Author Topic: who hunts ''winged'' things????  (Read 534 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
who hunts ''winged'' things????
« on: August 07, 2004, 10:48:46 AM »
any one hunt birds of any kind with there H&R/NEFs???. i have a sb1 pardner .410 and a sb1 pardner 12 ga. w/ a 28'' barrel and mod. choke. the .410 bore has a 26'' barrel and full choke. i have not shot any thing w/ them YET....... the .410 has busted porta trap clays at 25+ yards. crossing and angled and strait away the .410 can take all. i have not shot the 12 ga. at clays. i have not shot any birds yet but i want to try doves. the single shots are my onley shot guns so there my choice :P
later :D buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 04:15:37 PM »
Over the years I've shot dove, quail, ducks and geese, both canada and snows with a 20ga. and in the last few years I've used my topper deluxe with heay shot for geese. I usualy use my 870 for ducks and now they are upping the limit on geese I'll probably use it for them. Your 12 ga is fine for big birds and you can use hevi-shot to get a full pattern out of that mod choke. The 410 would be fine for the smaller upland birds as long as you can shoot it accurately.I wouldn't try it for geese or ducks, probably end up with a lot of cripples. should be fine and a good challenge on dove.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 02:29:55 AM »
I love dove hunting with my topper 28. With its light recoil can shoot it all day long.  I also have a NEF .410 but I have a hard time hitting anything as fast as dove with it.  I save it for squirrel and rabbit.  This year I might use it on one of our crow hunts.  As far as big birds(duck and Geese) I use either my SB2 10 ga or my Charles daly pump.  Your 12 ga will be fine but as say before hevishot will pattern a mod choke like a full.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 01:54:53 AM »
Well since the fall of '99 Lil' Tom's been Thumpin' turkey on a regular basis twice a year.... MTNMAN :wink:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 12:34:50 PM »
that 410 of yours will do great on everything from bobwhites up to pheasant. you have to be fast with pheasant though, no 25 yard hail mary's with pheasant.

i use mine on bobwhite hunts with my dad in florida and up here in new york on grouse, etc.

for some reason crazy reason, i like the 410. i just feel real good about taking birds clean with a 1/2oz of 8's. my thing is that if you can't hit them with a 1/2 oz will you with 1 1/8 oz ?

if you use your sb1 for birds, practice with skeet singles or sporting clays shooting low gun, i do just that in the off-months at least once a week. sharpen up for fall !!!! i can't wait !!!

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 01:00:18 PM »
h&r 12 for turkeys   16 ga bbl for dove   410 for all others i dont waterfoul  girlfriend uses nef20  on everthing   i only own 1 other shotgun myself its a double12 i seldom use it.. why when i can somethimes make a double on doves with a single shot????more range with 16 thats why its my dove bbl. instead of 410