Author Topic: Stoeger vs Topper Deluxe Classic  (Read 1091 times)

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Stoeger vs Topper Deluxe Classic
« on: August 08, 2004, 11:00:24 AM »
Just looked at one of the Stoeger single shots. I have been waiting on the Topper Deluxe Classic to come out, but this Stoeger seems like an excellent deal.

The gun has vent rib barrel and screw in choke (2 features I look forward to on the Topper Deluxe Classic). The stock is probably not as nice as the TDC will be, but I can do without that for a utility gun.

The Stoeger also has a crossbolt safety in addition to hammer type. Safety must be on to engage hammer (might prevent quick follow up shot, but a good safety feature). Also, the action can be opened and shell ejected with hammer engaged in case you decide not to shoot, also a very nice safety feature.

The recoil pad is very soft, and will probably feel nicer to the shoulder than the hard ones that most NEF/H&R guns have.

The finish is all matte blue, vs the nickel finish on the TDC, but again, for a utility gun, not much of a need for it.

The Stoeger is made in Brazil, not USA.

The Stoeger was going for $95 at Gander Mountain, not sure where the TDC will be, but the standard pardner is right at the same price as the Stoeger, so I bet the TDC will be at least $150.

What do you guys think?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 05:08:28 PM »
I'd wait for the tdc. The feel of the stoeger just seems cheap to me. The ones I've had my hands had very stiff actions. I'm very biased though. Made in America is worth $50.00 to me as is the over all look and feel of the gun. I haven't actually had my hands on a tdc yet but the other H&Rs I own hadle nicely and would only be that much better with a vent rib.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 12:09:27 PM »
The action on the Stoeger I examined was very smooth. The finish was just as good as my Pardner. Im expecting the TDC to be nicer, but lets face it, none of these are English fowling pieces; they're just light, dependable guns for beating around. I like the looks of the TDC, but not sure its a huge selling point to me. I'm more interested in the vent rib and screw in chokes. Also, you can actually buy the Stoeger right now. Not looking too good on the TDC in time for this season. The Stoeger also has the additional safety features to consider.

Offline iwoodbutcher

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 03:54:57 PM »
I called customer service at NEF yesterday and they told me that they were sending out a big shipment to the distributors today. They also said that they are moving to a new building which has a shipping dept. larger than the whole building they are in now. So today I ordered the Topper Deluxe Classic. I will just have to wait and see how long it takes to arrive!

Monte

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 04:00:06 PM »
Where did you order it? I guess I'm going to do the walmart thing since it's so cheap. I love supporting the little guy but I can't afford thathe price difference.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline iwoodbutcher

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 05:52:31 PM »
I ordered mine thru Gander Mountain. I could order thru Wal-mart for $142.87 plus tax.