loader kit and a 15 ct. dipper kit for the 25-06 now and will be using it until I get the press set up.

Haywire and deadeye - ?????? tell me more about the FL resizing because I had planned on using this for multiple calibers, but by the time I get to where I can afford another caliber I should be able to get another press too. More info please?
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 04:23:37 AM »
If you buy and shoot factory ammo in your rifle to get your supply of brass for reloading then you can just resize the case mouth.....the factory ammo "fireforms" to YOUR exact chamber dimentions for YOUR rifle...sooo no need to full-length resize your brass. If your going to be a range hound ( I am! :roll: ) and pick up other peoples brass then you should full length resize to assure the reloaded ammo will chamber in YOUR rifle.

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 04:26:36 AM »
What about NEW unfired, unprimed brass?
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 04:28:40 AM »
I full length resize new brass ,  trim to length and chamfer OD and ID....others might disagree on this practice....

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 04:48:38 AM »
I picked up a 50 pack of new Win brass a week or so back. The cases are a little longer than the once fired Rem brass I had been using.  Shoulders match up though. I loaded up several and made sure the OAL was the same as the factory Rem stuff. I reemed the bullet area with a pocket knife beforehand and the primer area. I tried both the unloaded and loaded Wins in my Ultra and both fit and ejcted well. I'm gonna shoot 'em. What do ya think?
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2004, 08:33:08 AM »
"I tried both the unloaded and loaded Wins in my Ultra and both fit and ejcted well. I'm gonna shoot 'em. What do ya think?" :lol:
I'd say the loaded ones will shoot better...hehehehe :)  Just jabbin ya!!  As long as the shoulders match up and the OAL is correct...your good to launch!! :lol: If ya want Lik2hunt I have some 25-06 dies and I will full lenght resize your brass for ya to start with till ya get set up.../.Let me know...shipping shouldn't be too bad for 50 rounds or so....wouldn't take 30 minutes and back in the mail to ya.. :D But if they all fit anyway..your good to go....

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2004, 10:27:36 AM »
Deadeye you're a pretty funny guy.  I bet we'd get along good. I like to fun around and :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  Just keeps life in perspective ya know.
I'll get back with ya on that resizing deal after a trip to the range..........with the loaded Win cartridges. :wink:
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2004, 10:45:08 AM »
I bought a couple of Lee hand presses for myself and a friend, we don't have any trouble full length sizing .280 Remingon in them, but sometimes you have to yank on the handles a bit to get them open if you didn't get enough lube on the case.
I think Midway gets $26 for the kit with powder funnel, lube and priming tool. (but I'd rather use my Lee Auto-Prime than the Ram Prime supplied in the hand press kit)

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2004, 12:31:54 PM »
Let me know lik2 hunt! :-D  Ya know lee make some pretty thrifty stuff...the only exception being their scale...I have heard nothing but complaints on it but the rest of the stuff is pretty good and their dies are great....as a matter of fact I would think some of the other manufactures would be kinda embarrased to charge what they do for their dies...and they don't even come with a shell holder or a powder scoop!! :x And yes the lee auto-prime is a real deal! We would get along pretty good lik2hunt...I like to laugh...corse as some on here might agree my sense of humor might become annoying at some point but ...... :roll:  :-D

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2004, 08:12:01 AM »
like2 -

make sure you get a case trimmer too. lee makes a good inexpensive one. my 22 hornet handi splits necks if i don't keep them trimmed.

for your dies, get the lee deluxe, you get a collette die and a regular full length sizing die for $26(?) or so.

i use a lee handpress and a challenger press , i have one like yours which is great and it's my choice for for sizing bullets. lee is just real good stuff for the money (OPINION ALERT !!!).

and for gods' sake, DON'T buy an OLD reloading manual !!!!!!!! :-D  :-D

have fun !!!

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2004, 04:56:33 PM »
Liktohunt; If  you've got the dies and shell holder, come across the woods and let's load some. I'm pretty sure that its a no. 3 shell holder,and I've got it. Bring the gun and we'll measure the distants to the lands and get you a oal. to work on. While you're hear we'll neck size, trim to lenght,and weigh each charge.I've got some Fed. match magnum primers that need to be used up also.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2004, 03:59:55 AM »
Lik2hunt, I used a press just like that for the first three years I reloaded.  I never had a problem with it at all until I started resizing 45-70 cases and snapped the press arm off :shock:

I think that may have been partly my fault though.  I use Hornady One Shot case lube and I've found that I have to really be generous with it on the 45-70 cases.

Now I've upgraded to the new Lee Classic Cast press.  I really like this press a lot.

You should get many years of good use out of that little press.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2004, 12:37:24 PM »
Digger - I don't have any dies just yet, but the rest sounds pretty good to me. I'll be there soon as I get freed up for a little while. Give me a call on my cell if ya still got the number. Last 4 are 0700.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2004, 05:38:31 PM »
This little press is much like the Hand Press. Had one for years and pack it around for varmint shooting and load while waiting for the gun to cool down. Not much good for HD full length sizing big cases. I also use it for load testing and during BR matches.

Your press can be packed around too and used clamped to a saw horse or a truck bed with a couple of 12" wood clamps. Its a great little tool.
Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.