Author Topic: What rings to use???  (Read 577 times)

Offline mamerch

• Trade Count: (0)
What rings to use???
« on: July 18, 2004, 01:43:35 PM »
I've lurked here for years... spent some time on the Contender forum a while back... Last week we bought two 20 gauge ultra slug hunters.  I wanted to buy one for my kids to share and then my oldest one decided she wanted one of her own, so I have two just alike in the safe.  She bought a Bushnell 1.75x4 32mm scope for hers.  I've tried medium and high Weaver rings on it but the hammer is still hitting the eyepiece.  Other than going to extra-high Weavers, does anyone have any helpful suggestions???

mamerch

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
What rings to use???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 06:50:19 AM »
don't know if this helps but i have one in 12ga i put see though rings one it and have tons of room.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
What rings to use???
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 12:24:33 PM »
Leupold rifle rings #55870. Wal-Mart for about $17. I have these on my .223 Bull, 25-06, and on my Huntsman, no hammer spur on any of them. They are not as high as the "high" or the see-thru type but not as low as the others either. Just right for these guns.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
What rings to use???
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 05:51:01 AM »
I use weaver high single offset rings.  One ring is the normal weaver high ring, the other is offset back so you can mount the scope with the eye peice behind the hammer.  

A single offset pack has one offset and one normal, a double offset contains two offset rings.

The bushnell banner 1.5-4.5x32 scope on Weaver high single offset rings on my ultra slug 20 works really really well!

Also, I didn't like the weaver x-high rings (I have a set) because the scope was too high and too far forward when I'm wearing a heavy coat.  With high rings and the offset it's the right height and eye relief for me when wearing a coat.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
What rings to use???
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 08:13:04 AM »
I use Millett Angle-Loc High Rings...They have never given me a problem.

Are you using the offset hammer spur too?
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
What rings to use???
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 09:05:35 AM »
i use loupold riflemen *HIGH* aluminum ringss on all my guns and heres why.
1)there 16.99$$ from cabelas shooting catalog(21.99 w/ s&h)
2)there there high enough for big veriable rings. they clear just enough to fit a doller under w/ the hammer right under the veriable ring(i use a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 w/ the ''easy grip'' veriable rings. they still have room for a 50mm scope to fit
3) they'r the srongest rings i've ever used. there made from aluminum but they have the mounting strength of steel
4)the come with the strongest allen wrench i've ever used. i put the wrench in a tube thats about 5'' long(for turque) and cranked the ring all the whey down. the threads or the bolts did not strip even when all the whey tight :eek:
5) they are very light weight but still have the ''power of steel''
6) i've used tasco rings and they stripped before i barley had them tight :evil: .weaver rings dent cheaper(60.00$$$ and under) scope tubes
i love :-D  :-D these rings!!!!
later :D buckslayer
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline mamerch

Thanks for the help!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 03:32:00 AM »
:-D I went through the Weaver Quad Locks in low, medium and high and nothing worked.  We were still mangling the scope with the hammer spur.
Finally, I found a set of single offset high rings!  Eureka!  It works!  No more scratches.  Now to the range!  I've a 12 year old girl who is intent on taking her first deer this year!!!  Thanks for the suggestions!

mamerch

Offline 3s3k

What rings to use???
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 03:44:16 AM »
I have 20ga Ultra slug hunter with 4x32 simmons deer scope used Millett
medium high rings just clears hammer spur by 3/16th of inch! GL