Author Topic: Dagnabbit Double D!  (Read 784 times)

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Dagnabbit Double D!
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:06:50 PM »
Just get myself weaned off of Martinis and Sniders and such and here you are over here at Greybeards tempting me with cannons. Dang it and shoot! Ordered "The More Complete Cannoneer" from Dixie yesterday and now I am trying to figure how a guy on a spud-gun budget can afford a mountain howitzer, or at least a mortar. Greetings from the Rogue Valley!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Dagnabbit Double D!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 12:42:30 AM »
You've laid down the gauntlet.  How to go BIG bore on a spud-gun budget!  (and keep it safe).

The key is simplicity - mortars are the easiest to make.

Designing a 'kit' is an option.  Scale could also bring the cost down.

Hmmmmmmm.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Dagnabbit Double D!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 04:04:27 AM »
Answer...Beercan mortar. Bill drop me an email with your address and I will send you some plans.  My first cannon was built from materials scrounged from the Bear Creek Valley...Roxy Ann has heard the throaty roar from the discharge of my big gun!  (that ought to get the censors attention!)

I can understand you giving up Sniders, but never Martini's, the shooting kind anyway.

Offline SLEEPY BEEPER

• Trade Count: (0)
First big gun
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 07:21:07 AM »
I second the mortar for a first gun. But look around. Talk to friends. Things to look for are, steel bar stubs, botche balls, seamless tubes, hydraulic cylinders, hi pressure tanks and such. If you find the right combination, you can build something for very little money. If you go to a cannon shoot. You will see 5 mortars for every howitzer. There are reasons for this. Including cost, time and transportation. Hang in there and enjoy the build. It's part of the fun.

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Dagnabbit Double D!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 10:21:15 AM »
DoubleD: Messaged you with my e-mail. Thanks for offering plans. I can't wait to get this project started.