Author Topic: 41 REM.Mag mold?  (Read 841 times)

Offline 3006va

• Trade Count: (0)
41 REM.Mag mold?
« on: July 31, 2004, 06:54:04 PM »
I would like to get a medium heavy weight for a 4.5/8 NMBH with a 1-n-20
twist. I have been playing with the form at mountain molds and would like your input. I would like(have two hands so I can want in one and@@@)
about a 245gr plain base with two lube groves in either the Keith or ogival flat point. This would be for Virginia Deer and smaller. Any thoughts on my choice's or are there better ones out there. Any shot would be 75yds or less. Thanks up front.
Mauser-when you care enough to shoot the best!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
41 REM.Mag mold?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 02:22:42 AM »
One thing I'd do is measure the twist rate in your barrel, and run the Greenhill formula on it to see what is the longest bullet you can stabilize. Also keep in mind you might not be able to regulate the sights for a bullet that heavy.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline GradyL41

• Avid Poster
41 REM.Mag mold?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 11:17:39 AM »
3006a is right -- I have an SSK 275 gr mold and my DWA and any Blackhawk I have had likes it--that is it stabilizes it but my two 5.5 Redhawks do not do as well-- in wet mags it will turn around and go side ways etc So be careful what you choose-  my LBT 240 LWN gc does fine -as does the Lyman 410459 and the 230 keith style from Leadheads or Creeker bullets-
          As to your deer hunting -- most any 210 and above will go on through said whitetail target-- I would go no heavier than 240 or so to be able to keep up velocity -- the 275 SSK will do about 1280+ my 230 Keith will get to about 1400 and the 240 gr LBT will do about 1360-- I have gotten the Lyman 410459 well up into the 1400+ range- with a decent flat nose .320 -330 and good weight 240  or so you should be fine. While I have a an LBT mold I am thinking of a Mt mold my self :)

Offline 3006va

41 mold
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 04:58:07 AM »
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try the Dry creek DC 41-230-K
and if they work good in my gun I'll get 500 to work up and ring out this
new gun. A little close to season to wait on a mold and still have workup
time before season this time around. I'll get the chrono and targets ready
and post my results. I'll order from Dan after the first of the year (unless
these Dry Creeks make me just stockup big time and save the lead for the 44's and 45's) before tax time. Thanks again. Aaron

Offline LAH

• Contributor
LAH
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 12:37:32 AM »
Aaron all your STUFF goes out today.
Joshua 1:9

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
.41Magnum Moulds
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 01:04:07 AM »
Aaron, you might also want to talk to NEI about a mould some of us had done a couple years back. I got the mould as a 250gr.WFNGC while the others got the plain base version. I find it a good compromise for all my .41magnum firearms (43 at last count with shooters and safe queens). I've killed everthing from gophers to African plains game with the bullet. I also brained a mean old range cow at hand-shaking distance with a bullet of the same design years ago. Try some from CP or Marshall at BTB. Hope you find what you're looking for pard. :-)
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline 3006va

41MAG
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 03:06:19 PM »
Thanks LAH, I'm dusting off the rockchucker and getting ready!! JOE MACK
I'll print this topic off so I don't lose it and if I decide to go heavyer I'll check into that one. Thanks all. Aaron

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Wow Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 10:11:14 PM »
How many ya got Joe?  Some folks here think I'm crazy 'cause I have 3 41's.  You make me feel much more normal.  Better get me 'nother one.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline LAH

• Contributor
41 REM.Mag mold?
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 12:28:12 AM »
Hope the bullets work for you Aaron. They are the DC 41-230-K. I sell more of these than one would think.....with all the press that the 41 is dead. Let us know how they do. God Bless.
Joshua 1:9

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Re: Wow Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 03:36:47 PM »
Quote from: Dand
How many ya got Joe?  Some folks here think I'm crazy 'cause I have 3 41's.  You make me feel much more normal.  Better get me 'nother one.

:D Dand, why be normal? I've got four calibers in handguns; .22LR, .41, .45ACP, and .475Linebaugh. I'd like to have at least one of every .41Magnum ever made. I've even got some stuff stored with a friend out of state that I can't have here in Kalifornia. I'm going to hunt caribou and moose with some sort of .41 caliber handgun next time I'm up to see a friend in Wasilla.  :wink:
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41