Author Topic: who hunts with a sluggun/shot gun???  (Read 2121 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
who hunts with a sluggun/shot gun???
« on: July 20, 2004, 09:44:50 AM »
who hunts with a shot gun w/ buckshot or a slug gun??
i have a NEF pardner 12 .ga smooth bore that is leathel w/ federal 3''  ''0'' buckshot out to 40 yds. i want to try the new rem hevi-shot buckshot. this gun is a great, light stalking/driving gun :eek: . i have a H&R ultra slug hunter 920 20 .ga barrel for my ''buckslayi'n'' 12 .ga. i shoot win partition gold 260 gr sabots. i'ts accurate out to 160-175 yds and still has the power out to 200 yds :eek:  :eek: (900 ft-lbs) to take a deer. i have a bushnell elite 3200     3-9x40 scope on the slug gun. it's a bit more power than a slug gun needs but it's great for those 150-160 shots. the onley thing i've changed on the combo is put a synthetic Choate stock on it. i can't wait to try the remington ''ultra bonded'' 260 gr sabot in the ultra hunter. my 100 yds groups are between 1''-2'', 150 yds 5-6'' :P
later :D buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 09:49:31 AM »
Everyone in NJ, Southeast PA and Pittsburg.

Offline C.J

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 11:03:25 AM »
i hunt deer in ontario with a winchester 1300 12 ga fully rifled deer gun i also have just put a 3200 1.5-4.5 firefly on it i been playing with different slugs and am leaning toward the super x bri sabots getting about 2.5" groups at 100 yds thats probably as far as ill shoot with it maybe 125yds

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 11:46:10 AM »
There is a handful of shotgun only towns here in southern NH.  So thats what me and my buddy started with.  Mine was just a stock 870 Express with 28" Vent rib smoothbore.  I recently bought a Hastings full rifled bbl with scope mount and put a BSA 1.5-4.5 Catseye on.  This will be by Unit M slayer (the shotgun only unit.)  But, alas, my regular tag will now (at least hopefuly) be filled by my T/C Encore.  But I sure do love that 870 of mine....
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 02:30:33 PM »
Delaware is a Shotgun only State. I use a Remington 1100 with a canleaver scope mount with Remington copper solids. Last year you could start using a Shiloh Sharps  with black powder paper patch bullets. I have a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70. I switch between the two. :)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 04:22:04 AM »
I hunt with a shotgun in NJ and SE PA at times.  I actually prefer to use a ML in those areas but do use a shotgun once in a while.  I usually shoot a Browning BPS or a mossberg w/slug barrel.  This year I bought a H&R 20 ga Ultra slug hunter barrel I will probably use that this fall.  It shoots the nosler partitions and win platnum tips pretty good, I just don't like the idea of paying $2.50 a pop to shoot them.

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 07:24:07 AM »
If you want to hunt in SE Wisconsin you will carry a slugger. I normally carry my trusty Mossberg but decided to get a slug barrel for my Win 1300. I prefer Foster slugs as most shots are close and these are a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot at the range. While looking for the barrel, I came across a Rem Express combo with slug and shot barrels at a price that I could pass up, so I got it. I still want to get a slug barrel for the 1300 so I still got an excuse to peruse the local gun stores.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 03:23:33 AM »
I live in SE PA and this is shotgun country. I have 2 mossberg's with the fully rifled bbl in 20ga nd 12ga. Using the Barnes X slugs, I get outstanding accuracy for a slug gun. Both will consistently give under 2 inch groups at 100yards using a 1-4 power scope. Actually the 20ga is a bit better than that.  Both are the Trophy Slugster set ups and came with the shot gun bbl and screw in chokes. These are great ecomomical and very easy the change the bbl as the scope mounts cantilever style right on the slug bbl.Not bad at all.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 05:54:07 AM »
On MCAS Cherry Point it is shotgun only.  I use my M870 Express with a 20" rifle sighted/smooth bore barrel and Remington Slugger rifled slugs.  I killed one deer with it and my buddy killed another with it last fall.  Within 60 yards, its quite accurate.  Sixty yards will cover most situations here in the woods of eastern NC, especially before the foilage drops.

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 07:30:51 AM »
MA is a shotgun-only state. I currently use a Remington 870, 20-gauge with a fully rifled barrel. I have a Leupold Vari-X II 1 – 4x scope on it and I always keep it on the 1x setting. The gun is very accurate from the bench out to 100 yards. I’ve shot 3 small bucks with it; 2 spikes and a 6-point and it performed quite well. I had the same scope on my old 12 gauge 870 before swapping to the 20. The 12 was a smoothbore and that was pretty accurate as well when using the right ammo. Buckshot? Well, never in my 20 but even in my 12 I’d only consider it for home-protection. I’ve heard too many tracking experiences following buckshot deer to know I’d never use it myself.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline Dragon31

• Avid Poster
12 ga slug gun
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 06:40:30 AM »
In Indiana I use a Savage 12 ga, fully rifled, 210F bolt action slug gun toped with Vari X III and firing Winchester Supremes or an Encore 20 ga, fully rifled barrel, topped with the VX II and firing Winchester slugs.  I've killed numerous deer with both guns.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 06:58:42 PM »
In New York State most of the "southern zone" is shotgun only. You can use a rifle in the Cat Skills and I think there is an area east of Albany that you can also use a rifle, but I'm not sure! I had a Remington 870 pump with a 20 inch rifled barrel and a 1.5 power Tasco scope on it. Right now I don't have a shotgun set up for deer hunting. For the most part I only hunt in the "northern zone" which is rifle and/or shotgun. I have an Ithaca model 37 that I'm thinking about putting a Hastings fully rifled barrel and a Leupold 2-7x33 shotgun scope on it, or another Remington 870 set up the same way. Both in 12 gauge.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline JohnDY

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 12:42:02 AM »
Most of Maryland is shotgun with slugs only although in parts of the state you can use a rifle or a shotgun and buckshot.  I hunt in both areas and have been using a 12g H&R UltraSlugger with a 1-4x scope. It has all the range I need and has plently of knock power.  I also have an 870 with the smooth bore slug barrel for hunting in heavy cover.
JohnDY

Offline Paparock

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 04:48:21 PM »
Deleted by Paparock

Offline cowpoke

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 02:55:30 PM »
For some of the locations I hunt I use a shotgun, some because the law says I must and others because it's the best choice for the location.  I do have a deer rifle too and use it where appropriate.

Mine happens to be an 870 with a 20" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights on it.  

It likes Winchester, Federal and Remington foster type slugs very well.  I have considered getting a full rifled barrel for it to see what it would do with sabot type slugs, but haven't got around to doing that yet.

Offline dicaela

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 10:20:34 AM »
As mentioned the Southern Zone in NYS is mostly shotgun country, and thats where I hunt, so my 870 in 20ga with Remington high velocity rifled slugs(nothing fancy there)does the job. Now if I hunt in the county I live in, which is 10 minutes from where I go to hunt, and also in the southern zone, I can use a high powered rifle.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 02:20:43 AM »
Hunting in a S/G only zone near the tip of Michigan's Thumb.  Have had good success using a low powered scoped 870 w/rifled slug barrel and Copper Solids.  But I just traded the 870 in last week for a 12 ga. H&R Deluxe Ultra Slug Hunter when I went to pick up my son's new 20 ga. USH youth model.  Couldn't avoid the temptation!  Topped mine off with a 2x7 Leupold and his with a 1.5x4.5 Bushnell.  Can't wait to see how they do on the range and in the field.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline GLC

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 12:42:02 PM »
I hunt SE PA shotgun area.  I use a Marlin Model 512 Slugmaster bolt-action shotgun with a Nikon 2X7 Pro-staff scope.  I like the Remington Copper solids.  Have taken many deer with them.  They act like they've been hit with a hammer and drop on the spot.   Accuracy runs 2-3 inches at 100 yards.

I am happy with the Marlin but am looking at the H&R Ultra Slug Hunters because of their reputation for accuracy.  Also looking at the 870 Slug Gun with the heavy barrel.  

I have a Mossberg 835 cantilever/rifled barrel which is just okay in the accuracy department but nothing special.  

Also just bought a T/C Omega which is very accurate with Hornady Shockwave sabots.  I'm looking forward to trying that out this year on a deer in the early season.
Marlin Firearms- Only the best leverguns

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 09:34:35 AM »
over here in pissbugh pa lol
i used to use a marlin 50dlgl with lightfields
thats a bolt action goose gun 2 shot clip worked damm good but heavy
then went to a 11-87 canileaver with the remington slugers with a red dot on top isent worth spending 14$ a box for slugs when i cant take a shot over 40 yards
now im on an inline with a 3-9x32 scope on it an shoots a half dolar at 100 yards for 150 out the door thats good enough for me around here

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2005, 05:29:06 AM »
I do...I use a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 12GA...This baby can shoot...It is a bit heavy but it is worth it.  It likes to digest Winchester Partition Gold sabots unfortunately...They are pricey but I am not out target shooting with this beast.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline dicaela

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 10:55:41 AM »
I'm in the southern zone in NY as well and where I hunt its a shotgun only county. I've got a 20g Rem pump that fires Rem high velocity rifled slugs and does it pretty well. My pop has a Mossberg 20 that he uses. Same ammo. Just wait for it to go on sale and stock up.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 11:18:26 AM »
I have one of the Mossberg Crown Grade 835 Slugsters. It has a fully rifle 24" ported barrel and is presently wearing a 4x Leupold. It's favorite load is the 3" Winchester BRI hour glass shaped sabot slugs. Recoil isn't that bad and accuracy is excellent.
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline xs pro-comp

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 08:10:33 AM »
Browning A-Bolt 12ga. with a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 scope. I use to hunt with this gun but slugs have gotten to expensive so I'll be using my m/l instead this year. $3.00 a slug is to much. I may try loading my own sobot slugs for next year.