Author Topic: An age old secret for drawing Deer to you.  (Read 2167 times)

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
An age old secret for drawing Deer to you.
« on: July 27, 2004, 12:36:15 PM »
I don't know if anyone has or does this anymore but it works better than anything I have ever Seen.

Get a big can of pepermints(the kind that melt in your mouth) and crush em all up in the can. Go out in the woods close to where you hunt and pour it in a dead hollow stump...Deer love it.

Take a jar of peanutbutter and either use a polebarn nail or bungee straps(depending on public or private land) and attach it to the tree about waste high or so(when using straps on public land sometimes a makeshift base is required.)...Deer love it.

Good Luck this Season to all.
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline vernonp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 03:00:27 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will definately give it a try. I have more confidence in the natural attractants like that than the stuff in a bottle. I know how much the deer like peanuts so it makes sence.  Thank you vernonp

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 06:05:55 PM »
Your welcome. I hope it works for you as good as it has for my family and friends in the past...one thing else to consider is to either pour water over the peppermint or return and dump a lot in the stump because the deer may eat all the pepermint if left dry but once the earth drinks it up the deer will actually paw the stump down...I usually do it right before a good storm.
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline fffffg

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 04:21:05 AM »
some states like mine doesnt alow feeding of deer for hunting purposes.. i suppose scents that match this potion could be used.. but becouse your system has bulk to it , it could result in a fine, ticket, or loss of hunting privlages if a warden sees or heres of it. good luck dave.
montana!, home of the wolf,  deer,mtn goats,sheep, mountain lions, elk, moose and griz...

Offline flintlock

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 05:13:14 AM »
Are you talking about the hard red and white pepermints??? Or the softer yellow, green or white butter mints that melt in your mouth??? I want to try...Thanks...flintlock

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 10:49:59 AM »
I would bet that you can buy peppermint in liquid form just as you can buy vanilla in liquid form.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 11:07:47 AM »
I know you can buy peppermint extract.  I don't know if you can get it in anything other than the small glass bottles though.

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 11:47:40 AM »
I got this one out of a tracking book.......Find an old stump and keep dumping apple juice on it.  The author of the book says he has seen stumps treated this way that were eaten down to the stump by everything from squirrels up to bears and everything in between.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 12:02:43 PM »
I have never triied pepermint extract and the reason is that it is concentrated and I dont know the correct mixture of water and suger(please try and let me know), but I have triied the little hard round kind, they don't work as good, although they do work...The pepermint I recommend is the large round soft stick red$white variety, all I can say is they melt in your mouth(when you suck on them they shrink)...they come in either round packs or tin cans, Next time I go to the store I will write down the name brands...I have got them at wal-mart, the dollar store, Cracker Barell, drug stores,various grocery stores,etc.

Apple juice works great. Every time I go hunting I take apple juice with me, works even better if you have a place to hunt with wild apples growing here and there, I have also planted apple trees in areas I frequent(with landowners permission) works great around natural "funnels"

Even if its illegal to bait deer in your area, it is not illegal to plant fruit trees or herbs. natural food sources are way better to be putting out on/in or Earth, plus just think about snagging yourself a good apple that you planted while out scouting  :-)

Offline Robert

I have just about been attacked by deer....
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 12:50:39 PM »
..when eating apples.....it ain't against the law to eat apples when you are hunting.
....make it count

Offline buckbeast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 01:34:10 PM »
I've heard oldtimers talk of using vanilla extract as a deer lure. I've never tried it myself.

Buck
Just a country boy from the mountains of PA

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 01:38:28 PM »
sounds like a good way to draw bears.  we use peanut butter to draw bears up here.  we put it high on the tree in front of a camera to get a good idea of how big they are.

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 01:40:50 PM »
Vanilla extact works too, It has just been my experience that pepermint works best....

You can also fill a pantyhose with salt and hang it in a tree and everytime it rains it will allow the salt to run to the ground, the deer will paw a spot big as you can imagine, but peppermint, peanutbutter, and applejuice just work better for me...

I posted this in the Deer-hunting section but for the record it WILL draw all manner of wild animals and even some domesticated ones, coyotes for one will flock to it  sometimes...just try to give your dog a peppermint sometime, mine loves em...If you have horses its a mighty fine treat for them too

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 02:02:28 PM »
Is this the candy you are talking about???

[/url][/img]

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 05:51:04 PM »
http://www.candywarehouse.com/softmintsticks.html

Yes, King Leo Brand will work and yes that is the type but there are cheaper brands available, I have bought King Leo at the local drugstore when I was in a hurry and didnt have time to go anywhere else...I have not been to the store yet but when I do I will be sure to find more brand names but the soft mint stick variety is the right ones....

Rickyp...I sent you an Email.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 06:19:12 PM »
I have heard of all these things to attach deer'but as one poster said about getting caught.Myself I use 50# bags of non-idonized salt for the co-op.I pour the whole bag into old tree stumps in several areas.The deer will tear the ground up after it soaks into the ground.Of course it helps for it to rain a fair amount when you do this :lol: .Anyway,it's not illegal to hunt over "white" salt,because it is found in natural.Now the "brown" type with all the minerals,ect.. in it.well that's a horse of a different color.Even thought the brown is better for the deer,you can't hunt over it.Well,at least not in Alabama......................looking for Oct.15..........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"