Author Topic: Meanest and nicest western movie charecter  (Read 13343 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Meanest and nicest western movie charecter
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 07:44:19 AM »
You know, I been thinking on this.  Think about Jay Silverheels charector "Tonto".  Think how badly he was treated, abused, and beaten.  Yet he never went after retalliation, or retrabution.  I mean I would have shot some of those guys on sight after the way they treated him, but no he always did the right thing and brought them in alive and usually uninjured.  He never complained, just did his job as the Lone Ranger's partner.  Letting the Lone Ranger take all the credit. 

The sign of a great actor, who is all but forgotten by history and the public.  Jay Silverheels has always been and will always be one of my fovorite actors.  He played great parts in other movies as well, far more than people realise.  About 70 films total.

Look at his part in Key Largo with Boogy and Bacall.  And also his potraial of Geronimo.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline frontiersman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 08:22:28 PM »
Rooster Cogburn in True grit. Not only the nicest but far and away the greatest. I have watched the movie maybe 100 times and it still thrills me when he turns his horse spins his rifle and say,s the famous quote. CAn anyone give me his quote?
I believe it was "Fill your hands you Son Of A B---h!".

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2007, 11:10:51 AM »
You are right!
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 07:27:05 PM »
You all Frogot the Best William Boyd Hopalong Cassidy was the gratest far differant from the hopalong in the Books
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline bkraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »
Meanest without doubt or question has got to be Blue Duck, that guy would give Charlie Manson nightmares. Nicest would be Deets, dude had some major good karma.
Knowledge is Power, the more you know the more you know.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 07:02:53 AM »
Billy
are you talking about when calmly says "Ned Pepper, fill your hands you SOB"
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
That is the Quote REX and I think Ned Pepper (Bobby Duval) was the best bad guy ever in a western.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 01:53:58 PM »
After thinking about this for almost a year and a half (not all the time mind you), I have come to the conclusion it is ONE GUY for BOTH.
Woodrow F. Call. He had a kind side toward his son at times, took more guff than necessary from Claire, and protected, and avenged his own with the ruthlessness of Attila the Hun.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Duke0313

• Contributor
  • I am the way, the truth, and the life. -John 14:6
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
I don't know about meanest , but the most dangerous had to be Hoppy with that dad burn double of his. Even John Wayne yelled before he went in that jail...

:-)
Yes, yes, it's an old thread...just wanted to point out that the character's name was Stumpy, not Hoppy.
"Republic:  I like the sound of the word -- means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, however they choose.  Some words give you a deep feeling.  Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat. -John Wayne- The Alamo

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 06:41:59 AM »
Okay... okay.   :-\  It IS an old thread, but since Duke brought it back up and I just watched the rebroadcast of "Lonesome Dove"...  ;)

Dee is aboslutely correct!  Do a carefull study of Woodrow F. Cull throughout the series.  Virtually every scene he was in exposed another aspect of his incredibly complex character.   :o  Jones should have gotton some type of award for his performance.  Would that we had a nation of men like him!

Crap,  :-[  Listen to me... I'm a movie critic now...  ::)

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Skunk

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 07:11:18 AM »
I kind of like Hackman in Unforgiven talking about the "Duck of Death".

For one of the meanest, I'd have to go with Gene Hackman as Little Bill Daggett in, The Unforgiven. He's a genuine sociopath.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 06:48:56 AM »
Blue Duck was a pretty bad guy in Lonesome Dove.  Roy Rogers was sweet on Dale Evans.

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »
have ya'll seen ythe sequels to lonesome dove called streets of laredo and dead man walking. in one of them there is a guy called markie marx. that was one mean hombre. i would have to agree that Deets was the nicest guy in all westerns.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »
I ahve seen the streets of Larado, but not dead man walking I'll have to see if I can find it. Thanks.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2009, 06:28:47 AM »
sequels to lonesome dove called streets of laredo and dead man walking.

Never even heard of them!   :o  Are they available on CD?  Do they have any of the same characters?  what's the plots?

Deets was the nicest guy in all westerns.

Musta been, my wife-mate cried when he got stuck...   :-[  But then, she just one a them emotional type wimmins...   ::)  I was more interested in his (Deet's) ridin britches, looked like confederate cavalry but that's not likely...  ;)  I believe his gun gear was union though...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2009, 06:38:14 AM »
Hummmmm.  I really should research before I type...  :-[

Comanche Moon, 1997, Larry Jeff McMurtry
This is Deets's first chronological appearance in the books. This book explains that he was an escaped slave who was offered a job in the Texas Rangers by Woodrow F. Call. He begins by working as a cook for Rangers while traveling. Later on, when their captain Inish Scull leaves the troop and takes the Kickapoo tracker Famous Shoes with him, Deets takes on the role of tracker.

I never knew there was a whole series of these novels.  LD was only the first!  I gotta get out more...  :-[
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mrbigtexan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »
sequels to lonesome dove called streets of laredo and dead man walking.

Never even heard of them!   :o  Are they available on CD?  Do they have any of the same characters?  what's the plots?

Deets was the nicest guy in all westerns.

Musta been, my wife-mate cried when he got stuck...   :-[  But then, she just one a them emotional type wimmins...   ::)  I was more interested in his (Deet's) ridin britches, looked like confederate cavalry but that's not likely...  ;)  I believe his gun gear was union though...  :-\
yeah, they are on dvd, they have the same characters but different actors. one of the movies is when they are real young and just becoming Texas Rangers.

Offline Duke0313

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »
"Dead Man's Walk" is set during the days of the Republic. The new Rangers are sent to invade New Mexico with disastrous results. "Comanche Moon" is set between the former and the original "Lonesome Dove."
"Republic:  I like the sound of the word -- means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, however they choose.  Some words give you a deep feeling.  Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat. -John Wayne- The Alamo

Offline mrbigtexan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 05:56:20 AM »
i just got to watch comanche moon the other day. it was as good as the others too.

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2010, 04:35:59 AM »
I read the whole series.  Great books.  I guess Id have to say Blue Duck was a bad one alright.... 

Offline Duke0313

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2010, 07:56:20 PM »
Don't be so hard on yerself, there, Ducky!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
Kirk Douglas in the Villain for mean, but a hillarious mean. ;) Too many good guys to easily choose just one but Tom Selleck would be high on the list if you exclude the numerous B Western cowboys. That said I'll agree with Sourdough on Jay Silverheels. He's been a lifelong hero to me.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »
Karl Malden played Tom Fitch in the movie Nevada Smith.  Tied a man and his wife to seperate posts looking for gold, tortured the man, skinned the wife in front of him, took her left breast to make a tobacco pouch, set the place on fire as he left and stole the horses.  Spent next several years bragging about it.  Nevada Smith caught up with him, when Fitch got suspicious he offered him tobacco from the pouch cut from his mother's chest.  I take this as a seriouly mean man.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline ppine

• forester
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »
This is a great post.  I liked Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, and Gene Autrey as consistently good guys.  Lone Ranger and Tonto were good guys.  Deets as a fine character.

Bruce Dern in "The Cowboys", definitely Blue Duck from LD, and Jack Palance in Shane.  Clint Eastwood's character in High Plain's Drifter was really nasty.  The bad guys in "North to Alaska" were really bad.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »
Read all the McMurty books and they are great.  Dead Man Walking is a L_O_N_G movie to watch with a wierd ending.

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »

Bronson

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »
Two nice guys that I remember, probably because I had the honor of shaking hands with both of them , and they were Ben Johnson and Gene Autry!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2012, 02:00:43 AM »
Check out Mr. nice guy ,Terence Hill in the "trinity" movies.Certainly one of the funniest!

Offline ppine

• forester
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »
Streak,
Good for you.  Ben Johnson was the best.  Two weeks ago I introduced Waddie Mitchell a native son of Nevada.  He is arguably the world's most famous cowboy poet.  He is a prince of a person.  Livestock people in general are humble, polite, and easy to be around.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2012, 06:25:12 AM »
Al Swearingen could be nice, and mean. Mostly mean.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.