Author Topic: Question on loading process  (Read 636 times)

Offline RDavidP

• Trade Count: (0)
Question on loading process
« on: July 23, 2004, 01:30:06 PM »
I shoot a Traditions .44 1851 Colt Navy Revolver and am very new to this.  Before the first time you shoot, you clean the gun.  Right before you load to shoot, the instructions say put on caps and shoot the gun cap only to make sure nipple is clear.  You can now load your gun.  My question is, do I need to shoot the pistol cap only right at the beginning of each shooting session?

Thanks,
David

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 02:02:13 PM »
Yes that is the procedure. Fire caps only on each cyclinder to clear nipples and dry out chambers and then load 'em up and cap and you have a weapon that is ready to fire.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Shorty

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 01:12:43 PM »
:)
Yeah, yeah, I know that this is common practice, but you know what?  I've never done that!  You see, I'm one cheap/ poor SOB, and shootin' caps off with no load is costing me money!  What I do is blow through the nipples and look for daylight.  If they look clear, I load 'em up!  I've never had a missfire, and I once had a revolver loaded for three years that fired all chambers!   8)   OK, the secret is; don't gunk up the chambers with a lot of oil before putting it away.   :wink:

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 03:01:30 PM »
Yep- I be with Shorty on this one.  b4 I put the toys away after cleaning- I blow all the Balistol out of the chambers & around the nipp area with my air compresser.  Then put bore butter on the cylinder pin, and put together.  I just load them up right b4 I shoot and each time after I get done with the stage.   Never had a misfire so far.   Love my big compressor. :-)
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 04:37:54 PM »
Shorty's post got me thinking. I can't remember a missfire with my any of my revolvers, but I've had them with every other percussion gun I own, rifles and pistols. Oil and fouling that was missed during cleaning just doesn't collect in the nipples on a revolver, like it will in a single shot's drum. Rifles are even worse when stored muzzle up, everyting runs into the breech. I never popped caps on my revolvers because I was to cheap to waste six of them, but I have had to pop 2 or 3 to get a single shot pistol clear.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 09:20:37 PM »
You know?...l got to wondering why I never thought of loading up the night before a match.  After all these years you'd think...... :lol:  I don't have a compressor, but do have canned air. :wink:  

Thanks Shorty and CC. :-D   So you can teach an old grouch new tricks.  :lol:
Singing Bear

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 04:43:05 AM »
When I first get to the range, I fire two caps on each nipple just to ensure that no oil, crud or fouling are in the nipple channel or chamber.
Then I load the revolver.
I don't snap caps on it each time, before I load, but only at the beginning. The chamber pressure of firing also flows back out of the nipple and this keeps the nipple channel clear.
Canned air sounds like a good idea. However, I doubt it will dry a chamber as handily as firing caps.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."