Author Topic: Coues Deer Info  (Read 787 times)

Offline wrboard

• Trade Count: (0)
Coues Deer Info
« on: July 31, 2004, 12:36:23 PM »
I have a Coues deer hunt this fall in Arizona.  Took the Spotting Scope out dusted it off, and sent the binos in for cleaning.  My question is I plan on taking my Mod 70 in .270.  Do you think sighting in 3" high at 100 yards with a 130 Federal Premium bullet is sufficient??  When I was stationed down there I remember some of those shots getting pretty long.  Any thoughts ??

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Coues Deer Info
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 05:54:10 PM »
Personally I think you're setting yourself up for a miss over the back at mid range. Coues are small deer. For sure I'd want to be no more than 3" high or low at any point in the trajectory set up for max point blank range. With a 130 grain .270 that should be somewhere near 300 yards as best as I recall. Unless you have a good rangefinder it will do you little good to be shooting further anyway.

Have you practiced at such ranges? Frofm field positions NOT on the bench? How much? Can you keep all shots from various field positions at 300 yards in an 8" diameter circle? With NO black dot on a white background? Unless you can honestly answer yes to all of those questions you have no business shooting beyond 250 yards.

The fact you ask makes me think the answers to most are no.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Coues Deer Info
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 05:56:55 PM »
I'll bet you were at Fort Huachuca.
 Shots can get long and there is nothing wrong with 3" high@ 100 yds.
I use a 270 and it's perfect for our deer. You are on the right track. 130 grain bullets are the right tool for Coues deer. What unit did you draw?

Elwood
Vae Victis

Offline wrboard

Coues Deer Info
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 07:59:59 AM »
Elwood, I have a November tag for Fort Huachuca. I was stationed there for about 6 years, and took 2 nice Coues (95") with a bow.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Coues Deer Info
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 08:38:01 AM »
I've been out around Globe for Coues.  I, and one brother-in-law, were the eyes and direction givers (hand signals) for my other brother-in-law that lives out there.  He took a nice 3x3 (western count) that year.  Whew!  Talk about a lot of work!  He took that one with a 30-30 at 150 yds after a long spot and stalk.  He now uses a 300 win.  No doubt a 270 would be an excellent choice.  I think a shot out to 250-300 yds is reasonable if, like GB said, you have your ducks in a row.  Since you are/were in the military you are no doubt proficient in shooting.  But if you have been able to take 2 with a bow, which is no small feat, then getting an opportunity under 250 yds should be a piece of cake.  I think that I would sight in at 2" high and use a rangefinder as well.  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline MF

• Avid Poster
Coues Info
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 02:50:31 PM »
Do yourself a favor and go someplace where you can actually set your zero at 300 yards, not 3" high@100. After you get your 300 yard zero then shoot your rifle at 100 and 200 and even 400 yards and find out for yourself how high or low your bullet hits. Follow GB's advice and practice because Coues are small and some of that country is pretty wide open and offers some long shots. I got one last year and it was a 400 yard shot(wide open country w/no cover in b/w us!) But, beings as you have bow hunted them before, you're probably pretty sneaky and can get a reasonably close shot. Have a good hunt! Mike