Author Topic: gun newbie question  (Read 495 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
gun newbie question
« on: July 12, 2004, 09:17:04 PM »
In the heat on Saturday (when my 223 was walking around on me) it occurred to me-uh, when you have mirage conditions which image do you shoot?  Do you shoot the bottom one because heat rises and refracts the view?  Did anyone learn in the military or by trial and error?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
gun newbie question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 05:12:34 AM »
Reminds me of a trade gun trail I shot with a smooth bore flintlock(no rear sight) when I was buckskinnin....The last target on the trail was a vertical drinking straw at about 25yds, me and another shooter were tied and it was a hot day, our barrels were hot and mirage was very prevelent. Looking over my barrel that straw looked like a pretzel except for the very tip top, so I lined up on that well above my point of aim and took the shot, made the point that he didn't!  :-D I'm not aware of any tricks other than that, ya can't hit what ya can't see.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
gun newbie question
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 07:54:51 AM »
Mirage is like the wind it moves around comes and goes wait for clear picture and shoot as soon as the image stops moving. don't toddle.

A mirage shield on top of the barrel in front of the scope helps a lot it is fastened with a couple of strips of velcro glued to the barrel.  A 2" wide strip of white plastic used for window blinds works well. Heat waves off the barrel creates most of the mirage.

You can also buy them from Russ Haidon Supplies Gig Harbor WA.

Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.