Author Topic: Old Picture  (Read 1084 times)

Offline SLEEPY BEEPER

• Trade Count: (0)
Old Picture
« on: July 26, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »
I took this picture of a picture behind glass at a museum. Does anybody out there now if the mortar ball in the front would have been fired with that base on it? It looks the right size. Or was it just to keep the ball from rolling around on deck? Also, was there a special name for the fancy ball tongs in front?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Old Picture
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 10:08:26 AM »
That I think is just a ball rack for holding the ball while the fuse was set. It doesn't appear to be a sabot as there doesn't appear to be a way to attach the two together.

Cannons did use a sabot, I don't think mortars did.

Offline michbob

• Avid Poster
Old Picture
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 03:08:45 PM »
Excellent picture!  Sometime during the Civil War, I assume.  I like the base of the mortar;  looks like it swivels a full 360 degrees.

A guess on my part, but in a smooth-bore mortar, wouldn't the "base" which the ball is setting on be attached so as to form a gas seal?  I'd think that in such a short barrel, without something acting as a "wad", there would be a lot of gas blow-by.  Me not do dem backpowder stuff much.

Sincerely,
Michbob

PS:  Useless piece of trivia:  one masted ship with siege mortar:  a "bomb ketch".

Offline Double D

Old Picture
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 04:24:29 PM »
Sealing the bore on a blackpowder mortar or cannon is something you don't want to do.  Pressures go way up fast in cannons. Can you explosion.

Here's what a 6 pounder shot with sabot looks like

Here's one for a 12 pound Mtn Howitzer.

The sabots are smaller than the shell. I only see sabots used on shell and not on shot.

I don't see any sabot rounds listed for  Mortar.

From PBO Ammo

I'll stick with my SWAG and still say that is holder for setting the fuze on a mortar shell.  Especially needed on a ship or boat

Offline SLEEPY BEEPER

details
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 07:31:43 AM »
Thanks for the info on the bomb ketch. I found the turntable interesting also. I've never heard of one before. They always talked about pulling in and letting out anchor chain. To change aim. I wonder if they would have bolted the gun down to kep it centered on the turntable? If so, it would have to be built tough.

Offline Double D

Old Picture
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 07:45:19 AM »
I wonder if the base and turntable are built as a unit.

Offline michbob

• Avid Poster
Old Picture
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 02:18:19 PM »
Like I said, BP isn't my area. :)

Anyhow, the bomb ketch had the mortar set up so they could fire forward or to either beam.  I don't know how they locked the piece on a certain bearing, and I'm sure some were aimed by orienting the ship.  They were used from before the Revolution (by the Brits, amongst others) until true revolving turrets were developed.  Which they are, kind of....

Think about the recoil, during sustained firing, all focused on the same spot on the wooden deck.  "Captain, the mortar fell through the deck..."

Sincerely,
Michbob