Author Topic: H&G Gang Moulds Worth?  (Read 554 times)

Offline Boge

• Trade Count: (0)
H&G Gang Moulds Worth?
« on: August 06, 2004, 05:57:16 AM »
A buddy of mine just stumbled into an older man who used to cast commercially and has a 10 or so H&G gang moulds in mint condition. The old codger said he paid $130.00 for these moulds & they are in mint condition. What are they worth now?

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
H & G Molds
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 06:23:24 AM »
A six cavity H&G mold is worth about $275 and they go up to 10 cavities and down to 4.  

They are great molds.  I have about 8 or 9 of them and have used them for years.  Hensley and Gibbs is no longer the maker.  The mold business was sold to ( Well, I just had a mind blank).  Anyway, they are still available.

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
price
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 11:42:50 AM »
Price on this is a bit odd.

Before H&G dropped them they were going, if memory serves, for over $300 new.

Now when then appear on ebay the top selling price seems to be around $150 even in VERY good condition.

H&G's price probably reflected the work in making them and the fact that they never were very popular.  The market price on ebay shows what people are now willing to pay.  Odd but these moulds don't command the price that even an old beat up Ideal Armory mould would bring.

Offline haroldclark

• Contributor
H&G Molds
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 11:32:14 AM »
Magma now makes the molds.  I checked with them about 2 months ago on a 6 cavity mold and $275 was their list new price.

The molds never became widely popular because of price and only serious bullet casters would buy them.  H&G was before auto casting machines.  With 3 6 cavity molds, you could have a very good casting day once you got the molds up to temperature.  I used a second 20 pound lead pot to keep metal up to temperature and never let the molds cool.

I put one on the Graybeard a couple of months ago for $150 and never got a bite.  I'm not surprised.  Most people probably have never heard of such a mold.
If anyone wants to shoot CAS and cast their own bullets, the H&G or Magma mold is the way to go.

I have one 357 caliber in a 10 cavity.  The blocks are so big and heavy, that once they get up to operating temperature, you can throw out some bullets with a bottom pour furnace.

I don't use mine that much anymore.

Harold Clark

Offline Two Alpha

H&G Gang Moulds Worth?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 06:56:48 AM »
I was under the impression it was Ballisti-Cast that was now making these molds, am I wrong?

Offline haroldclark

• Contributor
Ballisti-cast
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 09:51:58 AM »
You are correct on Ballisti-cast producing the old H&G Molds.  Magma took Stars Lubrisizers and stuff.  I have dealt with them both and sometimes things get crossed in the mind.

Harold