Author Topic: Building a target backdrop  (Read 957 times)

Offline RDavidP

• Trade Count: (0)
Building a target backdrop
« on: July 19, 2004, 04:34:17 PM »
I have some land I can safely shot on, i.e. no houses to worry about hitting, no people who may inadvertently be walking behind the target, unless they are trespassing.  I shoot a 22LR, Marlin 336C 30-30, and a .44 Caliber Traditions 1851 Colt Navy Revolver(black powder).  What should I make my back drop from, how big should it be, and how thick should the material be?  Where I used to shot at, I had a nice sand hill as a back drop, now I just have open area.  Thanks for any info.

David

Offline bilesteve

No response
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 06:26:40 AM »
You didn't get much of a response and certainly I am no help, but I saw a picture of a back stop made from railroad ties in a magazine from Oshman's. Seems like you could get sand bags, fill them up and put them behind, in front or in between stacks of railroad ties.

If you have an Oshman's Sporting Goods in your area, go to the hunting section and pick up one of their freebie shooting magazines and find that ad that I mentioned. Good luck.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 09:22:50 AM »
I suggest using dirt. Have a dozer push up some for you or have trucks haul it in. My 100 yard berm is about 20' high and at the base where my bullets impact at least 30'-40' thick. Next time I have a dozer out I'll make it even bigger. Each time I have a dozer out I have more dirt pushed up back there. My land isn't flat and I have plenty of dirt to move.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:00:20 PM »
Railroad ties need something over them. Sometimes bullets can hit other bullets embedded in them and fly back out. I got hit in the leg by a spent .45 ACP bullet once shooting into railroad ties. That was a nasty bruise that I carried around for at least a month.

Old tires stacked up (I'd avoid steel belted ones) over a post and dirt packed inside will make a good berm. Stagger the stacks in two rows. You'll have to find somebody in the tire business. Over time, you'll probably still have some spent bullets flying out at you. Particularly the low velocity cast or FMJ pistol bullets.

If you don't have the dirt like Graybeard, perhaps you can have somebody haul some for berms. Sometimes people are looking for places to dispose of dirt. Just don't get the backfill that is more cement than dirt.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:56:09 AM »
the range I shoot at took and dug a wide trench ( about 30') and about 10 feet deep and then Put 6x6 poles up and accost the range about every 10 yards this is to keep any bullets from going out of the pit.