Author Topic: Hi-Power clones  (Read 474 times)

Offline brasschaser

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi-Power clones
« on: July 14, 2004, 12:01:56 PM »
Are any of the copies of the Browning hi-power out there decent?  I see AIM distributing has one called an ARCUS-94 for $240, but it must be a POS for that price.  Also noticed there's a Charles Daly one being made, an FN and some other one from Argentina.  What gives with these?  I'd think the FN might be decent.

Offline michbob

• Avid Poster
Hi-Power clones
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 01:20:05 PM »
I might be wrong, but I believe all HP's are built by FN.  I've seen FN marked HP's at gun shows around here, and they are plain-jane military issue in finish, but seem to be well made.

Anyone else?

Michbob

Offline John Traveler

High Power clones
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 04:59:44 PM »
All High Power (Browning P-35) pistols are NOT made by FN!

As the sidearm of choice of dozens of the world's armies for almost 70 years, it was made in many places.

Fabrique Nacional (Belguim) was the original manufacturer and license holder.  They also sold manufacturing licenses to Fabrica Militar  (Argentina) and several other countries.  German occupied Belgium made over 150,000.  John Inglis (Montreal, Canada) made over 150,000 guns for the British and China during WWII.  Several countries including Indonesia, Hungary, and China, made unlicensed copies after the patents expired.

The FN High Powers you see today are probably assembled in Portugal from major parts made in Belgium.

Although mostly functional and reliable, the non-FN HP guns are not as desireable in fit and finish as "original" Belgian High Powers.
John Traveler

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Hi-Power clones
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 02:24:45 AM »
Gun Tests Magazine ran a comparison of the Hi-Power, the FN and another production gun, a coouple of months ago.  

The Hi-Power was the matt finished, ambi-safety assembled in Argentina (I had one once) and it was the best of the lot.  The FN was the mirror blue finish wtih the wooden grips and came in 2nd.  Whoever made the last one came in a distant 3rd place.  

Jon Traveler is right about the number of different producers of this pistol but right about now I am going to say that it appears the Argentine assembled P-35 is the one you would want to purchase.  It was described as the most reliable and functional.  HTH.  Mikey.