Author Topic: Low Priced Scopes - Several Questions  (Read 560 times)

Offline Extremesolo

• Trade Count: (4)
Low Priced Scopes - Several Questions
« on: July 16, 2004, 02:09:43 AM »
I am purchasing a new .243 and am looking to put a variable power scope on it.  I have been searching around on the internet and have found some very low priced variables.  I know you usually get what you pay for so I would like some feedback on several scope manufacturers.  Barska, Leapers, Tech View, Winchester, and Guide Gear all have very budget priced scopes I was just curious who makes the scopes for these manufacturers and also if anyone has any experience with any of the mentioned scopes.  I am looking for a good value and don't want to break the bank.  I am trying to stay under $100 for a 4-12x40 or something similar.  All of the scopes look good but I am concerned about their ability to function in a hunting situation without worrying about the durability of the optics.  All replies are welcome as well as any other suggestions.
Stop telling God how big your problems are, and start telling your problems how big your God is!

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 03:14:51 AM »
What in the world are you looking at?  I honestly haven't even HEARD of some of those scopes, and I've been in the optics world a long time.  I'm not saying get a $400 Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch, or more for a Leupold VXIII, but please, try not to get any of those scopes you mentioned.

If you want budget, then the lowest you should go is a Bushnell Trophy.  A good 3x-9x should be around $100 or so.

If you're able to wait a little bit to save a little more money, which I recommend, then at least try and get either an Elite 3200 3x-9x (which has a lifetime warranty and a one-piece tube) or a Nikon buckmaster 3x-9x.

Take a look at theopticzone.com.  I'm sure you'll find their prices to be among the lowest anywhere, and their service is excellent.  In fact, I myself am planning on buying another Nikon Monarch 3x-9x-40mm gloss on a potential purchase of a Tikka T3.

Zachary

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 03:19:10 AM »
You can depend on the fact that you are giving up something in either coatings, quality of glass and mechanical function when you move from the $300+ range scopes to the under $100 scopes. No denying it.

But I've looked over and used two or more models from the entire Bushnell line of scopes from the top of the line Elite models to the very lowest priced and I must say that in their price range each is a solid buy. No failures of any kind to date with them. They are all plenty clear and bright enough for hunting use and adjustments worked as they are supposed to work. I didn't subject all of them to heavy recoil extensively as my shoulder just won't take the recoil and I don't even own guns to do so. Can't really speak to that part of the equation. But I'd sure not be afraid to buy and use any of the Bushnell line of scopes to include the lowest priced ones if that was the price range I needed to buy into. I'm still using several of them on guns around here now and they are still holding up fine.

I've seen some of those cheaper ones you're talking about and boy were they JUNK. Images weren't clear and adjustments didn't take and hold as they are supposed to. I've not yet checked out the new Tasco line now owned by Bushnell but likely will be getting some for our new E-Zine staff to test out and report on in the near future once we get the E-Zine off and running. I might try to take the time to check out some myself. But until then I can recommend the Bushnell line in all price ranges. They have one in any price range you want from under $50 to over $400.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 07:35:18 AM »
You won't get much of a new 4x12 scope for that low of a price. What are you going to use the rifle for? You may well be over scoping the rifle with a 4x12 if deer hunting is your main use.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein