Author Topic: 30-40 Krag AI?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline stratocaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
30-40 Krag AI?
« on: July 15, 2004, 02:52:38 AM »
Anyone have any experience with this round?  I'm thinking I would be a great caliber in a 15" encore.  I figure the case capacity is just about right to get an effective powder burn out of the 15" barrel and the rim is a nice asset in the encore.  My only concern, I hear, is that the 30-40 cases are some what weak.

Offline naedlaen

30-40 Krag AI?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 09:15:02 AM »
Not much info on most of what you asked, and really my comments lead to another question, so here goes.  30-40 krag brass and 303 british brass are easily formed from the other, so if 30-40 krag is weak and the 303 brit is not, you have a brass source.  www.reloadbench.com has cartridge drawings

Neal

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
30-40 Krag AI?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 02:08:46 PM »
I'm working with this round at present. So far I'm not worried about brass strength.  But I'll know more in a couple weeks.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
30-40 Krag AI?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 12:46:25 PM »
Hey Strato,
  Sorry this took so long, it's been really busy. I don't have a wealth of info yet. But so far I found fireforming worked best with 1 gr. over min. of h322 with either 150's or 180's. A preliminary load ramp up to 52.5 grs of H 4350 with 165 BT's  produced very good accuracy at 52 and 52.5 grs. with an avg velocity at 2390+ fps and a 16 fps extreme spread. :grin:
 No pressure signs yet. Still working on it. Will post as results are obtained.
Dave

Offline stratocaster

• Avid Poster
30-40 Krag AI?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 05:08:28 PM »
Hey Onesonek,
Thanks again for the info.  That is some great velocity you are getting.  I'm working with a 15" 30-06 right now and I'm only getting 2350 with IMR4064 and 165 Sierra.  Accuracy is great (under 1" ant 100 yards) but talk about inefficient!  I have seen greater velocities with a 308.  I really like what I'm hearing from your 30-40ai.  It looks like I'll be giving David Van Horn a call real soon.
As a side note, I just got my 25-444ai barrel from David Friday and spent all day fire forming 150 cases (only 50 more to go).  I can't wait to see what this barrel will do with the formed brass and a 115g B-tip.
Well anyway, thanks again.  If you don't mind, please keep me posted on your progress.
All the best,
Mark

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
30-40 Krag AI?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 04:47:44 AM »
:D Stratocaster,
I shot another ramp yesterday, up to 24.5 H4350. Got 2495fps avg. with a 20fps spread. I started to see faint pressure signs though. It was windy again, so i didn't bother recording accuracy. Smallest group was alittle under an inch though. I know I wasn't real steady. Got to built a portable solid bench,one of these days. Shootin of bags and vehicle hood just ain't good enough most days.
So far though, I'm leaning towards the 52.5 @ 2390, accuracy was excellent, and about perfect velocity, for the ranges I'll be hunting deer with. So I'm giong to play around abit in that 52-53 gr. area, see if I can't get a "ragged hole" group.
For now though, I'm going to see what 150's will do.
Dave

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
30-40 Krag AI?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 12:32:19 PM »
Before I got, or get, I should say, I tried the 4350 with 165 gr.  Scirocco's. 53 grs. shot 1.2" groups @ a 100yds. Velocity avg. was 2380 fps.
Dave

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
30-40 Krag AI?
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 02:38:15 PM »
stratocaster.
If you are looking for rimmed case in 30 caliber the 307 has endless possibilities by moving the shoulder down or just steepen the shoulder. Neck it down to any caliber. Turn it into a BR case witha rim,besideds the Encore is not handicapped by a rimless case. The 30-40 Krag is not designed for high intensity 30 calibers. A 30BR is a very good caliber for a pistol. 30x47 or 46 with a rim is super or just a 307.  Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
30-40 Krag AI?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 11:03:43 AM »
Hi Fred,
I know you directed you statement at Strato, but,,,,
I seriously considered the 307 before deciding on the 30-40 (aka. 30US)
case. While the 307  case may be stronger, it has less capacity and cost more. So the weaker ? 30-40 case having maybe a shorter life span, is of lttle consequence. The larger capacity of the 30-40AI will perform very close to the 307 if not exceed it at lower pressures, aleit, at the expense of more powder. As for the other cases mentioned, they seem a little tough to find at times.
 No disrespect intended towards your thoughts or opinions. I just respectfully disagree. Quite honestly, I think an IMP version of the 303 would beat a 307 also. I guess it boils down to what one is really after or wants. jmho
Dave

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
30-40 Krag AI?
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 06:24:41 PM »
Dave, you are absolutely right in your assessment. But there are several items in wildcatting that are important to consider by first time wildcatter.

1.When it comes to wildcats I am looking for the most efficient and the strongest case you can get, because you want to outperform whatever.
Using Lapua brass where you can is the way to go ( they cost twice as much). But they are dimensional consistent very strong and have long life.

2. Fire forming cost money. Case prep can be very time consuming.
so don't waste either on poor and weak brass.

3. A 307AI will out perform the old timer in velocity, using less powder and the cases will outlast the barrel. They also provide a greater margin of safety.

4. A modern wild cat will be easier to sell if you have too. But as is, wildcats are not easy to sell and have diminished value compared to a standard calibers. You never ever get your money out of a wildcat. Not to mention the custom dies you have to give away with the deal.

Last but not least if you have to worry about  money a wildcat is not the way to go, there are many associated costs to consider. Besides most of the time they will not perform as you thought they should. Or don't shoot so good because the smith did a poor job or used a poor reamer,etc, etc, and they may be no better then a standard caliber.

I am a dyed in the wool wildcatter and have build and used many over the years, some very excellent ones others so and so, a few very poor in either accuracy or performance.

Here is what I have used 22Varminter, three 6mmPSP, 243AI long neck),
6MM-284, 6x47FM own design,  280RCBS, Three 280AI, two 7mmSSAI my own design, two 25 Hunter, 30BR, 6PPC the latest one, and another modified 25 Hunter on a full length 243 case in progress.

Besides I have gone through all the hic-ups that are common to wildcats.
Hic-ups are not mistakes but an admission of ignorance. :lol:

Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.