Author Topic: Hunting lease do's and don'ts?  (Read 543 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hunting lease do's and don'ts?
« on: July 27, 2004, 08:51:31 AM »
I have never been on a lease before and I want to know the the do's and don'ts.  It is 195 acres with two other guys on it with me.  I know them both but have never hunted with them.  Thanks oktx.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 10:51:16 AM »
the first and most important piece of advice:  get together with the other two guys and lay out the rules ahead of time.  most arguments develop over guests, hunting methods, over harvesting, etc... make sure everyone is on the same page before anything else is done.

Offline vernonp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 02:55:00 PM »
Everything dukkiller said is right on. Also take good care of the land, never leave trash around. Any little improvement you can make on the place, like mending a fence or gate will be appreciated by the land owner I'm sure. Now days you kind of have to go the extra mile if you are going to keep the lease.  Good luck  Vernonp

Offline crazyjjk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 02:44:08 AM »
Quote from: vernonp
Everything dukkiller said is right on. Also take good care of the land, never leave trash around. Any little improvement you can make on the place, like mending a fence or gate will be appreciated by the land owner I'm sure. Now days you kind of have to go the extra mile if you are going to keep the lease.  Good luck  Vernonp

On fixing up things like mending fences and gates that is great. On the other hand though I have seen the other side of the fence. Here is where the lessee goes through great measures with the owners permission to improve the deer hunting (food plots, planting apple and oak trees, harvesting only mature bucks, ect). Taking the time to make it an exceptional deer hunting area. Only to have the owner end the lease and lease his prime hunting area to others for a great deal more money. I guess what I am saying is get a good working relationship and a gut feeling about the owner of the lease also.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:41:42 PM »
get with the other people and learn where they will be hunting and parking.

nothing worse then you setting up in your stand then have a guy park with in sight of you.

The land I hunt on (as a guest) is divided into 3 parts the land owner only hunts geese and ducks so he has the fields by the river About 1/2 mile away, his nepheu has 1/2 of the main farm and my friend and I have the other 1/2. the main farm is divided by a power line right- of- way so we know the boundrys. my friend and I scout out areas then mark then off in collored ribbons, I use orange or a silver and orange ahd he uses pink. we normaly clame about 3-4 spots then name them. we both ride in together  and talk about the spot we plain to hunt 99% of the time we are no place close and the other 1% of the time he gets the winning vote.

crazyjjk: I agree with him on this
Taking the time to make it an exceptional deer hunting area. Only to have the owner end the lease and lease his prime hunting area to others for a great deal more money. I guess what I am saying is get a good working relationship and a gut feeling about the owner of the lease also

If i was going to do anything like this I would have a long term contract with the land owner. and if the land owner does not renew the contract I will put the land back in the same condition I found it or as close as I could.