Author Topic: Barrell repair - Need suggestions  (Read 486 times)

Offline Extremesolo

• Trade Count: (4)
Barrell repair - Need suggestions
« on: July 19, 2004, 07:03:40 AM »
I have an old topper 12 gague which belonged to my grandfather and the stud that the forearm mounts to has broken off of the barrell.  What is the best way to fix this?  I do not really hunt with it but I would like to be able to if I wanted.  I tried epoxy and it seemed to work but it too broke with the recoil of the first shot.  Any suggestions are appreciated.   Thanks,  Andrew
Stop telling God how big your problems are, and start telling your problems how big your God is!

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 10:17:50 AM »
Well if it was me I'd take it to a good gunsmith and have him solder it back on.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 04:14:51 PM »
My son had the same problem and I put a couple wraps of electrical tape on "temporarily" that stayed on for a couple years. I tryed the epoxy thing myself with similar results. Dave is right take it to a smith and get it fixed right.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 07:34:37 AM »
You got a drill press with a table vise?

Clamp the barrel in the padded vise. Chuck a length of screw that fits the stud, 1/4"x20, I think. Screw the stud onto the screw and adjust things so that the stud comes down exactly where it broke off. Without moving anything, clean and flux the barrel and the stud. Slide a short length of something like Brownell's Hi-Force 44 up into the stud, bring down the quill to press the stud in place, and hang a weight on the press arm to keep it there. Then all you need to do is heat until you see solder flow.

You have to do the setup before you do the cleanup so you can see just where the stud fits. If you can get a current stud, do the setup with the old stud, and then replace the old stud with the new one on the screw. The new studs have a base to give more soldering area because the old ones were real bad about breaking off.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.