Author Topic: Mountain Lion(s) At Point Cabrillo...  (Read 600 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Mountain Lion(s) At Point Cabrillo...
« on: July 29, 2004, 11:33:34 AM »
Last night I talked to the wife over the phone about the trip that they(her, our daughter and grandkids) took to Point Cabrillo Light House over by Mendocino.  They saw the posted posters warning visitors about Mountain Lions but didn't think they meant they were in the park there.  Wrong, they saw the fresh tracks of a Mountain Lions not far from the light house itself.  Wife had her M19 S&W .357 with her(she is licensed to carry) but they never saw the lion that made the tracks.  Point Cabrillo is one of our favorite places to visit whenever we are over on the coast but this is the first time we ever knew there were lions in that area.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline OregonBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
Mountain Lion(s) At Point Cabrillo...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 08:57:17 AM »
Yikes!
This whole "cougar attack" issue is getting pretty serious. Even in Southwestern Oregon, where it's legal to hunt 'em, we're getting reports of attacks on livestock and house pets. Here's an article on one that happened in April near where I live.
It was originally from our local paper, but I found it on the Mountain Lion Foundation website, of all places.
http://www.mountainlion.org/newsroom_article.asp?offset=25&news_id=39
Cougar season (and bear season) opens August 1st, so hopefully the local hunting community can cut down the population a bit. If only we could use hounds...