Author Topic: Reloading Lyman Slugs  (Read 837 times)

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Reloading Lyman Slugs
« on: July 31, 2004, 06:06:39 AM »
Just ordered the mold for the lyman slugs from another member here, and this will be my first reloading experiment. Will be using with my 12ga Ultra Slug.

I am told that the loads listed in the Lyman manual (thats on the way too) are for star crimped loads.

I am on a budget, and didn't want to purchase a machine and was planning on loading with a roll crimper and a drill press. Powder would be weighed on a scale. I am not going to be loading more than a 100 or so per year, so I will be using new shells (as I understand it, one of the purposes for the reloading mahine is to re-form the shells).

Has anyone loaded them this way, and what kind of results should I expect?

Do I need to change any of the load data if it was meant for star crimp method, or are they interchangeable?

Offline Leftoverdj

Reloading Lyman Slugs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 09:55:07 AM »
Yes, the crimp makes a difference. Unfortunately there is little roll crimp data available. My method is to select star crimped data that shows less than 9000 lup or to reduce star crimped data by 5%. I dunno that this is safe, only that I have not blown up any shotguns doing it.

Shells that have been roll crimped may be easily reloaded by roll crimping. They can be had by the garbage bag full after police qualification since almost no one reloads them.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Reloading Lyman Slugs
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 08:13:08 PM »
I just do star crimps on all my slug loads.  I load the Lyman Slug, and the Dangerous Game Slugs from Ballistic Products.  The roll crimper is too expensive for the few loads I go through a year.  I use the loads for star crimps, and have good results.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Reloading Lyman Slugs
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 10:48:07 AM »
Sourdough,

I do not have a shotshell reloader, so it would be less expensive for me to go with the roll crimp. You can get the tool for less than $10 and use it with a drill press. I will be using a scale to measure the powder and don't have a need to load large quantities.

I think I am going to try the under powered loads out and see how it works with the roll crimp.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Reloading Lyman Slugs
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 10:09:34 AM »
HunteNut:  I have both a MEC press and a Lee Loadall.  The LEE actually does a better job than the MEC on slugs.  You sometimes have to put pressure on the slug and wad to press them below the crimp line before crimping.  The lee does a better job of this.  The LEE is not that expensive, and if you look around you can probably find a used one for a lot less.  Most people usually get one and use it a few times then move up to a larger press.  They then give it away, throw it away, or sell it cheap.  Anyway all the roll crimping tools I have seen are just as, or more expensive as the LEE Loadall.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.