Author Topic: Freedom Arms Grips  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Roller

• Trade Count: (0)
Freedom Arms Grips
« on: January 16, 2003, 12:28:00 PM »
I bought a new Freedom Arms Premier Grade .454 about two weeks ago, after wanting one for about 10 years.  The hardwood grips have already cracked on it.  I called Freedom Arms and they said to send the gun back to them and they would replace the grips.  I told them I would pay the difference if they would replace the hardwood grips with micarta.  They said they could do that.  Has anyone else had this problem with the hardwood grips and did you get the micarta as a replacement?  How did they hold up?  It makes me sick to have to send the gun away after waiting 10 years for one and then only having it for two weeks.

Offline Zeus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Freedom Arms Grips
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 05:18:23 PM »
I had the same thing happen.  I paid the $33 upgrade to the Micartas.  They are absolutely great.  They are what I wanted anyway so it worked out well actually.  John does a great job at FA with fitting the new ones and they had mine back to me within about 2 weeks.  Definetely go with the micartas.  Gs

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
Freedom Arms Grips
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 07:14:50 PM »
I have all of my FAs fitted with micarta grip panels.  I have had the wood panels disengrate under recoil.  Micarta is IMNSHO the only way to go on these revolvers.

Offline Henry Bowman

Freedom Arms Stock Breakage-???
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 02:54:43 PM »
Pardon me in asking the question, why would there be an upgrade option on the Premiere Models?
IMHO the rosewood laminates regularly break whether it's an inherent weakness or the consumer making a bad choice in resting the gun while firing the Micarta option solves the probelem of grips breaking.

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
Freedom Arms Grips
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 06:26:52 PM »
The wooden grips come standard on the Premier grade.  Micarta grip panels cost extra because this option is not standard.

Offline SIMO

Freedom Arms Grips
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2003, 07:32:59 AM »
Roller,  The first FA I bought about 6 years ago had the wood grips. They lasted until this past summer when I let someone at our range try the gun. The grips hit the bench in recoil and cracked. I paid the $32 and upgraded to Micarta. I have Micarta on my other FA's and never had a problem. I have read Micarta is about the stongest material available, and is only way to go with heavy calibers, 454, and above.

Offline Roller

Freedom Arms Grips
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2003, 03:28:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  When I get my gun back, it will have micarta.

Offline wildman

• Avid Poster
Freedom Arms Grips
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 01:45:45 PM »
I've seen a field grade .454 used, that had the rubber pachmayr grips on it.  The grips had two splits in it, one on each side running down the backstrap.  They were about 1/4 inch long each.  Apparently, even the pachmayrs, which wrap around the back, will begin to split under recoil.  Has anyone here shot one of these with pachmayrs versus one with Micarta or wood grips?  Some folks like the idea of rubber grips, but I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to go with Micarta, and just let the revolver roll back under the recoil.  It seems like when you first start out shooting the handcannons, the recoil can be a little harsh, until you learn exactly how to grip and go with the gun under firing.
The intruder turns around slowly, sees both barrels, and hears a low-deep voice say "Son, the left one's iron and the right one's steel, if the left one don't get you, the right one will"

Offline Roller

Freedom Arms Grips
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 05:17:07 PM »
My .454 is back at Freedom Arms right now getting Micarta grips put on it.  I'm sure I will like them better than the hardwood, although the hardwood did look nice.  While they have my gun, they are doing a 3lb. action job, also.