Author Topic: Belling the Case  (Read 595 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Belling the Case
« on: July 20, 2004, 04:36:16 PM »
Ok guys with my 45/70 dies (Lee)  it is not a problem as the dies are designed to bell the case for cast loads. What about my bottle neck loads like 30/30/ 308/ 8mm ect do I have to buy M dies for all of them or is there a other solution? Speed is not a issue as I am using a Lee  hand press for all my loading I like the better "feel" I get with it. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Belling the Case
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 04:51:27 PM »
Some guys use any thing even a pair of needle nose pliers to bell the case.Maybe I'm to rich or some thing ,but I like a nice even bell. The kind I get with the "M" die. I have used an expander from a larger cartridge on occasion though!  jh

Offline Leftoverdj

Belling the Case
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 06:08:24 PM »
Bunch of answers, JH.

Lee makes something called the "Universal Expander Die". It's a belling die, not an expander, but it's pretty close to universal and does a nice job. Costs about $10.

I do my .30 cal stuff with an adapter kit Lyman makes to mount a powder measure. The hollow expander for .32 pistols is just right for .311-.312 cast. You probably do the same thing with a Lee pistol .32 expander die. these let you bell and charge in one step. It's a little tricky getting those high enough for some rifle cases, though.

I got by for years with a heavy center punch and a .50 BMG bullet. Just make sure whatever you have handy with a taper on it is straight up and down when you tap it, and you'll be OK.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline jh45gun

Belling the Case
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 07:33:04 PM »
Will check out that Lee die thanks!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Belling the Case
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 02:37:58 AM »
I second the Lee die. I have been using one now for a few months, and it really does work well and is cheap. Kind of fussy to change calibers on, but it still takes less than 5 minutes to set it up for pretty much anything.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
Dont need anything that expensive
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 11:39:10 AM »
To bell the mouth of my reduced load rifle cast bullet loads, I use a homemade steel center punch that has a nice taper to it.  It was made of 1 inche round stock and tapers down to a point.  The handle is 1 inch in diameter.    

It really doesn't take much of a case mouth flare to accomodate a lead cast bullet.  I have used it mostly on 7.62x54 R russian, but also on 30-30 and an ocasional 30-06.  Again, it is really pretty easy to use.  As such I wouldn't consider spending money on a special die.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Belling the Case
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 05:18:56 PM »
I bought an RCBS flaring die for my .30 cal. cast loads.  I ain't too fond of Lyman products.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I sure like my Lyman M dies
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 10:05:59 PM »
I sure like my Lyman M dies.  I feel like I put less wear on the case mouths and I like how the bullets slip in.  I just wish they'd make one for the  348 win. I use an RCBS expander for it and I don't like it as much.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA