Author Topic: Ported Glocks .... Myth or Facts?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline DelGue

• Trade Count: (0)
Ported Glocks .... Myth or Facts?
« on: August 09, 2004, 03:58:41 AM »
I posted this in the "Glock Handguns" section, then thought it would be more appropriate here, in the "Self Defense" forum.

I have more than a few Glocks, 2 of which are ported.  A model 31 and a model 23.

I really like the ported Glocks.  I carry them for defense.

I'm a retired LEO and for 8 years, I carried a 'Magnaported' "Colt" Python, .357 mag. w/o any problems.  This was some time ago.

The reason I like the ported firearms, is that they come rapidly back on target.  I've compared simular "Glock," model 22s, (ported vs non barrel) and it is astonishing how fast the ported Glocks come back on target.

Question:  I've read how you shouldn't use ported guns for defense, as it is a liability.  This hasn't been the case for me.  Is their any truth to ported guns being a hinderance in the defense of one's life/use or have I been lucky?  Is this based in FACT OR MYTH?
Del Gue

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 08:01:27 AM »
In low light conditions the fire from the blast directed upward in front of your eyes, would tend to blind you momentarily making an accurate quick follow up shot very difficult.
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 08:13:04 AM »
You know, I've heard that also, but I absolutely loved how my Mag-na-ported Officers model handled.  I could shoot it quick and get back on targer sooner than with a non-ported 5 in Kimber.  I do know that ports work well as I had to change the rear sight height because they were shooting low after I got them back (did the officers and a commander).  Is the flash a real fact or is it someone's 'what if'?  "Oh, I don't like the ports, what if they blind you at night?"  The only way to know for sure would be to go out at night with a ported and non-ported and a friend with a quick thumb and a stop watch.  I'd be interested to hear back if you noticed any discomfort from the flash or not.  Any pictures I've seen of shooting at night, there is so much muzzle flash that I'd don't think you would notice any additional flash from the ports.  Then the question becomes, which factory loads produce the least amount of flash.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 05:37:54 PM »
We have debunked this myth sevearl time in night shoot classes,  you wont go blind you will still be able to get follow up shots on target quickly at 10yds and under  and also you still can shoot he gun at a retention postion without burrning yourself!  by simpling rolling the gun outwards  ports facing outaway from you

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 12:43:50 AM »
Whatever :roll:
 If common sense doesn't tell you that when your eyes are accustomed to the dark ( pupils wide open) that a big ball of fire up in your face will momentarily blind you, then I will never convince you. If you want a ported gun, get one. Also Im not interested in turning my gun sideways,or upside down in order to use it in the dark. Aint gonna stand on my head either. Of course that is just my two cents and change worth.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 06:09:58 AM »
neither am i, since i do not own a ported gun, but have taught many that do you must learn to adapt ones training to ones gear and when i taught a class of wheelchair bound folks  some had ported guns including revolvers that were ported, and issue were raised in close contact distances, the modified retention postion is very usefull against grabs as well, by comming out of the holster and roating the gun outboard at an angle  butt of gun tucked into your ribs  it allows you to use the gun in extreme cqb condtions, maybe you should get some training by the way this method is also taught by gabe saurez and the lapd! i guess iam wrong huh! also when will you ever be in a gunfight in total darkness! street light car lights etc, lots of ambiant light in the world except maybe in your house  but thats what flashlights are for!  you will not beblinded to the point of not being able to defend, have a nice day :grin:

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 07:00:46 AM »
This all depends on the intensity of the Flash!
Not taking sides in the debate,.....But, A flash
and a loud report can be quite disorienting in the darkness.
This is why Flash/Bang grenades were created.
It has been proven that the person tossing the grenade
will not be anywhere near as disoriented as the person recieving
the grenade, simply because they are expecting it!
I would assume that this fact would apply to the person pulling
the trigger of a handgun in the darkness also.
They would be expecting what is about to happen.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 09:23:58 AM »
I really didnt want to get all involved in this. I was only offering a point of view to someone who requested it. But, since the ball is already rolling down the hill..... Let me ask, have you ever had a flash photo taken ,even in subdued light? Did you see the little blue dots in front of your eyes? Did they take a little while to go away? Is that brighter or more intense than a big bore firearm in the dark? Would it be a little difficult to see an assailant in the dark with those dots before your eyes? Also, it has been my  experience that most "nare-do-wells" try to do there dastardly deeds in the cover of the darkest, and most isolated, spot they can find. But thats just my experience, and I am no expert on anything, just opinionated. I have, by the way, received quite a bit of training. I just dont have to mention it every time I submit a post. I do agree that a person should train with the equipment they are going to use, so there reaction is conditioned and comes as natural as possible. We are not all highly trained and experienced professionals and we dont encounter these types of events on a regular basis, so we ( read I ) dont need to complicate the process of reacting by varying the equipment. Keep it as simple as possible, is my rule. Dont want to have to remember to roll my gun 'cause it dark.
Again this is a personal issue and if you like a ported gun and feel comfortable with it, go for it. The porting absolutely does help with recoil and recovery time would be faster if it doesnt bother your eyes. I do have a .44 special that is ported and it really handles well, but it D___ sure puts on a light show in the dark and I choose not to use it in those conditions if at all possible. At this time it has a comfortable home in the top right desk drawer in my office. Makes me feel good just having it there.
 Again, J M H O

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 10:09:51 AM »
ahah a misunderstanding the rolling of the gun outboard is not to eliminate flash but to keep blow back for the ports form expelling gases into your face or body thats why we roll the gun outward! and yes simple is better, but fot those that have them they better have all the issues worked out of them and yah i belive the flash form the camera is brighter and more intense than the gun fire!

Offline S.S.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 08:12:01 AM »
This is one of those kind of debates that will never have a definate
answer. Way too many variables can come into play!
Hey Twodollarpistol,  You live anywhere near Carrollton?
I'm about 15 miles from it.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 08:34:21 AM »
Quote from: S.Sumner
This is one of those kind of debates that will never have a definate
answer. Way too many variables can come into play!
Hey Twodollarpistol,  You live anywhere near Carrollton?
I'm about 15 miles from it.

S.Sumner
 You hit the nail on the head. Thats why I said I was just offering a point of view, not gospel.
 And Yes I do, right in town over behind the lake a couple of blocks. I noticed you were from West Ga. and wondered exactly which part. Nice to meet a neighbor. :D

Offline S.S.

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 07:38:10 AM »
I can almost throw a rock into McIntosh Reserve
from the house.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 08:18:18 AM »
Quote from: S.Sumner
I can almost throw a rock into McIntosh Reserve
from the house.

:D  I know that area well. Used to hunt and fish up and down both sides of the river around there. Also used to walk the trails in the reserve about 6 years and 50 pounds ago. Still enjoy visiting and just vegitating up on council bluff when I get a chance. It is to a small world.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 08:33:59 AM »
One of the Biggest WhiteTail Bucks I have ever
Seen was in the Big field right below that bluff.

Where do you shoot?
Do you use the range at Advanced Bullets in Temple?

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 09:28:31 AM »
Mr S Sumner, I have sent you a PM. Check it out.  
Mr DelGue--Sorry for kidnaping your thread. Just plain rude of me. Sometimes things just happen. :oops:

Offline DelGue

No Problem
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2004, 04:08:07 PM »
No problem Mr. $2pistol..... It adds a little to the thread.  Otherwise things just get a might toooo, analytical.

Delgue
Del Gue

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »
I used to think I wanted a ported gun, but after getting close to one, I changed my mind.  The guy next to me at the PD range was using a ported 9mm on the barricade, and angled the ports my way as he fired.  Bits of powder and gas caught me in the face six feet away, and put me out of commission for a minute.  Good thing it was just a live-fire exercise or I'd have been in deep doo-doo.  

A defensive shooting may happen at ten feet, but quite a few happen closer, and at Halitosis range, those ports are going to be close to your face/body/arm when the gun goes off.  Given all that you have to contend with right then, being stung by ejecta or blinded by hot powder gas can only make things worse!   :eek:   No ported guns for me, thanks.  The downside offsets any potential benefits I can think of.

As for muzzle flash, it's already there, I doubt the ports would make it much worse.  Low-flash loads are an idea long overdue, and finally available.  Hope this helps.

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Swat Dude

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 09:34:43 PM »
I can't believe all you guys giving opinions having never fired a ported gun at night. I have personally fired my Glock 22C (with Winchester Silvertips) at night more times than I can count and have never experienced any discomfort or more muzzle flash than is already there from a standard barrel. As far as muzzle flash blinding you, when I was in the academy, before the widespread acceptance of tritium sights, we wer actually trained to use the muzzle flash at night to align your sights. You don't believe it??? Get off your rear and head out to the range one night. You can actually use the muzzle flash to line your sights on the target and guess what??? You can still see the target after numerous rounds at night.

There is no doubt in my mind that a ported gun provides less muzzle flip and quicker follow up shots. And the ports on the Glock are offset about 30 degrees from top center to either side, not pointing straight up, so they are minimally distracting when firing at night and the flame does not get in the way of the sights.

Also, it definitely depends on the round...

http://www.ammolab.com/page/page/1617226.htm

http://www.thegunzone.com/556flash.html

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Bushmaster-Pistol/Mvc-017F.jpg

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 10:55:28 PM »
Quote from: Swat Dude
... As far as muzzle flash blinding you, when I was in the academy, before the widespread acceptance of tritium sights, we wer actually trained to use the muzzle flash at night to align your sights. You don't believe it??? Get off your rear and head out to the range one night. You can actually use the muzzle flash to line your sights on the target and guess what??? You can still see the target after numerous rounds at night.

I can relate to that! We did the same thing in the academy and our department continued that training.  Didn't have any problem qualifying at night.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2005, 11:44:18 AM »
Given all the things that go can wrong when that adrenaline dump hits in a shooting situation, I don't think it's a good idea to add any more.  If you don't think porting can hurt you, aim the ports toward something like a paper target and fire a shot from a foot or two away.  The paper will be shredded.  Now imagine you are in your vehicle at an intersection, and a carjacker tries to steal your ride.  He's in your face before you can react, and the only shot you can get off is with the muzzle a few inches from your body.   :shock:   Are you sure you want to pull that trigger?  Armed encounters at any distance are rare indeed, most are at Halitosis range.  Practice with any handgun will help me fire rapidly a lot better than some gimmick that could backfire on me!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Nanuk

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 04:57:23 PM »
I like ported handguns. I will never buy another ported heavy caliber rifle though. If want to see muzzle flash try a 2 1/8 BBL 357 magnum loaded with 2400 :eek:.

Offline Jerry J

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
Flash
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 01:09:07 AM »
Bottom line here you are talking about tactics and training. Any obstacle can be overcome with the proper training and tactics. If you train with ported guns at night or low light and learn to shoot that way you will have no problem. If you just pick up a ported gun you are not familiar with and try it you will have a problem. Just my $0.02.  Jerry J