Author Topic: What 243 load?  (Read 979 times)

Offline The deerslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What 243 load?
« on: July 11, 2004, 04:59:10 PM »
I need a good 243 load for deer. Im going to use it in an open field so I need a load for long shots.

Offline flintlock

What 243 load?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 05:44:53 AM »
Go with the Federal Premium 85gr BTHP...if you need more details...go to Deer Hunting and look at my post...."Field Report on 85gr BTHP"...flintlock

Offline Lawdog

What 243 load?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 12:26:46 PM »
fred722,

In a factory load go with Federal Premium VITAL SHOK ammo.  Catalog number P243E.  This load uses a 100 Nosler Partition bullet which is as light a weight bullet as you want to use on deer.  If you reload then try 44.0 gr. of H-1000 and work up from there using the same 100 gr. Nosler Partition bullet.  Driving a to light of weight bullet to fast will most likely end up causing you to loose deer.  Stick with the heaviest weight bullet you can get in .243 caliber.  Good luck and small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline flintlock

What 243 load?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 06:04:08 AM »
Fred....the Federal Premium 85 gr loading is superior to the Federal Premium 100gr Nosler Partition, especially once you get past 200 yards...
I've used both in my .243 that I bought in 1980, and have killed about 125 deer with...Within 200 yards the 100 gr Core Lokts, Partitions and the Hornady Spire Points work fine...I've killed 5 deer with the Partitions...and 11 with the 85gr BTHP, one of my hunting partners has killed 6 more...
these deer were killed from 30 to 235 yards, I also have a friend of mine who has killed 3 black bears with this bullet...Buy a box of the Partitions and a box of the 85gr BTHP, sight-in 2 1/2 high at 100yds....then shoot at 300 yards, do this with both loadings and you will see which bullet is better for long range deer hunting....

The 85gr HPBT is faster at 300 yards than the 100gr Partition is at 200....
at 300 the 85gr is still moving at 2600fps....the 100gr is 2300...(Federal Ballistic Table....I know none of these are accurate, but this is used for comparision)....the proof is when you try these bullets in your gun at 100 and 300 yards (redneck chronograph)...the energy at 300 is more with the 85gr than the 100 gr Partition....(1280fpe vs 1170fpe)...so the only question is "Is the 85gr tough enough for whitetails???"  Now, I'm not fortunate enough to have 250 pound deer in eastern NC...but for deer up to 150 pounds...it sure is.
Just because a bullet is a hollow point, doesn't mean its a varmint bullet...It also has to do with the size hollow point, the thickness of the jacket and the hardness of the lead core....

Sierra puts out a newsletter...they make the 85gr BTHP....in Volumn 7, No. 4 here is what they had to say....
"Within their caliber and for their weight our toughest varmint and hunting rifle bullets are hollow points. By "toughest" we mean that Sierra hollow point GameKing rifle bullets expand less and penetrate more than their lead and plastic tip counterparts, the Spitzers. That is the opposite of pistol bullets. It is also the opposite of what everyone except those who use them would think of our hollow point GameKing rifle bullets. Still, it is true of each Sierra hollow point from the little .224 40 grain HP through the 165 grain 30 caliber HPBT.
While our flat base hollow points are tough varmint bullets that can put down coyotes, our hollow point boat tails (except for the 55gr. .224 bullet) are excellent medium and big game bullets capable of antelope, deer, black bear, moose, and elk. These hollow points were designed with hard cores and heavy jackets to not only eliminate tip deformation, but also to withstand the higher impact velocities often incurred at the closer ranges. As with books, bullets cannot be judged from its title or a look at the outside."  End of quote.

Over the past 23 hunting seasons I've tried every domestic factory .243 loading, except the ballistic tips on deer.  If you anticipate shots over 200 yards, the Sierra GameKing 85gr BTHP is the way to go. Period. flintlock

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
What 243 load?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 08:28:34 AM »
Personally using the 243 win for deer, I would not use nothing less than a 100gr bullet, I use Hornadys 100gr Interlock FB, I have also used BT as well, both using RE19 a very good powder for the 243win, found that Fed GoldMatch GM210M worked the best, also used CCI's worked well. Remember this is a 308 cart necked down plenty of powder to push 100gr bullet with much more authority than a 85gr bullet and I think 100gr bullet will penetrate better as well, I use 85gr bullets for coyotes works well, much smaller animal than a deer. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
What 243 load?
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 08:45:30 AM »
Dave in WV and I have had great success with handloaded 100gr. Remington Core-lokts.  No deer taken probably weighed more than 160lbs. on the hoof and the farthest shot was about 125 yards.   I have no experience with any other bullet in .243, but flintlock's experience with the 85 gr. Sierra Gamekings are pretty impressive.

Offline BEN243

What 243 load?
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 10:21:07 AM »
You might want to listen to Flintlock ... The Sierra 85 grain HPBT is a wonderful great game bullet. I have used it since the middle 60's with excellent results on both varmints and deer size game. I can honestly say that I have never lost or had to track a deer very far hit with this bullet (Maybe I'm just lucky !). I also think Sierra actually beefed this bullet up a few years ago, but I can't prove it. I believe its now jacketed heavier and I think its more streamlined. Years ago it was very unusual for it to exit a deer, although it sure would tear them up inside. However in the last couple of years, I've seen it exit quite a few times. Six of my hunting buddies have also used this bullet (2- 6mm's, 3- 243's, 1- 6/284... including 2 gunsmiths) at one time or another with excellent results. Ben243

Offline Lawdog

What 243 load?
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 10:24:25 AM »
flintlock,

Please tell me you don't believe all the hype put out by companies do you?  Do you really think that Sierra would put information in their newsletter that was unfavorable to them?  I have tried those 85 gr. GameKing bullets and they don't hold together when hitting bone.  And no one should be shooting at any deer with a .243 Win. over 275 yards.  The .243 Win. in the hands of a skilled hunter/shooter isn't much more than a 250-275 yard rifle.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline flintlock

What 243 load?
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 02:20:01 PM »
What reason would I have to lie about my experience with this bullet???
As I have stated in other posts, I am lucky enough to have 3 farms in the family, between brothers, nephews and buddies, we kill 40-50 deer a year.
We raise corn, peanuts, wheat and soybeans so we have ready made food plots...I'm 48 and have killed more than my share of deer (over 300)
I called Sierra about 4 weeks ago...thats when I heard about their newsletter...the Sierra rep I talked to said they get more calls on this bullet being a "drop them in their tracks" bullet than the next three that they make. I went through their newsletters, and thats when I found the article on their hollow point bullets...this was after I had killed 11 deer with,  and one of my hunting buddies 6...all but 3 dropped at the shot...these 3 were all center lung shots...one 30 yards away, one 150 and one (a nice 8 pt) at 235...in each case, the bullet exited the deer,and we had a good blood trail....The first deer I shot with this bullet was about 100 yds away...high shoulder...bullet went through both shoulder blades...the deer dropped in the soybeans...the 2nd deer was 225 yards away...angling away...bullet went in between last two ribs...penetrated though right shoulder blade...she dropped...the 3rd deer was 50 yards, bullet went through both shoulder blades the deer dropped at the shot....the last two deer I shot with this year were 75 and 175 yards away (had 27 deer in field)...both broadside...dropped the first...bullet went through both shoulder blades...the herd headed to the woods...5-6 stopped just short...hit 2nd just behind shoulder...bullet went through shoulder blade in off side...No..I don't believe everything I hear...but I do believe what I see...I've got several more I could tell you about...but if this is not enough, then I can't help you...I worked for John Deere for 13 years...I will say that most companies do want to make the right recommendations to their customers, if they recommend a certain product, and it doesn't work as stated...they may have just lost a customer.

Of course, you could make a trip to eastern NC, Oct 16th is the date I believe...you just have to promise to drag out and skin every deer me and my buddies kill with this bullet...kinda the Jeremiah Johnson gig...better sharpen your knife... :-D  
flintlock

Offline Lawdog

What 243 load?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 08:32:35 AM »
flintlock,

What reason would I have to lie about my experience with this bullet???

Where in my post did I ever say you lied?  I said you shouldn’t believe everything that companies say about their products.  How many times have you heard of a company printing unfavorable reports about their products?  Also I said the 85 gr. Sierra bullets never worked for me in my .243 Win. or my .240 Weatherby Magnum.  They always broke apart, just as they were designed to do on lighter game.  The deer we were shooting using them were Blacktails, a tad bit smaller than those Whitetails you are shooting.  Lawdog

Offline rockbilly

What 243 load?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »
:roll:  :roll: I think it's all about what works best for you..........I'm 60+ and lost count of the number of deer I have killed many years ago.  I shoot a Sako (bull barrel) and my load of choice for years has been 33gr of IMR3031, CCI 200 primer and a sierra 100gr BT.  I know this is a "light" load in relation to what can be loaded, but this load works great for me.  It is super accurate, 3-5 shot groups the size of a quarter at 75 yards.  I hunt West Texas where most of my shots are 100 plus yards.  I have made many one shot kills with this load at 250-300 yards.  Mostly, I hunt from a blind and have a good shooting seat and rest for the heavy Sako.  I have tried other loads over the years and have always gone back to this load for hunting deer.  I bought that old Sako in Germany in the mid-sixties from a ROd and Gun Club.  If I remember correctly I paid $225. for it, but wouldn't take $1000. for it today.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
What 243 load?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 12:04:14 PM »
Rockbilly,

I sure would like to see a pic of that Sako if you can post it.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.