Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE 10 MM?  (Read 653 times)

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE 10 MM?
« on: July 16, 2004, 12:29:05 PM »
I have been following a thread on the S/W forum about the 10 mm cartridge and handguns for same.  

My local gun store is bringing in a Dan Wesson Razorback in 10 mm for me to look at.  Does anybody have experience with this pistol/round that can offer me advice?  

What is a decent retail price for the Razorback?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Fred a/k/a HappyHunter
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 01:08:36 AM »
The 10mm is, according to those who favor it, one of the most versatile weapons out there. It has some inherent concerns to go along with the versatility of the weapon.
It packs a powerful recoil at full strength and as such the tuning/parts of this gun are a little different. Pistolsmith has a forum dedicated to the 10mm. You may find this an interesting read.
A wonderful field gun and deadly personal protection weapon. I am thinking of this caliber in a 6" long slide.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 02:36:33 AM »
I have personal experience with this cartridge in the Glock 20/29, Colt Delta Elite and the fullsize Wittness. The witness is the only 10mm I currently own. I think this would make a great woods gun, flat shooting, (for a pistol) and reasonably powerful. I think it would be adequate for deer size game at reasonable ranges. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on hogs! And for sure more than capable in any self defense sitituation you might find yourself in. There are some speciality ammo makers out there that load good hunting and self defense rounds. However, you really need to reload for this round if you want to shoot it very much. With the S&W wheelies moon clips allow you to shoot .40 S&W (shudder) if you want cheap plinking ammo. A simple recoil spring and barrel change accomplishes the same thing in the Glocks or witness.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 07:35:24 AM »
I'd feel a lot better with a 10mm than I would a 45ACP or GAP, the cartridge can be loaded up or down to be whatever you need.  Mild stuff for practice and training younger shooters, midrange for daily carry, and hot stuff for hunting and "social situations".   :shock:

I also like the idea of a 10mm in a carbine, think how much fun you could have with a light, handy semi-auto that has more punch at 200 yards than the 45ACP has at the muzzle!  Piggies beware!   :twisted:

PJ the Boar Blaster Wannabe
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 02:03:42 AM »
Yo Happyhunter - Papajohn said it right, the 10mm is a versatile caliber with a wide range of application.

You can load or obtain loads ranging from 135 grain hps as a very explosive personal defense round or go all the way to 200 gn hard cast for field use.  Some folks speak to the recoil of the cartridge but that can be easily dealt with through the use of ehavy recoil spings from Wolff.  I wouldn't have any problems carrying one in the field or using it for Whitetail or Hog.  Although I consider the 45 acp a premier defense round I would prefer the 10mm in the field for heavier hitting and better penetration with heavy or hard cast bullets.  And yes, as williamlayton indicates, in a long slide it would be that much better.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Camp Cook

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 09:57:47 AM »
I carry either a Colt Delta Elite 10mm with a 6" Barsto barrel or a Glock 20 10mm with a 5" KKM barrel when I'm working in the bush here in British Columbia. I have had my Colt since 1987 and just got the Glock last year. I have aslo been reloading for the 10mm since 1987. This is one  extremely versatile round with 135gr Nosler HP's going out of my 6" Colt @ 1750fps on up to 200gr Hornady XTP's @ 1280fps. I also carry Ruger Bisley Vaquero's in 45 Colt but I find that I usually have the Glock 20 with me. The best forum that I have ever found on the 10mm is Glock Talk, go to the 10 Ring and 10mm Reloading sections.
Cam
<")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Got the S/W 1076.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 01:55:15 AM »
I ended up ordering a Smith Wesson 1076.  I will have it next Thursday.  Next is to make a few loads for testing properly.  Any suggestions??

First rounds will be 180 gr lead round flat point that are laying around for a 40 s&w.  Probably with AA # 5.  

This gun is law enforcement model without the safety, and has the 4-1/4 inch barrel.

Thanks,

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.