Author Topic: 45 Cal Kit Pistol the price is right  (Read 746 times)

Offline kjeff50cal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
45 Cal Kit Pistol the price is right
« on: August 07, 2004, 02:08:54 PM »
Saturday morning I was doing one of my favorite things, crusing a local gunshow. I looked through the rows of booths of hand cannons, milsurps and pseudo-milsurps not really seeing something that I would spend my meager money on..... until I saw a booth with the usual garage fare and .... a muzzleloading pistol displayed prominately in the middle of some gun cleaning supplies. The pistol looked very familar. I had built one just like it two years ago and it is still one of my favorite plinkers (if you can call a .50 caliber plains pistol a plinker). What really drew this piece to me was a lime green sticker on it that said $20 :shock: . I inquired about it. The lady said that it was a kit pistol her husband put together but never shot. It is a .45 caliber with a 6" barrel and a fairly good finished stock. The maker of the gun near as I can tell is from Dikar Spain. The trigger was H & H (hard & harsh) and the gun had a light coat of rust on the barrel, but the bore was sharp and clean. Needless to say I paid her asking price and brought it home along with some ammo for my more modern weaponry. I took it apart and inspected the lock. What I thought was a cheap lock turned out to be a good one (Spanish) complete with an adjustable trigger sear of which I adjusted to about 4Lbs (not too light). The barrel and the rest of the action got the 000 steel wool and oil treatment with the fly and sear group getting a good dose of CLP-Breakfree. Now I have to get some sights on it and .45 balls to see how it shoots. Here are some pics, the darker pistol is my .50 caliber CVA Plains Pistol.

Kjeff50cal 50 & 45 Cal Plains Pistols 1

Kjeff50cal 50 & 45 Cal Plains Pistols 2

KJeff50cal
 :wink:
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
well sports fans
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 05:30:33 PM »
It seems my pictures did not come through. Anyway they are posted in the GB Members Gallery.
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
45 Cal Kit Pistol the price is right
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 02:59:58 AM »
Exactly like one a guy here put together from a Dixie Kit a couple of decades ago.  Really great shooter.

I wish we could still get the wide variety of old Spanish Ardesa pistols and their parts.  Midway and Traditions still have a Kentucky and one or two others But the lock  is a bit different.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes