Author Topic: Quality of work.  (Read 895 times)

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Quality of work.
« on: July 17, 2004, 07:57:26 PM »
Just got a “jacket reducing” die set from Richard. This is exquisite craftsmanship; it has a nest on the punch with a spring attached to the nest and punch base. The spring is to keep the nest attached and in place on the punch. The nest holds the jacket to be reduced in alignment to the die so it does not get crocked sideways. I’m glad I converted everything over to Richard’s equipment.

Don’t get me wrong. Dave’s equipment has never failed nor broken on me. This is just a personal opinion that I like Richard’s equipment better. Per cost I think it is built stronger, with a higher degree of craftsmanship and design. Richard’s basic press has a much larger ram to resist lateral compression better and same with his dies and punches. You can get the same strength in Dave’s equipment. While you would need to go to the larger Mega-Mite press and the H-dies, the price tag for the press would increase almost 250% and the dies would double at lease. Then there is the quality of craftsmanship and design. Richard does all the work himself where this quality can be controlled to a higher degree whereas Dave employs workers to do the jobs for him. Each one of these points is both pluses and minuses, like I said it is just a personal opinion.
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Smokin7mm

Quality of work.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 02:51:11 AM »
I have to agree.  Richards equipment is top notch.  I Picked up a jacket reducing die back in June and it is a sweet set up.  As Donna stated the nesting cup assures the alignment of the jacket before it goes into the die, mouth of the jacket when run through the die is square when it comes out.  The spring return allows the nest to move with the punch and jacket all the way up to the reducing die and then slides down the punch ensuring it stays true all the way through the stroke.  I am thinking about adding another one (30-7mm) to give me even more versatility.

Offline moosehead

Quality of work.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 06:17:16 PM »
Have you ever tried to get ahold of Dave.  Its a real pain.   I only deal with him for cannalure machines because Richard doesnt make one.
SAMMI member

Offline Donna

• Contributor
Quality of work.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 01:09:02 PM »
moosehead- :D

Are you saying it’s a real pain to get a hold of Dave or Richard? If you are talking about Richard being hard to get a hold of, that maybe, it would depend on what he has going on at his work (making swaging equipment) and at is home life. Richard is a one-person shop unlike Dave’s. One reason Richard would choose not to make a bullet cannelure machine is because the machine swages a groove into the bullet from only one side of the bullet. This could easily create a non-concentric bullet out of a concentric bullet plus it is reducing the jacket at the point of the cannelure far more than it should due to the jackets ability to spring back creating a loose core for slippage. These two factors is cause for concern for the accuracy of the bullet. From my conversations with Richard my consensus is that if there is any chance of a non-perfect bullet he will try to talk you out of it or will not do it altogether. But if you really want it I have found that he will do it for you at your own risk. He probably felt that Dave is making one so why reinvent something that is poor in design and theory. That would be my guess.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline moosehead

Quality of work.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 05:30:14 PM »
Hi donna

I can't help it...its in the blueprint to put a cannalure grove in.  I make the BIG STUFF.  .375 all the way up to .577 Tyran. .600 nitro and im in the process of making .700 NE.  I need the cannalure.  Ill tell you what the cannalure does to the bullet when you run it through.  Lets use the .416 as an example...after cannalure in grows in that spot to as much as .419.  You have to run it through another die to straighten it out.  There are some tricks to it but I can make it work.  OH...I was talking about Dave.  He's never in town.
SAMMI member

Offline Donna

• Contributor
Quality of work.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 12:02:52 AM »
No, I have not tried to contact Dave in a long time.

Donna