Author Topic: best nipple/cap combination?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
best nipple/cap combination?
« on: July 25, 2004, 04:45:56 AM »
I shoot open top colt clones and recently I've been having trouble with caps falling off, not fireing till the second or third hit, ect.

I normilaly use factory nipples and CCI #11 caps and never had a real big problem till recently.  I even ordered a set of Treso(Spelling?) nipples and that didn't help, the caps would some times fire, sometimes not till the second go round.  I've got a 60' army that is over 10 years old with a couple thousand rounds through it and the factory nipples are still good(bout ready for replacement though, flame hole is getting big)  Latly the factory nippls seem very soft and not uniformed size.  Or maybe CCI caps have gone down in quality?

I'm shooting Pieta and Ubertia 36's and 44's and hope to get a set of Whitneyville dragoons someday.

What is the best combo?  I'd like to stick with CCI as I can get them at the local gunshop anytime, but if I have to order them I will.  I have to order the holy black anyway.

Thanks,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 07:13:35 AM »
I use Remington #11 caps on all my revolvers, Uberti and 2nd generation Colt alike. I have no problems with them falling off or not seating. In the past I've used CCIs with the same good results. The Colt nipples are either original or factory replacement as are the Ubertis. I'm not sure how long they lasted, but it was a very long time.
  I'd recommend quality replacments as the price difference is small and the performance difference is huge.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 09:53:48 AM »
This is what I have done with all my C&B toys.  13 at last count
  Put Treso nipps on every one.
  On each gun- check the distance between the hammer face and nipp.
       Had to take some off the hammer face on the 61's (Pietta) cause they hit the nipp.   The 60's (Uberti)  were fine.  The 51's (Pietta) I had to add a small shim (small copper wire) to bring them out a tad.  Ya don't want the hammer face to touch the nipp when fired, just miss by a "C" hair.
   I use only Rem #11  They fit all the Treso nipps and they go first time every time.  I use a push stick made of deer horn to seat the cap snug.  Have had only 1 cap jamb & was my fault- interrupted while cap'n & missed 1 cap being pushed on.
So far this has been working- Have shot nothing but C&B this yr. 2 clubs @ 7 matches ea x 2 x 80 rnds ea. = Approx 1100 rnds +-
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 12:14:05 PM »
If your 60 is as old as you say, you probably have the original main spring in it and it could be too soft by now, allowing for light hammer strikes on the caps.  Try a new main spring.  You need a good, authoritative hammerfall to light off those caps on the first go'round.

If that ain't it, your caps are probably too small and can't really help you much on that.  I've had good luck with CCI #11's on all my guns with Treso's.  CCI's are the easiest to find, here, so I have no choice in the matter.
Singing Bear

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 09:12:21 PM »
Thanks I'll give Treso anouther try and see if that helps.  Walmart caries Remington #11 caps, but only during season so if I have to and they are what works out I'll order a larger quantity of them.

We'll see how it goes and if I can get a couple cap and balls competition ready.

Will
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 04:10:01 AM »
#11's gave me trouble too, so I switched to Remington #10 and had no further trouble.

Offline Flint

caps
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 06:37:41 PM »
Treso nippples are perfect a fit to Remington #10 caps.  Number 11s are too large.  From what others have said, and I also test fit to check, a CCI #10 is too small, and their #11 is also too large.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 11:30:36 AM »
Remington Number 10s have been a perfect fit on every thing from a lyman plains pistol to the full range of colts and remington.  They are absolutely necessary for good function on my Uberti colt pocket model replica.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 06:23:06 PM »
I got the Treso nipples in and they work great, I couldnt' find Remington #10's, but #11's work great.  I wouldn't have a problem with the CCI's except that I use a snail capper and would have to pinch them.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Flint

caps
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 08:04:11 PM »
That is strange, as CCI caps are smaller than Remingtons....

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 09:35:00 PM »
I don't know Flint, the CCI #10's I got were bigger than the Remington #11's and were longer also. :?
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 01:56:14 AM »
I had a problem with the Remmintons about a year ago.  They were all of a sudden longer than any before.  I ruined a snail capper trying to get them out.  I have since gone back to CCI and am using a leather capper.  I traced a Star of David pattern on some 10 oz. leather, then uniformly squared the ends of each point.  Put a hole near the end and a big hole in the middle.  I took a knife and cut from the hole to the end of the leather.  Each one holds six caps securely and works well for both colt and Remmington.  I had enough scrap to cut 10 of these leather cappers.   Two weekends ago, when I did my weekend in the country, I put all ten on a string on my belt and could shot sixty with no problem.  In fact, I didn't lose any caps while capping and they loaded quicker than an straight line or snail.  I guess sometimes the old ways are the best.

Offline Flint

caps
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 06:40:39 AM »
Will, that is very strange.  CCI caps have for many years been both smaller per size, and shorter than Remingtons.  In fact, Remingtons have recently been revised to being even longer than they were, causing them to no longer fit some cappers.  Any nipple a Remington #10 is a slip fit on, a CCI is a hard press fit.  If a Remington # 10 was too tight and #11 was too loose, a CCI #11 would fit right.  Unless CCI or Remington has recently changed all their sizing, or mispackaged the caps, I am at a loss to explain your fit.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 07:17:00 AM »
If anyone is interested, I posted the patterns I used to make leather cappers in the leather working forum.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2004, 11:38:20 AM »
I don't know, maybe they miss marked the tins, but it might explain why I'm having cap trouble all of the sudden.  Never had a problem with CCI #11's before, other than the ocasional fragment in the action.  This has been happening the last 6 months or less.  Maybe I just got a bad batch.  I've only recently tried Remington and they are so much shorter than the CCI's that on ocasion one will fall over sideways in the capper, CCI's won't.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Boge

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 06:42:37 PM »
I'll 2nd what Flint said as I never had luck with CCI caps. Their #11's literally have to be pounded on to function on my Uberti & Pietta. Their #10's are miniscule! The same for RWS 1075's. The Remington #10's funtion fantastic for me. I happen to have three generation of Remington caps to compare and they are the same diameter exactly but the new ones seem a hair longer but that works out fine for me. The RWS seem to be the hottest cap but I've never had a Remmie let me down yet (knock on wood!).  :wink: