Author Topic: Reloading Press bullet sizer  (Read 818 times)

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Reloading Press bullet sizer
« on: August 06, 2004, 06:22:23 AM »
I want to resize some 240 grain 44cal SWC's from .430 to .428 diameter!
These will be to use with sabots in my TC Encore muzzle Loader!

I can get another sizer die for my RCBS Luber-Sizer for around $20.00 with shipping and all.
I've seen in a magazine somewhere, a die with a bottle attached that screws onto the top of a standard reloading press!
A special adaptor (I think) goes on in place of the shell holder to push the bullets up through the sizer die and into the bottle!

Anyone here know what I'm talking about?  Any idea what company makes them?

The reason I'd rather go this way than with the Luber-Sizer die is because the only thing these bullets will be used in is the muzzle loader with sabots and will not require lubrication!

Any help will be appreciated.
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 07:30:29 AM »
I believe you are talking about the Lee sizer. I have it for my 44 cal and 375 caliber. The only thing I use my Lyman 450 for is to Lube. I do all sizing with the Lee.

Offline JohnDY

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 08:00:43 AM »
It is a Lee sizing die. I been using one for sizing my cast bullets for my 30/30. Works great. The only thing the bullets have to lubed before sizing them or you will lead the sizing die. At least that is what the directions state. I didn't know if you planned on lubing them if you are just going to put them in a sabot. BTW, if you order the sizing die it comes with a bottle of Alox tumble lube.

Let us know if you do it how it works in your muzzleloader. I would like to try the same thing.
JohnDY

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 10:43:19 AM »
Chuck, yup, you're talking about the Lee pushthough sizer. They don't make them in .428, though. You can get a .427 or a .429 for about $12 from Midway or MidSouth.

Do you really need it, though? Seems to me there would be enough squish in the sabot to accomodate a couple of thous difference.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 02:26:20 AM »
Chuck,
I have 3 of these push through sets and the one thing I've noticed is they tend to be under sized slightly. they (mine, all three) were .001 to.002 smaller than what the dies were marked. I just polished the dies out to what I needed. I use this set up for pistol bullets so the lee tumble lube works fine for me. I do a light coat before sizing and a second coat after. One good coat should be enough but the tumble lube is so easy I just do it twice to be sure. And don't worry about the bullet bases having lube on them. I let some sit for 2 years with the bullets down and the powder resting on them and they fired and cronoed fine.
Dave375HH

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 04:17:02 AM »
I've used the same bullet, sized .430 and they are a real "bear" to put on the powder!

I think I'll go with the same (green Hornady) sabot and order the Lee sizer kit you mentioned and size them to .427 and see how that works!

This unit is cheaper than I thought, $11.64 at Midsouth!

It will probably be sometime after Sept 1st before I order!

I'll come back and let you know how it works for me!

Thanks again;
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline rdnck

Lee sizing dies
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 06:33:26 AM »
Lee will custom make sizing dies in the non-cataloged sizes for a slight additional charge.  They run about twenty bucks or so.  They will tell you if you call them that it will take about six weeks, but the ones that I have ordered special have taken about three weeks.  Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 03:19:55 AM »
Chuck,
I just got curious about the size that various Lee Sizing Dies do actually size cast bullets.  So here are what my Lee Dies do:
.284” sizer—0.2845”
.309” sizer—0.3093”
.358” sizer—0.3575”
.430” sizer—0.4298”
So, I guess it depends on whether the Lee Die will size larger or smaller than specified size.  Regardless, they do work quite well.  Although I generally just size the check in place with my RCBS Lube-O-Matic, and shoot the bullet “as cast”.  I do have a couple of loads that I do fully size the bullet (plain base bullets mostly).  These are generally for straight-wall handgun bullets at moderate velocities.  And, I size the bullets before lubing them.  I have never had any problems with not using lubed bullets as indicated in the instructions.  These are bullets cast from wheel weights or alloys less than than BHN 8.5.  Heat treated bullets are a different story!!!  Good-luck with your sabot project…BCB