Author Topic: Federal Vital-Shock 165gr Nosler Partitions in 30-06  (Read 623 times)

Offline Spess

• Trade Count: (0)
Federal Vital-Shock 165gr Nosler Partitions in 30-06
« on: July 17, 2004, 08:06:52 PM »
Has anyone used these on deer or pig and how did they perform? Any trouble with inadequate expansion at close ranges? Would you recommend them?
Always know what's behind your target, it could save a life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Federal Vital-Shock 165gr Nosler Partitions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 12:27:34 AM »
Inadequate expansion with a Nosler Partition? You're joking right?  :?:

The front end of the Nosler PT is as soft as it gets to initiate expansion even at long range and low speeds. If any bullet will expand it is likely this one. Now if the range is close enough and the velocity high enough you might wipe off that entire front end back to the partition or at least most of it but the shank will remain intact and keep on plowing thru. That's the bullet all others are judged against. If anything will work it will.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Spess

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 06:31:31 AM »
Thanks, I have never used one of these premium bullets that is why I ask. I am looking for the perfect all around round for deer and black bear and I think that I am on the right track. Everyone keeps telling me to use Noslers, so I will take the advise.
Always know what's behind your target, it could save a life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 12:08:52 AM »
Nosler PTs are super fine bullets. BUT to be honest there is just no real need for them with the .30-06 or any of the other rounds on that case with the possible exception of the .25-06 for deer size game. For black bear maybe if you're in an area with lots of really huge ones.

Standard bullets like the Core-Loct, Hornady, Sierra, Speer, etc. work fine. I personally prefer heavy for caliber bullets and the 180 is about the only one I use in the '06. Have never shot game using it with any other. You can never go wrong using a PT and when going a bit lighter it is even better than the others perhaps but honestly if deer and black bear are all you are hunting it will save you money to use the standard type bullets and use a 180. You'll never have a bullet failure cost you game. If you put it where it belongs you'll have a dead critter to drag out.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 12:33:52 PM »
if it cant be droped with a Nosler Partition in a 06 you shouldent be hunting the beast  lol

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 11:36:34 AM »
Spess,

As I stated over in the Bear Forum the 30 caliber 165 gr. Partition is my bullet of choice in all my .30 caliber rifles.  I use them in my .30-06 for everything from little deer up to moose with great results.  Have no fear about that Federal load, it's a good one.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.